Discuss Where am I going wrong with conservatory lights? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MagnumPI

DIY
Reaction score
Just removed some tired and grotty looking spotlights which were fitted to the top beam of my conservatory. Bro in law removed them first before I could look at how they were wired in but thought nothing of it cos its simple right? ?

Have bought 4 hanging vintage style pendants to replace them with. Anyway, only two out the four work, despite me and BiL getting up and wiring them and checking them a dozen times. #1 works; #2 no; #3 works; #4 no

So where are we going wrong?

This one is the second of 4 from the wall and has two times NEL from the loop (as do #1 and #3)

Where am I going wrong with conservatory lights? IMG_2878 - EletriciansForums.net

This is #4 at the end and only has one NEL wire

Where am I going wrong with conservatory lights? IMG_2879 - EletriciansForums.net

checking them a dozen times. #1 works; #2 no; #3 works; #4 no

Welcome to the forum mate.
Are you saying that the above is the way its wired or just the way you have numbered them?
Does 2 wire back to 1, 3 wire back to 2 & 4 wire back to 3?

Can't see how 1 & 3 would work and 2 & 4 not unless the wiring order is 1, 3, 2 & 4 and there is a bad connection or cable break between fittings 3 & 2

Can't see how 1 & 3 would work and 2 & 4 not unless the wiring order is 1, 3, 2 & 4 and there is a bad connection or cable break between fittings 3 & 2

That's why I wanted the wiring confirming. Gives us more of a clue to what is happening.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Are you saying that the above is the way its wired or just the way you have numbered them?
Does 2 wire back to 1, 3 wire back to 2 & 4 wire back to 3?

As the wiring is inside the apex of the conservatory the problem is I have no idea which order and which ones are connected to others etc.

I'm first of all going to recheck ALL the terminals as so far I have been assuming that #1 and #3 which work are fine and not rechecked those.

Bit rough chopping the connector blocks off the centre to get the wires to reach and not using earth sleeving . But anyway, I assume you swapped the lamps [bulbs] round to confirm you didn't have two duds before taking everything apart again ? And also make sure the bulbs are firmly screwed in.

Bit rough chopping the connector blocks off the centre to get the wires to reach and not using earth sleeving . But anyway, I assume you swapped the lamps [bulbs] round to confirm you didn't have two duds before taking everything apart again ? And also make sure the bulbs are firmly screwed in.
Yes I chopped the terminal box up and then experimented with Wago connectors to help with assurance of termination, and also ease of connection as I'm 12+ ft in the air on a ladder and not that comfortable at height so wanted a quick secure connection and then get down.

Yes. But would appreciate a step by step as a beginner to help test and fault find.

A 2-wire voltage tester and check for 230v at fittings that don't work

Check bulbs fitted tight and working

You can then use a voltstick and check on the L-E if possible without tripping RCDs to see what's present if anything

Continuity on L-E is another one if you're trained and only in the right circumstances

So you can possibly establish 230v present , L present and even N present just by testing

But those would require a little experience and can't always be done safely , but it's what's possible to check in the right situation

To be honest, I've got very little experience in testing and electrics more broadly so given this is a job at height and with live electricity I'm beginning to think that it might be safer to call a qualified electrician in to look at it.

I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything basic I should be able to do myself.

To be honest, I've got very little experience in testing and electrics more broadly so given this is a job at height and with live electricity I'm beginning to think that it might be safer to call a qualified electrician in to look at it.

I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything basic I should be able to do myself.
If you post your location there may be someone on here who is close by you

Reply to Where am I going wrong with conservatory lights? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock