Discuss Whirlpool Bath - Notification to building control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Steve D

Whirlpool bath - Notification to building control.

I'm currently in my 3rd year of C&G 2330. I'm not 'in the trade' so to speak but I am doing various bits of work to get site practice.
So far, all my work has not needed notifying to LABC, I tend to stay away from those sort of jobs.

However, a friend of mine has asked me to wire in their new whirlpool bath. Now I assume being in a bathroom and therefore being a special location this will need to be notified to LABC, but I'm not sure of the process - can somebody out there give some friendly advice please?

Will I need to undertake the appropriate inspection & testing (I have the necessary calibrated meters etc) and then send the unsigned installation certificate to LABC for signing off?

LABC are already involved in the project as this is a large building job extending a house, so will this be a 'new notification' incurring standard additional costs as if it was a stand alone job ? (I would suspect it is).

Your help would be appreciated to ensure that I know the correct procedure to keep everything above board.

Many Thanks
Steve

Whirlpool bath - Notification to building control.

I'm currently in my 3rd year of C&G 2330. I'm not 'in the trade' so to speak but I am doing various bits of work to get site practice.
So far, all my work has not needed notifying to LABC, I tend to stay away from those sort of jobs.

However, a friend of mine has asked me to wire in their new whirlpool bath. Now I assume being in a bathroom and therefore being a special location this will need to be notified to LABC, but I'm not sure of the process - can somebody out there give some friendly advice please?

Will I need to undertake the appropriate inspection & testing (I have the necessary calibrated meters etc) and then send the unsigned installation certificate to LABC for signing off?

LABC are already involved in the project as this is a large building job extending a house, so will this be a 'new notification' incurring standard additional costs as if it was a stand alone job ? (I would suspect it is).

Your help would be appreciated to ensure that I know the correct procedure to keep everything above board.

Many Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve

Here is a link for further information regarding Part P and notification. Different LABC's have different methods so it may be worth contacting your local one. Some will ask for a copy of all your certificates others will want to Inspect the job themselves and do the Inspection & Test. Either way they will want to charge.

Building work, replacements and repairs to your home - Planning, building and the environment - Communities and Local Government

Good Luck

Warren

Thanks Warren,

I did think of calling LABC first but I thought I'd put the initial post up instead. With this being my first involvement with LABC, I just wanted a bit of background before I called them.

Are these people generally a helpful bunch? or do they look to try to trip up the 'unqualified'.

Am I right that for a notifyable piece of work it would need an 'elec installation certificate' and not a 'minor works certificate'.

Thanks
Steve

Thanks Warren,

I did think of calling LABC first but I thought I'd put the initial post up instead. With this being my first involvement with LABC, I just wanted a bit of background before I called them.

Are these people generally a helpful bunch? or do they look to try to trip up the 'unqualified'.

Am I right that for a notifyable piece of work it would need an 'elec installation certificate' and not a 'minor works certificate'.

Thanks
Steve

Steve to be honest I have never taken that route (Full Scope Memebership) but I did enquire to my local LABC for some wiring to an outdoor building and they informed me that I would need to register the job under Part P of the Building Regulations @ £60.00 and then once installed they would send out an Inspector to Inspect and Test @ £230.00 even though I am qualified to Inspect & Test.

Admittedly this was when Part P first came out and I know that different LABC's have a different approach so its best to speak your local one.

Any new circuits require an Electrical Installation Certificate.

Would this require a dedicated circuit back to the CU for this whirlpool bath, or would it be acceptable to run a fused spur from a ring/radial final circuit ?

would depend on the amount of current its likely to draw during operation and the state of the ring/radial used for the spur as its in a bathroom it would require rcd protection.

Whirlpool baths are very hungry for power. Its only a small pump.

BUT, this work will need notifying to BC, however, as a fee has already been paid for other building works then any electrical installation work that is done is THEIR responsibility and THEIR cost to ensure the work complies if the installer is not registered.

You really should read through approved doc P, in particular page 11, RH column.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

Thanks chaps.
Seemingly now the work is going to be carried out by the electrician who did the rest of the installation, but at least it was a good exercise for me to establish the procedure for such a job re notification.

Thanks chaps.
Seemingly now the work is going to be carried out by the electrician who did the rest of the installation, but at least it was a good exercise for me to establish the procedure for such a job re notification.

Steve,

If you planning to do alot of domestic work in the future, joining one of the scheme's such NAPIT, ELECSA, NICEIC or ECA maybe a better option for you for a smoother transaction for the clients.

Difference being that you can crack on with the work without notification to the LABC, certificate it and then notify your scheme of the job when your done who will then notify LABC on your behalf.

Yes there are criteria's for membership and you will be vetted to prove you know your stuff (and we all moan about the costs) but in the current climate it is probably the smoother route than ringing around differnt LABC's to notify work.

Maybe worth looking into?

Don't forget not all work is notifiable so really depends on the level of work you intend to do in the domestic area?

hope this helps!

Warren

Hi Warren

It's an option I have considered, albeit not fully explored.

As I said, I'm currently doing my 3rd year 2330 but I as I am doing an office job and not in the elec trade then I just wanted to do some bits and pieces for experience and to keep my hand in.

If I was to join something like NICEIC or NAPIT, can I assume I'll need the following:

C&G 17th Edition
C&G 2391 Inspection & Testing
Public Liability insurance

Anything else needed?

I suppose I will eventually go down this route of membership, but for the time being as I build up my experience I'm not sure if I can justify the expense.

If there are any sparks in the West Yorkshire area who need a helping hand sometimes (would need to be weekends though really due to my day job) then by all means let me know. I can send my cv if required.

[email protected]

Hi Warren

It's an option I have considered, albeit not fully explored.

As I said, I'm currently doing my 3rd year 2330 but I as I am doing an office job and not in the elec trade then I just wanted to do some bits and pieces for experience and to keep my hand in.

If I was to join something like NICEIC or NAPIT, can I assume I'll need the following:

C&G 17th Edition
C&G 2391 Inspection & Testing
Public Liability insurance

Anything else needed?

I suppose I will eventually go down this route of membership, but for the time being as I build up my experience I'm not sure if I can justify the expense.

If there are any sparks in the West Yorkshire area who need a helping hand sometimes (would need to be weekends though really due to my day job) then by all means let me know. I can send my cv if required.

[email protected]

The scheme's have different requirements but to add to your list you could expect to need things like a professional indeminty insurance if doing inspection & test, employers liability insurance, publications such as 17th Edition Regs, On-site Guide, EAWR, Part P doc for domestic, testing equipment, calibration certs etc, etc.

It really is better to contact them directly to find out more about their scheme's and which scheme would suit your business. Give them all a call in the new year and get them to send the details out. You would get a better feel for them when you speak to them.

Can be very expensive and that is why us sparks moan about the cost and get really ----'d off when people try to swindle the system without taking the propper route.

These people under cut the legit spark and don't support the customer i.e. no certificates, no warranty for the work and jobs that don't comply with the Regs or building Regs. Customers moan, expect to get what they have paid for (which they do usually, a cheap crap job) and then all sparks gets branded as cowboys and rip off mechants.

Anyways......thats another story!

Check them out and good luck!

Warren

Reply to Whirlpool Bath - Notification to building control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock