Discuss Wiring emergency lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys, how would you wire three gang two way switch for emergency lights so you have 3 feeds coming to the switch aswell as 3, 3 core and earth going to the light aswell as 3, 3 core and earth being strappers to the others 3 gang two way switch new to electrics so help would be appreciated cheers

Lets get this straight... you have 3 rows of lights(?) all 2 wayed from 2 positions. 3 switches at each door or whatever.
You are adding an emergency light?
You need an unswitched live in addition to any switchwire or neutrals to the emergency fitting. Looping through other fittings if nessecery.
You may want to switch this live through a keyswitch... which would mean one of your 3 gangs need to be 4 gang

You could draw out a circuit that you think it needs, and we will see if you’re on the right track

The way it was wired there was 9 cables at the switch 6, 3 core and earths and 3 feeds would it be the 3 brown feeds to the com neutrals in wago and earths in wago plastic fitting. Use the 3 greys going to the light as switch lines and put the blacks in wagos as neutrals. And for the strappers 3 core and earths put the brown in the com. and black in wago and grey in wago. The electrician who wired never told me how he wired it just asking would you know what he did

Don’t use black as N . Sleeve the grey with blue

Use black sleeved brown as a swi line

Although some will disagree and use black sleeved brown as perm live and brown as swi line

Providing all cores are correctly identified it is irrelevant whether you use black or grey as neutral. There is no set rule to this.

So if I use brown as permanent black as switched live and grey as neutral is that the correct way to wire the three gang two ways switch

That’s how I do it , with black / grey as strippers

What do you do with black and grey for strappers

Brown sleeving in both to distinguish them as live conductors (switch wires)

You’re not really changing what the previous spark did, so how he wired it is irrelevant.
You are adding one core, supplying an emergency fitting with a permanent live which isn’t there at the moment.

No it wasn't, there has never been a 'de neutralising'

I had a thing from the niceic around the time of harmonisation it was a big A4 leaflet about de neutralise black when converting old colours to new. Think several cable manufacturers also produced their own leaflets of de neutral black as well...

It’s even in the brown on site guide I think

Will try to dig it out later

I had a thing from the niceic around the time of harmonisation.

It’s was a big A4 leaflet about de neutralise black when converting old colours to new.

All I have ever seen is advice about old colours and how they correspond to new colours, but not how to oversleeve harmonised colours for different uses.

All I have ever seen is advice about old colours and how they correspond to new colours, but not how to oversleeve harmonised colours for different uses.

The official guidance from the iee and niceic at the time was to not use black as neutral post harmonisation.
It was to use grey sleeved blue.
Black sleeved g/y

The official guidance from the iee and niceic at the time was to not use black as neutral post harmonisation.
Black sleeved g/y
Like I say, I have never seen that guidance written anywhere, heard it plenty of times though and it is the convention I tend to use.

I had a thing from the niceic around the time of harmonisation it was a big A4 leaflet about de neutralise black when converting old colours to new. Think several cable manufacturers also produced their own leaflets of de neutral black as well...

The niceic made up that nonsense but as far as I know it never featured in the regulations.
[automerge]1569226857[/automerge]
Black sleeved g/y

Do you have any evidence of the iee supporting this?

The convention was to use red for live, yellow for another live or earth and blue for neutral. Red became brown, yellow became black and blue became grey, so to continue the same convention Black is used for live or earth and grey for neutral.
This can keep joints between the two neater/easier as the cores should naturally line up if you have the cable the right way round.

The niceic made up that nonsense but as far as I know it never featured in the regulations.
[automerge]1569226857[/automerge]

Do you have any evidence of the iee supporting this?

The convention was to use red for live, yellow for another live or earth and blue for neutral. Red became brown, yellow became black and blue became grey, so to continue the same convention Black is used for live or earth and grey for neutral.
This can keep joints between the two neater/easier as the cores should naturally line up if you have the cable the right way round.

Yes black becomes a live or earth

The grey became the neutral

If adding new cable to an old installation

That was the official recommendation iirc
[automerge]1569227593[/automerge]
Will try to dig out my old brown on site guide later and take a picture

Reply to Wiring emergency lights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock