Discuss 2391 V NICEIC - Whats the point in 2391?? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Very true Middy this exact thought crossed my mind. Like todays schoolkids will say the same about schools in thirty years time, you never ad it so good, in my day.............

Thing is the 2400 incorporated a design aspect of the qualification as well as verification where’s the 2391 was purely the fundamental aspects of inspection and testing supplemented with a practical and a written exam.

I've done the new 2391 and for me the exam was not too bad. While it's open book, I didn't need that after I'd absorbed a few thousand posts here :) . Certainly the pass rate is higher now than I hear it used to be. I think the timed practical is the same as before (?).

Good evening ladies & Gentleman.
Yes I know I’ve been gone for what can only be described as one hell of a long tea break!
But could someone please tell me why if you’re a fully qualified electrician you would wish to object to achieving further qualifications that are recognised as an industry standard to demonstrate core competencies?
Surly for those who claim to be “good sparkies” this is merely a matter of passing the course needed and getting on with life?

Retreats back into the canteen to adorn tin hat .

Yes I know I’ve been gone for what can only be described as one hell of a long tea break!
But could someone please tell me why if you’re a fully qualified electrician you would wish to object to achieving further qualifications that are recognised as an industry standard to demonstrate core competencies?
Surly for those who claim to be “good sparkies” this is merely a matter of passing the course needed and getting on with life?

Depends what you mean by "fully qualified" there is real fully qualified and then there is "I think I'fully qualified therfore I am" if you get my drift? qualified on paper and qualified in my mind, the later types may think I had better not apply in case I make a fool of myself,

For me it’s simple, the cost doesn’t outweigh the benefits.

Perhaps I should clarify my opinion of fully qualified? Someone who holds 236-1/2 (yes I’m old enough to date your nan lol) hold the 17th edition update (everyone has this right ?) as well as being time served with enough experience to hold a JIB Approved Electrician card as a minimum.
While those who don’t have the above are likely to get all out of shape (tea/cake stop imminent).
Let me ask you this? If you were paying for an electrician to work on you house wouldn’t you want them to be able to demonstrate their competence to do so with recognised qualifications, competence & experience (they don’t give away JIB Approved Electrician status do they?) together with accountability should anything happen?

Do I agree with the scams? Absolutely not! At. 54 I don’t profess to know it all... far from it, but as an Approved Electrician with both 236-1/2, 2400, 2391, 2382, 2377.
I fail to see why I’m forced to subscribe to play their game so as to be seen able & above board to trade as an “Approved Comtractor”

Why do I? Because I’m able to charge a premium as well as choosing the jobs I prefer...to a large degree.

As anyone can be a busy fool! So why not make your time as profitable as possible.

Perhaps I should clarify my opinion of fully qualified? Someone who holds 236-1/2 (yes I’m old enough to date your nan lol) hold the 17th edition update (everyone has this right ?) as well as being time served with enough experience to hold a JIB Approved Electrician card as a minimum.
While those who don’t have the above are likely to get all out of shape (tea/cake stop imminent).
Let me ask you this? If you were paying for an electrician to work on you house wouldn’t you want them to be able to demonstrate their competence to do so with recognised qualifications, competence & experience (they don’t give away JIB Approved Electrician status do they?) together with accountability should anything happen?

Do I agree with the scams? Absolutely not! At. 54 I don’t profess to know it all... far from it, but as an Approved Electrician with both 236-1/2, 2400, 2391, 2382, 2377.
I fail to see why I’m forced to subscribe to play their game so as to be seen able & above board to trade as an “Approved Comtractor”

Why do I? Because I’m able to charge a premium as well as choosing the jobs I prefer...to a large degree.

As anyone can be a busy fool! So why not make your time as profitable as possible.
You do realise Amptramp, that the Many of those guys doing Domestics are not Electricians, but DIs Domestic Installers, and don't hold the qualifications you are proffesing to be the bare minimum in your post, not their fault I hasten to add it's just the way it is these days.

You do realise Amptramp, that the Many of those guys doing Domestics are not Electricians, but DIs Domestic Installers, and don't hold the qualifications you are proffesing to be the bare minimum in your post, not their fault I hasten to add it's just the way it is these days.
Yet the scams give them the title "competant"

I seem to recall I got my JIB Approved Electrician status from Electrician, by passing a multiple choice exam in the late 1970's.

I also got my JIB Approved Electricians card, after a 30 year break, by passing a multiple choice H&S exam. So like most things nowadays, you can get things by paying.

I seem to recall I got my JIB Approved Electrician status from Electrician, by passing a multiple choice exam in the late 1970's.

I also got my JIB Approved Electricians card, after a 30 year break, by passing a multiple choice H&S exam. So like most things nowadays, you can get things by paying.
I got my AP status by being over 27, having the right quals and 2 years experience, post Apprenticeship.

Please don't get me started Mate, there are a couple of guys on this forum who delight in having a go at my comments, on this subject.
I will look forward to seeing if they stick their head up, be intresting to see the views they have of the CPSs

I did say from Electrician Pete, so all those other things had to be in place. Least I had to take the exam as well. Answers were always 'C'. :)

Perhaps I
a

Are you JIB gold card status qualified Amptramp?

I will look forward to seeing if they stick their head up, be intresting to see the views they have of the CPSs

My view is they are bloody expensive, and you get little back for your money. Tech support is good though, and so is the on-line certification, until Certsure did a upgrade last week!

Do my customers know about the 'schemes'? One or two might, but most customers seem to pick trades by word of mouth recommendation. At least with a gaggle of them, some are jockying for position with their fees

I did say from Electrician Pete, so all those other things had to be in place. Least I had to take the exam as well. Answers were always 'C'. :)
Oh I had the right quals already City and Guilds "A" "B" "C" and Full Tech Certificate, as it was in those days, so I answered all the questions correctly as well. I to was Graded as an Electrician, the 2 years post Apprenticeship were as an Electician, after 2 years Approved, got the Grade "Technician Electrician" when I was the right age and with more experience. The Grades wern't bought by doing courses, they were earned by doing an approved Apprenticeship, took me 6 years to complete my Apprenticeship, 6 months probation, 6 months as an Improver, and 5 years as an Apprentice, I'll get into hot water if I go full on, so to please the few I'll shut up now OK.

Last edited:
I got a collection of C&G certificates, not the Technician one mind; went onto to pastures new before that. Just checking them out now. Didn't remember I got a cse in French, mon dieu :)

Are you JIB gold card status qualified Amptramp?
I wouldn’t take being a JIB gold card holder as being a decent sparks either. It’s all about performing on the job. Qualifications are easily obtained compared to experience. I only recently did my NVQ as needed a gold card for a job I was doing, yet have been working as a spark for 20 years, the card or any CPS doesn’t all of a sudden make you a better spark over night.

Reply to 2391 V NICEIC - Whats the point in 2391?? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock