Discuss (Wrong category I know) Need advice on plumbing my own house? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Firstly I know I’ve posted this in the wrong category, I couldn’t find the right one for some reason. I’m a industrial/domestic electrician, I’m doing a rear extension and loft conversion on my bungalow myself. I’m of course doing the electrics myself and I’m looking at plumbing the CH and DHW/cold myself, either in plastic or copper and getting a plumber in to fit the boiler and pipe the gas.

I’ve looked into pipe sizing etc I’m just looking for anyone who has advice on the best routing for the flow/return, insulating in chased walls and comparability of mixers for showers.
Basically any advice at all would be helpful, thanks

You may be better asking on plumbers forums.net

Part of the same group as electricians forums.net it focuses on plumbing and has plumbers on who may be able to give you a better answer

They might say get a plumber in.....only joking :)

If I was doing what your doing @Tyrone Thompson, I would all joking aside, get the specific trades in. You might save a few pounds, doing it yourself, but it will take a lot longer. Some of the stuff you can do yourself, stud work, plasterboarding, etc but I'd leave the plumbing etc to the tradeperson. Just my opinion.

They might say get a plumber in.....only joking :)

If I was doing what your doing @Tyrone Thompson, I would all joking aside, get the specific trades in. You might save a few pounds, doing it yourself, but it will take a lot longer. Some of the stuff you can do yourself, stud work, plasterboarding, etc but I'd leave the plumbing etc to the tradeperson. Just my opinion.
if OP is happy with radiators fixed over his sockets, joists butchered for plastic pipes, solder dripped over carpets, water leaks everywhere, then by all means employ a plumber. :(:(:(

I’ve changed my radiators, even added to the system, but in my experience you need a heating engineer to size each rad for the rooms and to size the boiler.
And of course, a gas safe registered engineer to do the gas connection.

the best way of plumbing is plastic piping from the boiler 22 to 15 or 10mm me I prefer copper piping ,but ever bodys different, are you putting in a comb heating .
Yes a combi, will be 3 bed house, with 2 showers but will not be used at same time, may make one shower electric to ease the demand, would make it more suitable for a family. Would you pipe sleeve in solid walls?

If you do use plastic pressure test the pipework for integrity before you lose access to the joints in the fabric of the building.

You’ll want a 22mm supply and the same for return to the boiler. Then use 15mm going to and from radiators accordingly. You can easily join copper to plastic for the tails, it’s easy with push fit connections.

When I chased my pipes into the wall, I didn’t use insulation as space was tight and didn’t want to chop too much out to comply with building regs. You may have more room to play with though.

Hi,i would not bury any plastic push or speed-fit fittings,just a personal thing...i know lots of plumbers will disagree,and i couldn't care less.

I have lengthy experience,in the hydraulics industry,and the best life span estimate,i have ever had from a fittings manufacturer,is less years than i've owned my present house.

Truth is,"O" rings,have a finite life,and these fittings function solely,on their integrity.

On a positive note,they certainly store up a healthy bank of work,for plumbers,plasterers and decorators ;)

Hi,i would not bury any plastic push or speed-fit fittings,just a personal thing...i know lots of plumbers will disagree,and i couldn't care less.

I have lengthy experience,in the hydraulics industry,and the best life span estimate,i have ever had from a fittings manufacturer,is less years than i've owned my present house.

Truth is,"O" rings,have a finite life,and these fittings function solely,on their integrity.

On a positive note,they certainly store up a healthy bank of work,for plumbers,plasterers and decorators ;)
I agree , I don't trust them hidden either.

Reply to (Wrong category I know) Need advice on plumbing my own house? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock