Discuss 2780kw ovens in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My cooker was wired to a 13a socket in the space behind the oven in a Persimmon new build, wooden construction. Some idiot cut the insulation back and reduced the strands in order to connect it, The fuse heated up. The 15 amp cable arced away but the fuse is still intact. Surely this is not to regulations in such a hot confined space. I retired in 2012 but have had to fix this as I am locked in over 72 with Cancer. I always put anything over 2.5kw on a dedicated hardwired outlet. I remember immersions in airing cupboards burning plugs, sockets and wiring. That awful fishy smell. 13a plugs these days are lethal. Do the regs allow this now? I have hardwired it and fitted a 16a MCB to the CU cooker circuit. The installation sheet states 15a cable minimum. Please advise what new regs allow. They may need to be rewritten by the IEE board.

Hi - sorry to hear of your troubles. By the sound of it you’ve been able to get the oven heating again, good job !

I don’t connect ovens through plugs, same as you were taught. Some folks try to charge electric vehicle batteries through 13A plugs and that often ends in tears too.

With strands of the cable cut who knows what capacity it had, anyway clearly not enough. Thats poor workmanship at least. And if it’s hot back there due to the oven itself, that means the cable should’ve been derated as well.

Give me back 240/250V rating plates !
(some fan heaters rated 230V ... another 13A plug in distress)
Nice to hear you have things sorted .
( If connections are not warming up -Joints are probably tight enough !)

Whilst not good, applying diversity to your oven, I calculate 11A. Not brilliant for a 13A socket.

In your hour of need, might be worth just checking your connections, see if anything was loose, causing the problem, and temporarily replacing the socket for say an FCU.

Have you informed the Developer of your find?

I have been to many new build propertys where the idiots sparks have put a single circuit 16 amp for a single ovens, so What if you want to up a double one in.

I have been to many new build propertys where the idiots sparks have put a single circuit 16 amp for a single ovens, so What if you want to up a double one in.
Depends if the house builder has specified what is going in.
The electrician maybe installing what has been asked for in the specifications.
Often if the plot is sold then the client can add variations, at an extra cost and this is forwarded to the contractor

Thanks all. Yes, I have written a very strongly worded email to Persimmon Customer Care with photos. This is, probably a Counterfeit plug wired by a kitchen fitter who did a one week course, not a long term apprenticeship. I have changed the MCB in the CU to 16amp, moved it around in descending order from the RCD and hard wired it to the 40a box behind the oven. The wire is 20a from the box to the cooker, and 40a back to the CU. Just needs signing off now when this Covid is over. Persimmon can do that for free and pay me for a call out in my own house eh?

The 'Harmonised' Standards are the basic problem. Our supply is still 240v 50Hz + or - 6%. In most of the EU it was 220v 50Hz + or - 10%. The EU Harmonised is 230v + or - 10% or threrabouts. No hardware was ever changed. Idiots derived the 'Harmonised' standards sitting on their butts.

Depends if the house builder has specified what is going in.
Or even specified anything at all. Last new build I looked in (relative was considering it) they didn't even put in a cooker circuit because, as the vendor explained, "it's all gas". There was a double socket behind the oven.
Same with other services - only provision for phone was a single socket next to TV point in lounge because "everything's wireless these days".

The cable from the CU to the rear wall behind the oven is 40amp. Due to Covid and my Cancer I cannot go and buy a length from the wall to the oven. If I had some of this, I would have used it to reconnect. That would have been the best solution. Therefore, I derated it at the CU. If a double oven is ever fitted, the original MCB (32A) is still in the CU marked 'Unused'. It will be an easy modification. It is all noted on a sheet kept with the household manuals. (A copy is now in the CU). I do not intend to continue doing any work after 'Lockdown'. I posted this to obtain an update on regulations. All answered now, so I achieved my objective. I will close this post when I find out how to.

Thread closed OPs request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2780kw ovens in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock