Discuss 2391 V NICEIC - Whats the point in 2391?? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As i am not part of any scheme i have been told if i issue a certificate i then have to pay Building control a massive about to come out and sign it off. (dont know how true this is)

Certification required by BS7671 and notification are different and quite separate things. Yes if not in a scheme then you need to contact building control and pay a fee. Not all work is notifiable though.

I 100% agree mate, Personally i think you should need your 2391 in order to be part of these schemes. Shocking how people with less qualifications and experience can Sign off notifiable work, They don't:mad: even need to be fully qualified again the "competence" work comes into effect

This is only in line with legal requirements with having to be competent to be able to test and inspect electrical work. You'll probably find that the schemes will require testing quals if you want them to vouch for your periodic inspection work, or for full scope membership.

in lieu of the 2391 the niceic/elecsa offer there own online knowledge assessment that supposedly covers the same sort of questions you get in the 2391 exams. if you apply to join without the 2391 they get you to do this to cover the level 3 requirements,its open book with your books at home on the laptop. a mate did it when they first started offering it, he joined elecsa but its offered to both schemes. from what I know its not too difficult. thing is city and guilds have a sort of monopoly and there is nothing illegal in nic offering there own courses via another company if the content is deemed to be equivalent in knowledge and skill requirements. free market rules and all that. thats why you have eal courses and city and guilds etc...
If you have been on another scheme for 2 years+ then you need nothing elese to join other than your 17th and insurance to get in.

Whose gonna be first me or you?
Ive been a regular Dillb wheras you are just back so I guess it's down to you Mate, go on you know you want to, spit it out Mate, it wil stick in your throat other wise, I have often said the scams are a waste, and should be reorganised into something worth paying for.

Ive been a regular Dillb wheras you are just back so I guess it's down to you Mate, go on you know you want to, spit it out Mate, it wil stick in your throat other wise, I have often said the scams are a waste, and should be reorganised into something worth paying for.
It’s all old stuff that has been done to death in the past on here, it’s time we stood up to these scams and actually made the proactive. Just briefly looking over the forum it’s NIC this NIC that, we don’t worm to there standards we work to the current Regs yet you would think of it weren’t for these scamming folks we wouldn’t have a industry.

I won’t go on but you get the jist of it.

in lieu of the 2391 the niceic/elecsa offer there own online knowledge assessment that supposedly covers the same sort of questions you get in the 2391 exams. if you apply to join without the 2391 they get you to do this to cover the level 3 requirements,its open book with your books at home on the laptop. a mate did it when they first started offering it, he joined elecsa but its offered to both schemes. from what I know its not too difficult. thing is city and guilds have a sort of monopoly and there is nothing illegal in nic offering there own courses via another company if the content is deemed to be equivalent in knowledge and skill requirements. free market rules and all that. thats why you have eal courses and city and guilds etc...
If you have been on another scheme for 2 years+ then you need nothing elese to join other than your 17th and insurance to get in.

The thing is the City and Guilds version was renown for being difficult and having a low pass rate meaning you had to work hard to get it. I can’t speak for the new version or the old 2394/5, but they must of had some difficulty in passing them. Now it seems to be getting easier with a open book exam wether it because they are being pressured by the scams or because people genuinely were struggling under the older exams due to the saturation by the so called training companies.

The thing is the City and Guilds version was renown for being difficult and having a low pass rate meaning you had to work hard to get it. I can’t speak for the new version or the old 2394/5, but they must of had some difficulty in passing them. Now it seems to be getting easier with a open book exam wether it because they are being pressured by the scams or because people genuinely were struggling under the older exams due to the saturation by the so called training companies.
Think I have found a Soul Mate Dillb, a man after my own heart, get the impression it was scams that pressed for the dumb down, I did the 2391 when it first came to fruition, and it wasn't easy, it was bloody difficult, not many passed on my course, your points are spot on imo.

That’s it, since the scams to light everything seems to have been watered down, these Get rich companies sorry my mistake I meant Electrical Trainee training companies have a lot to answer for too. Yet we seem to just sit back and allow it too continue, 2-3 years ago there was a mass influx of members on here who had gone down that route. Yet when challenged on here we were told if we couldn’t answer their query not to reply at all. I genuinely don’t know what members are like on here now but hopefully we can at least express our opinions and tell people they need to maybe get more help when out of there depth.

I initially joined this forum first time round as I felt I had something to offer to it and will help anyone in any way I can, but if they can’t take that advice on board then what chance do we have?

Yet we seem to just sit back and allow it too continue, 2-3 years ago there was a mass influx of members on here who had gone down that route. Yet when challenged on here we were told if we couldn’t answer their query not to reply at all. I genuinely don’t know what members are like on here now but hopefully we can at least express our opinions and tell people they need to maybe get more help when out of there depth.
I'm still here asking stupid questions... Welcome back mate...

I thought the 2391 qualification on a scheme put you on the approved contractors list rather then the domestic installer list.

I thought the 2391 qualification on a scheme put you on the approved contractors list rather then the domestic installer list.
No No No No, the difference between either a “approved contractor” or “domestic installer” is £££££££££ Sadly that is what speaks loudest to the scams and nothing else.

For the record there is no difference between either of them you either a electrician or your not, yet again the scams have created a nothing job to make people sound more qualified than they actually are, I have even been asked if I am a domestic installer before even though they knew I was a electrician by trade.

I did the 2394/95 with total 11 hours practical and written answers to a set of questions in sections. I am with Stroma (did a year with NIC did not and would not renew) and they do things differently to NIC. If you want to be domestic installer thats one set of requirements and exams. If you want to say you do EICR you must have extra insurance (P.I. £250.000) and 2391 or 2394/95 or they will not "grade you" for that. So I joined the scheme purely to do domestic but mostly do light commercial. So for me it makes sense to join a scheme and have 2394/95. And don't get me started with NIC! Very rude bunch of people, like I am going to pay their exorbitant fees with absolutely no conception of customer service!

A little bit of history:
The 2391 was introduced by C&G at the behest of the NICEIC as a qualification to be required to be a QS.
As so many failed, the NICEIC dropped it as a requirement.

Yep,i have kept some relevant paperwork,from moons back,where the schemes mentioned,had the 2391 as a "requirement",and a few years later,the blurb stated members should confirm that they are "working towards the 2391"

It would be equally comforting to know,that the surgeon,about to do an eye operation,is "working towards his qualifications" ;)

Reply to 2391 V NICEIC - Whats the point in 2391?? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock