Discuss 2 questions - Existing ring main mapping, and rules on spurs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

DB73

-
Reaction score
Hi

Just getting started with a view to DIY electrics on my house extension in a few months time, and ideally would like to map out the current circuits so I can plan the best way to join up, or where new circuits may be required etc.

2 Questions

I reckon I can do some DIY non-live testing of each ring main circuit, firstly establish which outlets are included on each ring main, then all that area of work (R1 + R2) / 4 etc etc to detect any faults on the ring or at the outlet; but can anyone point me in the direction of a method for working out what order the outlets sit on the ring? Or do you never really know until the floorboards are up? It occurs to me that you can do a long sequence of trial and error by disconnecting the outlets 2 at a time, then anything not working must sit between these two (or if everything else still works they must be adjacent), and slowly build a picture. Please, is there a method easier and quicker, perhaps with a multi-meter?

I read online that you can only have one spur per ring main, but I also read that if you only have two sets of wires at a socket, you can spur at this point without checking everywhere else - which infers one spur at any given point on a ring main (eg: 4 x 2 gang sockets in a ring, you could spur from each to provide 8 x 2 gang sockets in total - in practise I would try to put more outlets into the ring, and fewer on spur, unless all this spurring saves £££ in cable - but this is just an illustrative example). I take it as a given that you should not spur from a spur (although I don't yet see why this has to be limited by a hard rule, rather than Ohm's law application, but this is probably want of knowledge on my part). I guess it is also common sense to perform separate load calculations at any point on the circuitry where supply is only from one direction rather than the two directions allowed by the ring. Please, which is correct: one spur per outlet, or one spur per ring main?

Sincere thanks for sharing your knowledge on this thread and forum. Please, don't be fooled by any occasional bits of knowledge - it's only that I read a book last night. I am just starting out.

Not sure you’ll get too many replies on guiding you through this work? Step by step guides are not allowed on this forum, seems you after information on testing procedures, which are specified in the Wiring Regulations.

You’ll also need to consider how you building control what documentation will require from you, unless you have already discussed this with them. You could ask a moderator to transfer this thread to the DIY section.

Not sure you’ll get too many replies on guiding you through this work? Step by step guides are not allowed on this forum, seems you after information on testing procedures, which are specified in the Wiring Regulations.

You’ll also need to consider how you building control what documentation will require from you, unless you have already discussed this with them. You could ask a moderator to transfer this thread to the DIY section.

Ah - I see - sorry, am just starting out with website also - I will give a more careful consideration to correct forum. Thanks for tip on building control, am aware and have planned accordingly.
Thanks for reply

Checking which sockets are on a circuit is not that hard.
First count up all the sockets.
Switch off a circuit at the MCB/RCBO or remove a fuse, then go round all the sockets making a note of the ones that don’t work.
Switch back on the MCB/RCBO or replace the fuse then check all the noted sockets (if any) are now working.

Repeat until all circuits have been checked and all sockets accounted for.

A little k pledge can be dangerous, don't believe everything you red on the internet it sounds suspect where did you read if you have 2 cables at 1 socket you can spur without checking anywhere else I've never heard of that

If you’re capable of doing R1 + R2 then mapping shouldn’t be that hard tbh
Hi Chris - I am sure that is a fair comment, but I happen to have a bit of confidence about R1 + R2 because I stumbled on it last night on line and really got into it - and it seems you can do it with the power OFF - which is great for novice DIYer confidence!

I am doing 20 days city and guilds training in May - and whilst I am under no illusion that this makes me any more than an enhanced DIYer, it will at least help me to understand

Thanks for the comments guys - I have moved to the DIYers forum.

I knew about R1 + R2 because I stumbled across it last night and spent an hour or so on it and it didn't seem to hard. But of course there is ever so much you might consider simpler that I dont know - I am undertaking 20 days city and guilds shortly, which I know doesn't make me a sparks (I would say it could make me an enhanced DIYer) but will help me understand a bit about the body of knowledge and how it might be accessed.

Thread closed.

Reply to 2 questions - Existing ring main mapping, and rules on spurs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net