Discuss 13 Amp Plugs Without Fuses in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

Hi Guys

What determines whether a moulded 13 Amp plug requires to be fused?

I have in my hand a cable for a 72 watt transformer. one end of the lead has a physically very small moulded unfused 13 plug which is stamped 10A 250VAC. The other end is terminated with a standard moulded female (2.5 Amp) figure of eight plug for plugging into the transformer. The cable is flat twin 0.5 or 0.75 sqmm.

Surely this should be fused (especially as it could be used on other equipment)?

Pete

Can you post a picture maybe? You say the plug is same form factor as the 13A but smaller?

It would be a BS546 plug rather than a BS1363 plug. I think that all BS1363 plugs have to have a fuse, as that is part of the standard. However I have not read the standard so I could be wrong.

The plug is a fake I had one on a clover leaf conector so bright idea cut it off and fit a standard plug top. Well the cable inside was a few strands of copper coloured steel so I replaced the lot. steel cable and no fuse a fire waiting to start.

That plug does not meet the British standard and is not legal to be sold in this country.
Please do send as much info about this and where it came from to trading standards, these things need to be stopped.

Yeah, I'm not an expert on UK plugs but I've never seen one like that, it doesn't conform to the standards. Where did you buy it from?

Thanks guys for your replies. I've just phoned the supplier who I would judge to be reputable. It's on a plug n play LED strip kit which was apparently withdrawn a couple of months ago for the above reason and the warehouse c..ked up sending me (and someone else) the wrong one. I'm minded to accept that the matter is under control.
Cheers

IS this from China? Ive heard of Chinese BS1363 plugs not having fuses. Which I guess would work in places like Ireland where radials are norm, but Id think a ring main would not make for a pretty picture should that flex have a short.

IS this from China? Ive heard of Chinese BS1363 plugs not having fuses. Which I guess would work in places like Ireland where radials are norm, but Id think a ring main would not make for a pretty picture should that flex have a short.
Everything's made in China, isn't it? This item is made for many countries, with different badges on and plugs to suit. There is no BS mark on this plug. 32Amps sc, I agree. My experience with Ireland is that they apply our British Standards, so a nono there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick ebay search :---
look at earth pin no earth pin can be sleeved - source bs1363
Figure 8 AC Mains UK Canon MG3550 Power Cord Cable Lead for Pixma Series Printer | eBay

New FIGURE 8 C7 UK 3 PIN MAINS CABLE POWER ADAPTER FOR APPLE TV ? ALL VERSIONS | eBay

1.8M Figure 8 13A Plug Mains Power IEC C7,IEC C13 F & M,IEC C14 Cable Lead | eBay

That took 5 mins and is from a photo the sheathed earth pin will not contact on some socket outlets. Then is the fuse connected? Is the wiring the correct size and type? insulation up to standard?

Was not aware of the "red plug system in hospitals" thanks Dave
1363 does not list this as an excluded appliance so it must come under "ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE WORKPLACE Electrical equipment that is intended for use in the workplace is not controlled by theRegulations. Most of such equipment must however satisfy the safety requirementsof the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 and must provide a safeconnection to the mains electrical supply"

Everything's made in China, isn't it? This item is made for many countries, with different badges on and plugs to suit. There is no BS mark on this plug. 32Amps sc, I agree. My experience with Ireland is that they apply our British Standards, so a nono there too.

But in theory, with a 20amp radial supply, one can ditch the fuse?

No IMHO. Cable is not rated for 20 Amps, nor is the female plug at the other end. The plug (if it complied with BS1363) is rated at 13 Amp and would contain a 13 Amp MAX fuse.

Correct, however continental Europe often has 1.0mm2 flex connected directly to a radial schuko plug.

Reply to 13 Amp Plugs Without Fuses in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net