Discuss What to do with too many wires for a bathroom light fitting? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

anna1970

DIY
Reaction score
I'd like to install a new bathroom light. The new light has simple press and insert connections.

The old light (since it is connected to a bathroom fan as well) has 3 neutral cores, 3 earth cores and 2 (or maybe 3?) earth cores.

I know they won't fit into the new press and insert connection - what should I do? Would it be safe to use a junction box and keep it inside the new light? I've seen some on screw fix with can accommodate two flexes but not three.

TL;DR
Is a junction box the right thing to do with a light fitting with too many cores?

Attachments

• What to do with too many wires for a bathroom light fitting? IMG_1708 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1708.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 31
  • What to do with too many wires for a bathroom light fitting? IMG_1710 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_1710.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 32
It's a common problem. A good solution would be a wago box and wago connectors in the loft, with just one cable coming down to the light. Obviously you would need to be competent to do this.

What IP rating is that fitting.

Thanks DPG, I've had a quick look at those and they do look like a good solution - does it need a qualified electrician, or is it straight forward enough for a keen DIYer? Or is there a more basic solution? I've changed plugs and plug sockets before, but not anything more complex than that.

Reply to What to do with too many wires for a bathroom light fitting? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock