Discuss Willing to change a 2 way that would simultaneously turn the light on.. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've got a customer with 2 way switches which I want to rectify it in such a way it would simultaneously control the single light fitting. The original switch only turns ON the light if BOTH switches are ON.
The original configuration is the permanent live goes to L1 then when I switch it, it goes to common, then it goes to the common of the downstairs switch and when I switch that aswell it then goes to L1 of the downstairs switch back to the upstairs switch on L2, then the L2 got another wire to the light switch which then turns that on.

I came up with an idea with putting L2 and L2 together. L1 and L1 together. Then run a permanent live to one of the common of 1 switch. Then the other switch, put a common which then will go the light. This will make the customer switch from both ways.
Just to ensure is this safe? I have been away from electrical work for 14 years thats why I'm double checking. I am qualified btw. )
Cheers

I've got a customer with 2 way switches which I want to rectify it in such a way it would simultaneously control the single light fitting. The original switch only turns ON the light if BOTH switches are ON.
The original configuration is the permanent live goes to L1 then when I switch it, it goes to common, then it goes to the common of the downstairs switch and when I switch that aswell it then goes to L1 of the downstairs switch back to the upstairs switch on L2, then the L2 got another wire to the light switch which then turns that on.

I came up with an idea with putting L2 and L2 together. L1 and L1 together. Then run a permanent live to one of the common of 1 switch. Then the other switch, put a common which then will go the light. This will make the customer switch from both ways.
Just to ensure is this safe? I have been away from electrical work for 14 years thats why I'm double checking. I am qualified btw. )
Cheers

Sounds like whoever installed them made a bit of a basic error. Has it always been like that??

Sounds like whoever installed them made a bit of a basic error. Has it always been like that??
Yep the customer states that it has been like that for donkey years. I don't really get it why do some people wire stuff wrong even though they have some sort of qualification etc. While being at it I have also seen that the light in the kitchen has 2 switches controlling it. The lunatic "electricians" have put a permanent live to the common of the first switch then when I switch it, it goes to the L1 then to the common on the other switch, then when i switch that one it goes to the L1 then another wire from the L1 is running to the ceiling rose. However there is another black wire that servers absolutely nothing. Its just looped from L1 of one switch to L2. It seems that it was disconnected all this time. It took me around 25 minutes running around and trying to chase these wires until I found out that the black one served no purpose!

Yep the customer states that it has been like that for donkey years. I don't really get it why do some people wire stuff wrong even though they have some sort of qualification etc. While being at it I have also seen that the light in the kitchen has 2 switches controlling it. The lunatic "electricians" have put a permanent live to the common of the first switch then when I switch it, it goes to the L1 then to the common on the other switch, then when i switch that one it goes to the L1 then another wire from the L1 is running to the ceiling rose. However there is another black wire that servers absolutely nothing. Its just looped from L1 of one switch to L2. It seems that it was disconnected all this time. It took me around 25 minutes running around and trying to chase these wires until I found out that the black one served no purpose!

Can't believe someone would attempt to wire a 2 way lighting circuit up for a customer when they don't know how to do it.

If the right amount of cores goe to the right places and it is wired wrong, I would normally assume that at some point some diy has been done and the switches have been changed or removed for decoration.

If the right amount of cores goe to the right places and it is wired wrong, I would normally assume that at some point some diy has been done and the switches have been changed or removed for decoration.

Exactly my thoughts. There's no way it would have been like this from when it was installed. Someone has tampered and got stuck!

Last edited:
Yeah suppose so, however the electricians back in 1950 etc probably did not have much knowledge or they just didn't adhere to the rules. I'm currently using a neon test light to verify voltages but the question is if you don't have a neon light, how would you test for voltage as the neutral is on top of the ceiling only. Only dealing with lives so cant test with a approved tester or a multi.

Yeah suppose so, however the electricians back in 1950 etc probably did not have much knowledge or they just didn't adhere to the rules. I'm currently using a neon test light to verify voltages but the question is if you don't have a neon light, how would you test for voltage as the neutral is on top of the ceiling only. Only dealing with lives so cant test with a approved tester or a multi.

Electricians in the 1950s knew how to wire a simple 2 way lighting circuit.

I think I'd suggest getting a sparky in for this one to be honest. No shame in knowing your limits.

Yeah suppose so, however the electricians back in 1950 etc probably did not have much knowledge or they just didn't adhere to the rules. I'm currently using a neon test light to verify voltages but the question is if you don't have a neon light, how would you test for voltage as the neutral is on top of the ceiling only. Only dealing with lives so cant test with an approved tester or a multi.
That last point has been answered in your other thread

Reply to Willing to change a 2 way that would simultaneously turn the light on.. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock