Discuss What to do with two additional red wires when using newer light fitting? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am changing a light fitting and have excess wires. I’ve matched up the three core wires for the feeds I have but have two additional red wires left (pic included).

What do I do with these? Just tape them off separately? Or should they be inserted somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any help! (I think the complexity comes from old wiring being used for a new light fitting)

What to do with two additional red wires when using newer light fitting? EC8D1CBC-F246-40D4-8B6D-9CF6405C381F - EletriciansForums.net

Means he's posted the same thing twice.

Thanks Flick. Power is off. So to join together can I just twist the ends together (of the two red wires) and the. Surround with insulating tape?
Don’t even think of that. At a minimum they need to go into another choc block beside the other 3.

Put the two reds together in a connector block and put insulation tape around everything to avoid anything accidentally falling into or touching the screws or connections

Are you certain the wires correspond to L .N. E at the lamp end?
Pretty certain yes - I matched the colours and everything seemed logical and made sense.

Thanks for everyone’s quick responses - I’ve just ordered some connector blocks from amazon so will wait until they arrive before I complete the job.

Pretty certain yes - I matched the colours and everything seemed logical and made sense.

Thanks for everyone’s quick responses - I’ve just ordered some connector blocks from amazon so will wait until they arrive before I complete the job.

You need to be certain , not pretty certain.
The wires in the pic look very difficult to identify . It could be very dangerous if you have it wrong . You cannon take chances with this .
What is the lamp wiring colours, and what colours have you connected to them , and are you certain you have the red sleeved that we can see in the line conductor at the lamp?

Reply to What to do with two additional red wires when using newer light fitting? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock