Discuss What do you need in order to carry out domestic electrical work. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am near the end of a
apprenticeship(year 3) in industrial and commercial electrics and feel very competent in what I do, I would like to be self employed when I am qualified, and I was wondering if there is any way I can carry out domestic electrical work legally at the weekend for example is there anything stopping me going and getting a part p qualficatin and doing my own work?
Any feed back is appreciated.

What does your employment contract say?

If you do weekend work, you need to tell hmrc, get the appropriate insurances, tester, part P.... Tell your vehicle insurance ...

There is loads in the business section.....

My only comment is how many people actually want work done at the weekend?

part p is not a qualification. You just need to comply with it and bs7671 when carrying out work

some jobs in domestic are notifiable, ie new circuits, alterations/ additions to circuits in a special location, consumer unit changes.

you could either join a scam like NICEIC/Elecsa or pay LABC a fee to sign it off.

I'm not sure about that.
He will be trained in testing anyway , but I don,t think a qualification is required by the schemes-yet.

Lol, you don't actually need any qualifications at all to do electrical work.
In England, most electrical work doesn't even need notification. Only new circuits, CU changes and work within the zones of a bathroom (or similar) need to be notified.

Yes you should notify HMRC that you are self employed, you should obtain Public Liability insurance and Professional Indemnity if you intend conducting EICRs, also business use on your vehicle insurance which isn't that much more expensive than just commuting.
You would need an MFT, step ladders and perhaps a second set of hand tools.
Whether you inform your employer, is up to you.
It may be that the working time directive will require you to inform them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to What do you need in order to carry out domestic electrical work. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock