Discuss Wiring Advice for Garage RCD Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The guy asked if it was correct and was told "no" and was reminded of the law.

He then proceeded to complain that he was not getting a spoon fed answer from this forum. That when i added my penneth.

I dont have a problem with DIYers blowing themselves up. I dont do much domestic anyway.

But are we really here to assist absolute novices to change a CU in a garage, you cannot be serious.

We can't have it both ways can we.

One minute giving advice and suggestions then the next moaning that all the Electrical Trainee and DIYers are taking all the domestic work from us.

I'll just stick with moaning about the latter I think.

And to be fair to all the members who were a little sarcy, it is getting far too common on here to read the words, "my mate who is qualified is going to come and test it".
If (and I mean if) these people have mates who are qualified electricians willing to come out to test and notify work, then surely they would be just as happy to spend an extra 20 minutes making the connections correctly and safely.

but you're not generally liable to kill yourself getting a leaky joint in a bath tap

I agree with you totally here Tel :)

When I made my post, I was in a rush to attend an appointment with my GP & in my haste I didn't quite finish it before posting it.

Had I done so, I would have tried to qualify it with words to the effect that had an electrician bought his plumbing bits from a "shed" then asked on a plumbing forum what to do with them, would he have been happy to receive the amount of ridicule and abuse that some of us her have dished out?

As some people have said it,s not the fault of the diy stores for selling the kit,lets be honest I bet we have all been into one for something when we have been stuck late at night or on a sunday and been greatfull for the fact that they were open!The problem seems to be that they make it all sound so easy to carry out the work and that coupled with people not knowing their own limitations is where the problem lies.There has been various comparisons made with other jobs gas fitting, mechanics etc and people say that they would not touch gas or do the brakes on their own car,well that is about knowing your limitations.I have installed my own gas cooker and moved gas pipes at home,however I have the test gear and was taught gas fitting by my father,I know its safe and tested and feel confident doing it,likewise I carry out all my own car repairs,brakes and steering included,again I did a nightschool course on vehicle maintenance.TBH I have seen so much dodgy work come out of garages that I feel safer doing my own work,at least I know its right and that the wheels are not going to come off at 90mph,that said I appreciate that not everyone is like me or had my upbringing.THE KEY HERE IS FOR EVERYONE TO KNOW THEIR LIMITATIONS!excuse capitals but I wanted that bit to stand out.

As some people have said it,s not the fault of the diy stores for selling the kit,lets be honest I bet we have all been into one for something when we have been stuck late at night or on a sunday and been greatfull for the fact that they were open!The problem seems to be that they make it all sound so easy to carry out the work and that coupled with people not knowing their own limitations is where the problem lies.There has been various comparisons made with other jobs gas fitting, mechanics etc and people say that they would not touch gas or do the brakes on their own car,well that is about knowing your limitations.I have installed my own gas cooker and moved gas pipes at home,however I have the test gear and was taught gas fitting by my father,I know its safe and tested and feel confident doing it,likewise I carry out all my own car repairs,brakes and steering included,again I did a nightschool course on vehicle maintenance.TBH I have seen so much dodgy work come out of garages that I feel safer doing my own work,at least I know its right and that the wheels are not going to come off at 90mph,that said I appreciate that not everyone is like me or had my upbringing.THE KEY HERE IS FOR EVERYONE TO KNOW THEIR LIMITATIONS!excuse capitals but I wanted that bit to stand out.

I am in full agreement with you. :)

It looks to me like you & I have had a very similar upbringing.

wasn,t just me that grew up with tools then,got my first drill at 9 black and decker with a 3/8ths chuck,wanted a 1/2 inch really lol

Aye well, I was soldering bits of wire & metal at 8 years old - with a soldering iron heated of Mum's gas stove & got a metal turning lathe at 11years old & built my first working steam engine when I was 13.

I really enjoyed Model Engineering, but it went sour after I started my apprenticeship as a Precision Engineer at 15. There wasn't any fun in working lathes etc. all day & then doing the same at home after work, so I packed it in & joined a Rock 'n' Roll band working in the clubs & did some casual work on the fairgrounds (Dodgems & Waltzer)

Now I'm retired, I've been looking on e-bay for a decent lathe as I'm thinking about getting back into Model Engineering. I've got two steam locos that I started to build all those years ago & I'm thinking it would be nice to finish them.

Hi all,

I am looking to replace a very old and rusty RCD unit with a modern day unit. The old unit is different to the new one and I would like to be 100% sure i have the wiring correct. The situation i need explained is this:

1. I have the mains coming into the unit
2. I have a 2 way socket which needs to connected.

I have attached a picture of the unit with some crude lines on it. To clarify the picture what i have is the following.

1. The mains live (red line at the bottom) connects to the bottom next the the Neutral
2. The mains neutral and earth go up the the bars at the top
3. The 4 way copper bar bridges the neutrals across the top. (Blue)
4. The 2 way socket mains live (red line coming in from the right) connects to the 32A unit
5. The 2 way socket neutral and earth connect to their respective bars at the top.

Can someone tell me if this is correct? As i said all i am doing is replacing the old unit as it was way past it's useable life.

Thanks,

Frank

No it's incorrect.
The four way copper bar bridges the lives across the bottom. Will leave you with one spare way for another MCB if required in the future.
The live for the socket-outlet should be connected at the top.
As some have pointed out, the 32A MCB is not correct if the socket-outlet is fed using 2.5mm² cable, should be 16A or at most 20A.
Oh by the way, as it's a replacement, there is no requirement for notification.

No it's incorrect.
The four way copper bar bridges the lives across the bottom. Will leave you with one spare way for another MCB if required in the future.
The live for the socket-outlet should be connected at the top.
As some have pointed out, the 32A MCB is not correct if the socket-outlet is fed using 2.5mm² cable, should be 16A or at most 20A.
Oh by the way, as it's a replacement, there is no requirement for notification.

I disagree spin. ALL consumer unit replacements are notifiable, regardless of whether it is like-for-like.

Yes the Part P document does indicate that CU replacements are notifiable.
However in my area, it is only those CUs that are fed from the mains that the LABC consider as being notifiable.
Other CUs such as those used for bath/shower rooms, garages, sheds, etc. are not considered as being notifiable.
The reason given, being that a CU fed from the mains, cannot be de-energised wiout removal of the main fuse, whereas CUs fed from a way in another CU can.

Now I'm retired, I've been looking on e-bay for a decent lathe as I'm thinking about getting back into Model Engineering. I've got two steam locos that I started to build all those years ago & I'm thinking it would be nice to finish them.

Great hobby. Best advice is to find a good local club. Loads of help and advice and somewhere to run the loco when it's finished.

By the way, I'm webmaster here:
GMES - Guildford Model Engineering Society

Totaly agree some of the comments where more than alittle sharp and out of order.

The main problem with the original pic was the busbar connection as it was drawn connected over the L & N of the RCD (although it was drawn in blue OP did state it was the busbar and not neutral cables).

Regarding the big orange shed etc, i still (and always will) have issue's with them being allowed to sell equipment to the DIYer encourageing them to play around with the most dangerous thing we use every day. I also have issue's with them selling plumbing gear in truth (and yes i have bought from there on a sunday when wholesalers are shut making me a hypocrit)..........Try and buy a gas fitting in there though and your stuffed as they dont sell them (last time i checked) due to safety issue's...go figure.

Comments out of order?? I don't think so. There was some p taking but the person apologised with a reasonable explanation.

Yes the Part P document does indicate that CU replacements are notifiable.
However in my area, it is only those CUs that are fed from the mains that the LABC consider as being notifiable.
Other CUs such as those used for bath/shower rooms, garages, sheds, etc. are not considered as being notifiable.
The reason given, being that a CU fed from the mains, cannot be de-energised wiout removal of the main fuse, whereas CUs fed from a way in another CU can.

That's fair enough mate, if that's how it works in your area. Just didn't want our DIY brigade thinking they could just change consumer units willy nilly without realising they are notifiable items.

Strima - thanks for the advice.
plugsandsparks: Its ok, don't start. Hold that thought and just keep it too yourself. But keep up the good work and rest assured whatever you post next wont be read as by the time u read this i have signed out and taken the couple of good bits of advice with me and already forgotten everything else.
Oh and I already posted what the definition of a forum is, thats what i was expecting but clearly thats 2 things i have wrong tonight. At least now i am more knowledgeable.
knowledgable about what?safe isolation?...Ze?...Zs?...RCD times?...In?....Iz?...Ib?....discrimination?.....if you want to get into sparkyin then go to college.....its your own property so you can do as you like for me......but if it goes wrong dont come crying in here...thats if your still alive that is....

Reply to Wiring Advice for Garage RCD Needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net