Discuss TIPS? Running Neutral Wire in Old Conduit NYC Building approx 1950 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

itrell

-
Reaction score
Hello!
I am setting up a smart home system and will need a neutral wire for the application. Some of the existing switches to be replaced only have 2 wires. I believe I will need to run my own neutral line through the existing conduit. I have done so before and just used a stiff wire with some grease. It was a pain. Any tips for this process?

There are various rods and devices on the market for running cables but their effectiveness is very dependent on access and space in respect of the conduit. I’d also be very wary of the state of the existing wiring and whether it would be prone to damage by the process of threading another cable. You mention use of grease on a previous occasion. I take it that it was a grease that would not have a detrimental effect on the insulation of the cables?
I see that you are in the US. A local spark may be more familiar with you wiring systems. Good luck :)

Don’t use washing up liquid.
It contains salt.

Ouch !! Always use a bit of fairy liquid when pulling through a long or tight duct run. WTF am I going to use now ?
Of course there is the question of how much damage does a small amount of washing up liquid do to the exterior of SWA or H7ORN. Especially when compared to the damage that could take place when being pulled dry. Lets be honest nobody wants that !

If the duct or conduit is plastic, using washing up liquid is not a problem.
It’s metal conduit where it can increase corrosion that’s a problem.

It’s why we don’t recommend using washing up liquid for washing Motorcycles.

If at all possible, pull the existing cables out, pulling in a draw wire as it goes.... tie in your new cable and pull them all back.
You won’t get the cable on cable friction.

Or go with a smart product that doesn’t require a neutral.

There are specific cable pulling lubricants like Ideal 77, that are designed to leave a dry non-corrosive residue after use that doesn't make the cables sticky in the future. I don't know about compatibility with older insulation materials that might be present in your existing wiring.

Last edited:
If at all possible, pull the existing cables out, pulling in a draw wire as it goes.... tie in your new cable and pull them all back.
You won’t get the cable on cable friction.

Or go with a smart product that doesn’t require a neutral.

This actually sounds like a great idea. The building has thin metal conduit. This may be the path of least resistance (literally).

Reply to TIPS? Running Neutral Wire in Old Conduit NYC Building approx 1950 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock