Discuss TT Installation in need of some TLC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

egg661

i have a TT system in a sorry state. please could you advise on these points

1.The earth cpc has snapped off the earth rod and is to short to reconnect Its is 2.5 csa. What is the required csa for the main earth 10mm or 16mm

2. there does not appear any bonding on the incoming gas supply. What is the csa required 6mm?

3. the consumer unit is rewireable type protected by a RCD (no sure if its 100ma) between consumer unit and incoming supply. 1 lighting circuit, 2 ring, 1 heating and electric cooker

what protection do i need in the new CU and should i remove the old RCD before the CU
thanks in advance
Mark

1.The earth cpc has snapped off the earth rod and is to short to reconnect Its is 2.5 csa. What is the required csa for the main earth 10mm or 16mm

2. there does not appear any bonding on the incoming gas supply. What is the csa required 6mm?

3. the consumer unit is rewireable type protected by a RCD (no sure if its 100ma) between consumer unit and incoming supply. 1 lighting circuit, 2 ring, 1 heating and electric cooker

what protection do i need in the new CU and should i remove the old RCD before the CU
thanks in advance
Mark
hi mark,
looking at the questions you have asked i would employ the services of a local part p registered spark ;)

hi mark,
looking at the questions you have asked i would employ the services of a local part p registered spark ;)

Thanks for the reply. I am fully quilfied but have not worked in the Industry for over 10 years. So as the old gray matter is a bit rusty just woundered if someone can refresh me as did not have much to do with TT in my practicing years. Also now is 17th edition

regards mark

Hi Mark,

A fair bit has changed over the years and its not something easily put across on a forum!

If you are thinking of getting back into it, it may pay you to sit the update course and get registered as this work would need notifying to your LABC.

A copy of the current 7671 along with the OSG would give you all the info needed.

However, a number of factors would dictate main earthing and bonding sizes which would need to be measured and calculated.

Normally 10mm main earth is fine along with 6mm for main bonding to gas and water, assuming no mechanical protection and test results permitting.

New CU should be dual RCD with not necessarily a stand alone RCD upfront as in days of old, providing your new CU is all insulated and of class II construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi again mark,
what jason has said is spot on. things have changed a bit and this work would need either notifying through labc or you would need to employ a part p registered spark.
all the best ;)

thanks in advance
Mark

Hi mate you didnt state the incomming cable size. The Main Earthing can be worked out in 2 ways. Either by looking at Table 54.7 of the 17th edition or by using the Adiobatic. If your nos sure how to work the adiobatic use the tables is may be overkill but at least your covered.

The Gas ,Water,Structural steel has to have a main earth bond in place of at least 10mm Look at Table 54.8 for sizes.

As for changing the CU get someone whos part P qualified. I am in Scotland and not sure of part P so cant help you there. If your not fully qualified dont touch! The Rcds for the final circuits should be 30ma but if a new CU is getting fitted then it will be sorted then.

Hi Mark,

A fair bit has changed over the years and its not something easily put across on a forum!

If you are thinking of getting back into it, it may pay you to sit the update course and get registered as this work would need notifying to your LABC.

A copy of the current 7671 along with the OSG would give you all the info needed.

However, a number of factors would dictate main earthing and bonding sizes which would need to be measured and calculated.

Normally 10mm main earth is fine along with 6mm for main bonding to gas and water, assuming no mechanical protection and test results permitting.

New CU should be dual RCD with not necessarily a stand alone RCD upfront as in days of old, providing your new CU is all insulated and of class II construction.

Thanks Jason

So just a standard split load CU with 30ma for socket protection would meet current regulations
regards Mark

Usee a small Merlin type 9 with 30ma Modular RCBOs on all circuits. 100A main isolator sorted (may be expensive:()

I bet it will be:D

Prices vary a fair bit, depending on make etc.

You are probably looking around £100+ fully loaded.

Pop into your local wholesalers.

They normally have specials on.:)

I know it will be but if all circuits are on seperate RCBOs no worries Get bonding,Suplimentaryin place and your laughing :D

Speak to a wholesaler such as Newy& ayre, Edmonsons, City Electric, Electric centre and tell them what you need and they will get it for you. Dont accept the first price unless you are possitive its a good one

If your installation is in a sorry state, be aware that the lighting circuits, if they are up and down, woulld ideally be on seperate rcds This may become a problem with imbalance of the rcds if there is a shared neutral
Just a word of caution not to have to sudenly come up against this problem when changing consumer unit

6mm2 is the minimum size for the main protective equipotential bonding to the Gas service pipework on a TT system..although this only usully applies if the Main Earthing conductor is no more than 10mm2,,,,,,,on TNCs supplies the minimum bond is 10mm2

Lots of deals on CU's eg screwfix do a 10way split rcd wylex for £97.86 inc free x5 pendants & x10 dbl sockets.
Regards
Kung

Reply to TT Installation in need of some TLC in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock