Discuss The worse money you have worked for? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Guys,

The worst I have worked for is £0.00 per hour over a weekend 2 x 12 hour days in a garage trying to sort out some Dbs and help a friend.

Its a long story, I was very green and wont get caught again!!...

Best wishes,

Rex

Mines £10 ph and have to use own transport I had to take as needs must at the moment lads, got made redundant I was on £13.65ph with van supplied, to many companies are taking the beep,I seen a job for an approved spark other week and where paying £9.50 what a joke!!!

in cornwall many sparks still working for £8.00
not mates
time served sparks
not just in the current climate
its been like it for years
this is employed rate,supply own tools
its what you call....wrong!

The fact is, that the installs I done were 100%, couple of untidy cables clipped to a ceiling slab of a 3mtr run, hardly enough to hold 10 weeks money for

Marc, never ever do 10 weeks work without a draw.

The most I give is 4 weeks, & that's only to long time & trusted clients. Otherwise I invoice for work done & materials supplied every 2 weeks for payment within 2 weeks.

Im workin for agency up london, they payin 12.50 an hour, which is worst i ever worked for, last year was gettin 250 quid a day!! and 2 days ago i had agency offer me 1 weeks work in dorking for 10 quid an hour, 8 hours, thats 80 quid a day!! after tax 64 quid a day!! times are hard at the mo so just gotta sit through it, things will pick up, im currently working 94 hours a week over 7 days on london job, take home 940 quid, take off 83 quid travelcard and 20 quid to the guild to pay me, left with 837 quid. after taking on a mortgage when was earning well, i just gotta put the hours in.

Today, £3.50 in materials and 3 hours labour 20 Miles driving...........No charge!!!!!!!

Nice old boy, dangerous installation, couldnt leave it/him like it!!!!

Too soft to be a business man!!!

£6.20 as a mate - evolved to £8.40 ph as spark, did 17th,building regs, 2391, all\out of my own pocket and leave (holidays) I then had my hours cut to 2.5 days a week for 3 months. the guy was a liability and a skinflint
This forced me into going self employed.............glad I did now the *******

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats inspiring lloyd,ive always worked for firms,crap money,hours etc,going on my own,will be a challange but worth it from what ive read on the forum.

im in similar situation lloyd!! i paid for every elec qual i have from my own pocket (apart from 2377) as the royal navy were just as bad skinflints and your old employer!!! (soon adds up)

Thats inspiring lloyd,ive always worked for firms,crap money,hours etc,going on my own,will be a challange but worth it from what ive read on the forum.

go for it. I could write a book mate beleive me, as long as you stay focused and have a goal and work towards it, then you will be fine

in 2005 I was travelling as a telecomms rigger, got back mrs became preggers, went back to college late 20's no money,
scraped by,
got electrical job ,
pants money, :(
mrs on maternity , really hard!!
got better job, still pants money, :(
mrs had baby preggers again, went on maternity,
over these years had qualified with 2330, then out of own leave and money paid for and did building regs course, 17th course, 2391 course, still scraping by and then the pe nis I used to work for put us on 2.5 days a week for 3 months!!!!!!!:eek:
It has ben the hardest time of my life but am now self employed and have lots of work in,
have had 3 lads on as casual labour recently and things are looking good
NICEIC registered and web is
Cu Connected Electrical contractors, domesitc and commercial electrician services based in Chester covering Cheshire, North Wales, Wirral
so to all out there who think its over
just bloody hang on in there , it WILL get better and just give your all and do your best

good luck to all of you:)

Lloyd

thats fine if you live with parents - then everything is beer money!!!
when you have a mrs and kids then nothing is beer money
it then comes down to feeding the kids and clothing them, heating the house and fuel
eddie large - you were lucky at that time
feel for people now strugling to find work and no hope of getting a job after spending years in college
construction was up over 5% nationaly tho so there is hope
I hope all you industrial sparks find work soon and stop doing it out of your cars for cash, as your who - most domestc sparks are competing againsed at the moment
it makes it hard!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well its so funnny,what u put in about wife,kids,etc,my missus preggers again with 2nd kid,getting made redundant so thats exactly what im gonna do,give it all i have off my own back,who knows what i can get/achieve,hope things turn around for every spark out there(only the proper qualified ones) not those chancers on myhammer.

good luck robsparky

all you can do is your best mate, I will advise you tho even tho you are registered as self employed , if your earnings on paper equate to nothing - which they will do turnover v set up costs and outlay then for the first bit you can claim housing benefit and council tax benefit - they dont want to give it to you, took me 5 visits to the council offices with the jumped up women looking down their noses waiting with all the chavs and prams to be told your self employed tho
I know but Im not earning anything - in fact mrs upetty im out of pocket at the moment by 1000,s got kids etc
had to take in bank statements receipts for everything had 2 interviews
they eventually could see I wasnt trying to work the system and got paid out (backdated too) within 6 weeks. and it was a god send . after 4 weeks we stopped it after work picked up but to all of you
help is there if your persistant and can swallow your pride and sit with the great unwashed in the council offices
it really helped us out
hope this helps someone who is stressing over money
lloyd

Just saw a job on Jobsite for qualified Elecs to carry out PAT testing...they will pay £6 per hour for 275 to 300 items A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:...mmmmmmmm I sometimes thank someones God for the job I have;)

Thanks lloyd,im not self employed yet,will probably be in a couple of weeks,have 2 jobs set up to do then get elecsa to check em and get on scheme,buy tester,insurances etc,dilemma dont have any cash so was thinking of getting bank loan,but as you said they want to see bank statements,dont know if id be better off skint,catch 22.

your better off skint on paper, unless the mrs has a bank account and can apply for loan in her name to her account etc, see if there is a spark who will loan u their tester for the testing until you can afford a tester, altho about 400 will get you one off ebay. its a juggling act with money mate, keep your head down ignore the stress and carry on an it will pick up mate
it is worth it eventually

Reply to The worse money you have worked for? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net