Discuss Workshop / garage wiring in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

martinctbrown

Looking for some advice looking to run cable to a new build garage/workshop i am Part P qualified and just completing my NVQ but this is the first external building i have done. I am replacing the comsumer unit as there are no spare slots unsure of cable to use there is already a electrical conduit run from the house to the garage which is 25mtrs away. Any advice welcome

i would personally use some nice thick cable (16mm2 tw+e) in the conduit. make sure the circuit is RCD protected, install a 2 or 4 way distribution board in the outbuilding for the provision of any sockets/lighting etc.

i'm not sure if PVC conduit will offer enough protection to comply with current regs, perhaps someone else on here could offer more insight

I would use swa cable you will have to check in the regs for cable size but i think 4mm t and e will be ok ....ian.....:)

SORRY WOT I MENT TO SAY IS 4MM 3 CORE SWA....IAN....:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for some advice looking to run cable to a new build garage/workshop i am Part P qualified and just completing my NVQ but this is the first external building i have done. I am replacing the comsumer unit as there are no spare slots unsure of cable to use there is already a electrical conduit run from the house to the garage which is 25mtrs away. Any advice welcome

No such qualification, it's a building reg is PART P

i would personally use some nice thick cable (16mm2 tw+e) in the conduit. make sure the circuit is RCD protected, install a 2 or 4 way distribution board in the outbuilding for the provision of any sockets/lighting etc.

i'm not sure if PVC conduit will offer enough protection to comply with current regs, perhaps someone else on here could offer more insight

personly i would'nt rcd the supply at the mains position as you would have to go back to the house every time it trips

remenber if tn-c-s supply t.t the garage and bond any water ect

rcd in garage consumer unit and if flush (not probable)rcd these too.
not checked but assuming a load of 32A i wound say 10.0mm over this distance

i see what you are saying about the convenience regarding having to walk back to the house, but the RCD should only trip if something is wrong. also, due to the location of the cable being run through the garden i would recommend being protected by an RCD

if a strimmer/mower or any gardening tool etc were to damage the cable, i would think the same principle as socket outlets would apply, you are providing supply to a circuit outside the equipotential zone.

i would agree with using at least 10mm, depending on what size the main breaker will be in your consumer unit (the size of the cable should be able to carry at least the same current as the rating of the breaker)

[/quote

I think pvc conduit is o.k., but it would have to be bloody big to get your 16mm2 t&e cable in !!!!, why not use swa cable ?, hope that helps:D:D:D

i dont think you'd have much trouble pulling 16mm tw+e through a straight run of 20mm conduit so yes you'd be shafted if the installer has made some nice bends and sets. but i'd have to agree with using SWA, it would be better :)

food for thought, the shed is 25m away from the house, so you could say the cable run is going to be about 40m at least??

if this is the case your requirement would be for a 16mm cable to carry enough current for a 63A RCD/Breaker in your supplementary consumer unit in the shed. that's including the workings for voltage drop at <5%

this size cable will require a 25mm gland, be sure your consumer unit can accomodate, also remember to put the banjo in and connect the earth to the busbar (unless your consumer unit is mettallic)

i see what you are saying about the convenience regarding having to walk back to the house, but the RCD should only trip if something is wrong. also, due to the location of the cable being run through the garden i would recommend being protected by an RCD

if a strimmer/mower or any gardening tool etc were to damage the cable, i would think the same principle as socket outlets would apply, you are providing supply to a circuit outside the equipotential zone.

i would agree with using at least 10mm, depending on what size the main breaker will be in your consumer unit (the size of the cable should be able to carry at least the same current as the rating of the breaker)
i'm assuming swa will be used for submain so strimmer ect not a prob
and as the garage will be t,t equipetual zone ok

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Workshop / garage wiring in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock