Search the forum,

Discuss Type of Crimps Questions in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fjr1300

There's one problem with this site - too much bl**dy information :devil2:
You think you've got your head around something and then you spend hours reading more posts and it does your head in :crazy:

Anyway for a crimper virgin, can some one explain where/why you would use the following crimps -

Pin Connectors
pin-connectors-s.jpg

Spade Connector

yellow-blade-terminals-s.jpg

Ferrules
Ferrule.jpg

Also on a double ferrule would you use say on a 2.5mm ferrule a 2.5mm size crimp tool or a 5mm one or do you need a special double head/die (See told you I know nothing about them)

twin-entry-ferrules-s.jpg

Thanks

Lee

Firstly that is not a spade connector its a flat pin crimp. We use crimps simply to get a better connection in the connector block, klippon terminal blocks etc. It does this because the crimping tool used should be calibrated to give the correct amount of tension on the crimp. The round pin and flat pin are useful when panel wiring for example and you are trying to put more than one cable into a terminal block. the bootlace Ferrule is again used to give the maximum amount of connection possible in the connector. The bootlace ferrule does offer the ability to have double ferrules where two cables can be put into the one crimp so a double headed 2.5mm will accept 2 cables of 2.5mm. Different styles of tool exist for the bootlace crimps but generally the tool can be used for all the different sizes of these crimps (at least mine can....lol)

Firstly that is not a spade connector its a flat pin crimp. We use crimps simply to get a better connection in the connector block, klippon terminal blocks etc. It does this because the crimping tool used should be calibrated to give the correct amount of tension on the crimp. The round pin and flat pin are useful when panel wiring for example and you are trying to put more than one cable into a terminal block. the bootlace Ferrule is again used to give the maximum amount of connection possible in the connector. The bootlace ferrule does offer the ability to have double ferrules where two cables can be put into the one crimp so a double headed 2.5mm will accept 2 cables of 2.5mm. Different styles of tool exist for the bootlace crimps but generally the tool can be used for all the different sizes of these crimps (at least mine can....lol)

Mine can too .. it's a bolster & lump hammer. :cowboy:

I've an auto sizing crimper that doesn't have set dies. Bootlaces are used to stop the cable strands splitting. I don't like using double bootlaces crimps, I hate having to carry out fault finding and alterations on these things.
I like normal Red, yellow and blue crimps, as they can be doubled up in the terminals, and they're usually really sturdy. They dont deform when the terminal is tightened like bootlaces do. I commonly use both systems though.

OK see if I've got this correct

So a Spade and Pin type are good in terminal blocks (solid so screw has something to bite on) and you they allow you to put more than one in, assume the same applies for breakers/RCD's ..etc.

But from other posts I've read, the Ferrules are "soft" and can be damaged by the screws - so why use them and not the above ? (The only reason I've see so far is that ferrules take larger size wires >16mm say)

Just born to ask stupid questions :iamwithstupid:

Lee

a spade crimp is difficult to use in terminal blocks.....lol
You get both a male and female spade crimp which can be used to join a cable (Usually small control wiring) no block needed
df7f_12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
All crimps can be damaged if they are overtightened in a terminal. Sometimes, when you have a lot of terminals in close proximity, then it's a pain to use RYB crimps, and a bootlace is in order. You get uninsulated crimps for larger sizes of cable. The large bootlaces are usually used on tri-rated cable to stop the cable strands pulling apart.

Last edited:
I think I mean "flat pin" type - I need some more wine to think straight, thank god its only around 1.50€ for a good Bottle here :54:

a spade crimp is difficult to use in terminal blocks.....lol
You get both a male and female spade crimp which can be used to join a cable (Usually small control wiring) no block needed
df7f_12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
thank god its only around 1.50€ for a good Bottle here :54: must be subsidised from the plonk the french send over here for a fiver a bottle. give me californian and australian every time.

they're only 2 types of crimp..... them that fit, and them that don't.

Looks like I'm going to have to get a couple of crimp tools - one for up to 6mm and then one for up to 16 or 25mm then a shed load of different crimps. - Prices in the UK are about a 1/3rd of the French versions.

BTW. Wine - When I lived in the UK French wine was crap so always got Australian/South African stuff but since living in France the local stuff is just as good so IT IS true that they send all the crap stuff to the UK.
The stores have a half a shelve dedicated to "Foreign" wines and cost around 7€ a bottle.

Our local LIDL's do some nice South African wines for around 1.80€ a bottle, saw the exact same stuff in Southampton LIDL's for £4.80 last year - so someone if ripping someone off !

Lee with a sort of Electrical reply :D

Our local LIDL's do some nice South African wines for around 1.80€ a bottle, saw the exact same stuff in Southampton LIDL's for £4.80 last year - so someone if ripping someone off !

it's called tax/duty/MP's subsidised bar. we pay £4.80. them that supposedly run the country get it for a quid. and then they fiddle expenses.

Yeh - and I think LIDL's have a hard battle to sell none French wines to the French - Us Brits don't care we will drink it if it tastes good and we'll drink more of it if its cheap,

Even the 0.70 per ltr stuff in the "Brown Plastic Jug" tastes better than some £7 French bottle in the UK but you do have to be a bit ****ed to realise this

Lee

can't beat paul masson californian. and you can use the empty bottle as a pi$$pot after.

I always thought the boxes were a great idea, you finish the vino and inside the box is a nice inflatable pillow to collapse onto. A well thought out packaging idea if ever there was one.

Reply to Type of Crimps Questions in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back