Currently reading:
TN-S high Ze

Discuss TN-S high Ze in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AdieB

-
Reaction score
Testing at a house today. The supply is a TN-S. Earth taken from lead incomer cable. First test with my Megger 1730 gave me Ze of 3.5 Ohms, way above the 0.8 Ohms. Cleaned up the earth clamp and tightened it up and improved the reading to 1.7 Ohms. Tested from the live in the fuseboard to the lead sheath of the incoming supply with no earths attached and again achieved 1.7 Ohms. As this Ze value is the best that can be achieved what is my next action. Contact the local DNO and ask them to sort it, or Install an earth rod and change to TT system. This has obviously happened before top some body. Anyone help ------PLEASE.
AdieB

If you selected a 3 wire configuration for measuring, then it uses a smaller current and is less likely to show-up a problem on a poor joint.

Use the 2 wire measurement as it's more likely to identify the problem!

Thing is I worry as depending on an RCD yet I think we have all had to return 1 or 2 faulty units

I think most here would shudder at the amount of RCDs (of all types) that were returned to manufacturer for replacement on my last and previous projects!! I'm expecting very little change on this project either. And, were talking of a top of the range manufacturer here too!! It's certainly opened my eyes on the reliability of RCD devices!! lol!!

1. Check your readings and test equipment are accurate. (You dont want egg on your face)
2. If its higher than 0.8 inform the DNO they have a possible earthing issue.
3. Rcd's are no substitute for a solid low resistance earth return path (End of)

And remember your 1.7 reading is a no load test. It indicates possible failure of the earthing system for reasons not defined. Under fault conditions the current flow could result in all kinds of nasties. Sure 30ma with an rcd on the end but what if ???

Call the DNO, wait 45 mins on the phone. DNO will turn up and give you the option of digging up the street or to go PME..
When you choose the PME option (and you will) they will leave and say it needs to be booked in by the meter supplyer as they dont do it themselfs.

make sure gas and water bond is up to size.
Good luck

I think most here would shudder at the amount of RCDs (of all types) that were returned to manufacturer for replacement on my last and previous projects!! I'm expecting very little change on this project either. And, were talking of a top of the range manufacturer here too!! It's certainly opened my eyes on the reliability of RCD devices!! lol!!

Youd never guess!!!lol

Reply to TN-S high Ze in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back