Search the forum,

Discuss Wiring a ceiling rose in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

The switch will be blown thats all. The terminations at the fitting appear to be now correct. With the power off (all the power) replace the switch with a new one, check the cables for damage. If there is no damage replace fitting and re-energise. This sort of replacement is well within the scope of a householder in my opinion.

The switch will be blown thats all. The terminations at the fitting appear to be now correct. With the power off (all the power) replace the switch with a new one, check the cables for damage. If there is no damage replace fitting and re-energise. This sort of replacement is well within the scope of a householder in my opinion.

How do you do that with a IR test and continuity test?

Thanks for everyone's help, looks like I'll just have to pay for an electrician.

Is there any point trying to change the downstairs switch first? If one switch was broken wouldnt the other one work, as I've already changed one of them.

Thanks,

Duncan

Obviously not :smartass:

I disagree. He wired it wrong to begin with. The fuse or MCB blew. He then went away and read up on how to refit. Not a lot of help if everytime someone asks a question the reply is get an electrician in, understandable for someone messing around in a CU but its accepted that a householder can change pendants and switches etc..

Don't start bickering lads.. :) .. This little job is well within the scope of a bit of DIY but with the picture presented and the explanation given I have suggested on this occasion to have it checked as the cable shows signs of damage and flash marks - it may be nothing but from our point of view he would be best to have it checked, a call out fee is nothing for the safety of his house and family.

Last edited:
Agree it could be in the scope of the OP, but recommended to get an electrician in to check it's safe, up to the OP though how he wants to proceed.

Looking at the pic, exposed copper in choc block, and nice piece of insulation off one of the brown conductors mid way, he needs an Electrician asap only my opinion.?

Looking at the pic, exposed copper in choc block, and nice piece of insulation off one of the brown conductors mid way, he needs an Electrician asap only my opinion.?

I've seen fully qualified Electricians do similar poor terminations so lets hope he gets someone who has pride in the trade and his work.

and you've all missed the obvious. 2 cpc's in 1 sleeve........ hanging offence. :hanged:

Reply to Wiring a ceiling rose in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back