Discuss update my light switch to a Smart Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Basically, I am planning to replace the light switches in my new build house with smart switches and as the switch has WiFi built-in it needs constant power to work so will require a neutral wire

I've pulled the back of the existing lightswitch and have a "Common" and "L1"

2 x Brown wires in Comm
1 x Brown wire in L1

would anyone be able to let me know if there was a neutral cable installed in the light switch? I have attached photos of them here. I notice the x3 blue cables with a cap on the end, would this be the neutral wire and if it is, will I need to plug all 3 of them into the new light switch? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1575539773411.JPEG
    60 KB · Views: 61
  • thumbnail_1575539773658.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 57
Hello they most likely are neutrals, and as that is a 4 way connector you could take a 4th cable from the spare port for your neutral, terminal. easier than connecting all 3

Hello they most likely are neutrals, and as that is a 4 way connector you could take a 4th cable from the spare port for your neutral, terminal. easier than connecting all 3
Thanks for the advice I am very grateful :) I will indeed add another cable from connector to new switch but just out of curiosity if don't use the fourth cable do I need to connect all 3 cables? if yes is there a short answer reason why all 3 cable needs connecting to switch?

Thanks for the advice I am very grateful :) I will indeed add another cable from connector to new switch but just out of curiosity if don't use the fourth cable do I need to connect all 3 cables? if yes is there a short answer reason why all 3 cable needs connecting to switch?
the neutral cables all need to be connected together to maintain the continuity of the circuit. they don't connect into the switch itself.

They have three plated to the switch instead of at the light, loop in loop out. Don't separate the neutrals or somewhere something won't work. If you get stuck get someone in.

Before you disconnect the old switch, wrap a bit of tape around the single brown to distinguish it from the other 2.

And needless to say, the browns will be live. Isolate the circuit at the board before starting

importantly, if your new switch is metal, you need to add an earth fly lead to the faceplate earthing terminal.

Before you disconnect the old switch, wrap a bit of tape around the single brown to distinguish it from the other 2.

And needless to say, the browns will be live. Isolate the circuit at the board before starting

Also note, if you separate the neutrals they can also become live.
AS ABOVE ENSURE IT IS ISOLATED (turned off at board)

Hi, again I think I messed all :( I replaced the smart switch today it worked perfectly until light switch sparked when one of the cable tightening screws touched metal housing and circuit breaker tripped. I lifted up the circuit breaker, all lights come back on all the rooms except the one I caused a pop.

I tested the wires with the mains test screwdriver, at first it seems to be fine but later I observed no power on live cable. I tried the old switch I don't know what I have done but the live cable becomes active again. I tried both switches back and forward a few times now the live cable sometimes live and sometimes not, old switch works fine when the cable becomes alive but the switch caused a pop not working at all.

I suspect I fried the new light switch which I don't care but I have no permanent power on the light switch cables where I caused the pop. I tried turning on and off all the circuit breakers, sometimes I managed the live cable becomes active but only intermittently. I wonder if there is anything I can try before I call an electrician? any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thread closed see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to update my light switch to a Smart Switch in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net