Discuss Worst tested cable I ever found doing a EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sam cook

Last year at night I was carrying out Electrical Inspection and Testing and Found the 300mm 4 core SWA sub main cable to a chapel was recording 0.09 ohms on carrying out high insulation resistance testing between phases. 25 thousand pounds later its rectified.

Would love to hear other people's great finds on carrying out Inspection and testing.

Last year at night I was carrying out Electrical Inspection and Testing and Found the 300mm 4 core SWA sub main cable to a chapel was recording 0.09 ohms on carrying out high insulation resistance testing between phases. 25 thousand pounds later its rectified.

Would love to hear other people's great finds on carrying out Inspection and testing.
Hi Sam, what do you mean by "high insulation resistance testing"

Must have blown out the protective device with a resistance of 0.09 ohms between line conductors.

it's a chapel. they put their trust in God, not fuses.

Hi Pete carrying out a megger test, my ipad correction is a nightmare,
Oh you mean an Insulation Resistance test with a Megger instrument, still not sure what you mean by High Insulation Resistance test though, sorry if I 'm coming across as a thickie

That's okay Pete yeah insulation resistance Test, I had a day of accessor correcting me telling me I could call it insulation resistance testing, he kept telling me it's high ohm resistance testing bloody bloke. The fuses were all intact and not blown, a theory I still can't understand. RPA07 I was going through my pictures of works and thought I would share if anyone else has had similar experiences. The feeder pillar was isolated and generator was delivered to site next morning.

I think you probably mean 0.09 Meg ohm.

Unable to inspect damage by eye but over a period of time we carried out testing at different intervals and we found damp issues. Test results were a lot better when the ground was dry. The existing cable is still underground, it passes below a listed building and war memorial garden. Nightmare! Small cost for the school. The new cable is temporary until a new building is to be built over the top of it this year. The site has 4 electricians permantley sited on site.

Boy that sounds like a job and half! Best IR test I did on EICR was frying the landlords tablet, I need to qualify that. I was testing the ring and told the landlord who was hovering throughout, that I have unplugged everything the mains is off (safe isolation etc.) and that I was about to inject 500v down the cable. Should have been enough of a clue? No, the landlord quietly plugged his tablet in as it needed charging, (He knew the mains was off and big volts coming down the line) I tested, strange result checked to see if I had missed something saw the Landlord attempting to charge/use his tablet. It did get fried. Worst thing (for him) was that it was his wifes. Anyhow he saw that it was stupid on his part and did not make a big thing of it, had a bit of laugh actually, until he got home! Just goes to show you can never be too careful!

i agree Vortigern I must admit I've been part of that stupidity when I was an apprentice. I got told to make tea for the 4 sparks I was serving, they told me to go and make tea in the other end of the school because they were doing dead testing where we were based. I was too lazy to do that, plugged into a ring main circuit in a classroom out of sight they were testing and kettle went on/off several times until it went off. The sparks were so ----ed off because it was morning tea they each gave me a dead arm and I had to walk to Tesco and buy another kettle. Bloody good sparks though!

It's taken me a good while to realise that you can't put the kettle on for a cuppa when you've pulled the main fuse and you're changing the board. I've done it so many times now that I started questioning whether I should be an electrician although being an electrician means drinking lots of tea so it's one of them things, you know, not an oxymoron but a . . . . . Cup of tea anyone?

i agree Vortigern I must admit I've been part of that stupidity when I was an apprentice. I got told to make tea for the 4 sparks I was serving, they told me to go and make tea in the other end of the school because they were doing dead testing where we were based. I was too lazy to do that, plugged into a ring main circuit in a classroom out of sight they were testing and kettle went on/off several times until it went off. The sparks were so ****ed off because it was morning tea they each gave me a dead arm and I had to walk to Tesco and buy another kettle. Bloody good sparks though!

Pretty radical dead testing,to blow a kettle...were they using a defibrillator?

No they were probably using a wind up megger lol. This kettle was a camping kettle with about 3 inches of flex which had been cut several times for temporary leads.

IR tests with kettles or tablet chargers plugged in is never going to cause them harm, no different to a PAT.

Boy that sounds like a job and half! Best IR test I did on EICR was frying the landlords tablet, I need to qualify that. I was testing the ring and told the landlord who was hovering throughout, that I have unplugged everything the mains is off (safe isolation etc.) and that I was about to inject 500v down the cable. Should have been enough of a clue? No, the landlord quietly plugged his tablet in as it needed charging, (He knew the mains was off and big volts coming down the line) I tested, strange result checked to see if I had missed something saw the Landlord attempting to charge/use his tablet. It did get fried. Worst thing (for him) was that it was his wifes. Anyhow he saw that it was stupid on his part and did not make a big thing of it, had a bit of laugh actually, until he got home! Just goes to show you can never be too careful!

It would only fry the tablet if you tested L-N.
Only ever carry out a L-N test on an initial verification of new work where you are in control of connected loads. On an EICR L/N-Earth is the way to go, wont fry anything.

L/N-Earth
Yep always got told that by the 2391 supervisor, never quite got my head around that. So you will never know IR on L to N that way, always feel its a bit slapdash. Prepared to be corrected though! I can see it where there are fifty flours and I want to do some IR testing at least, things like that.

Reply to Worst tested cable I ever found doing a EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock