Discuss 4-Way Switched Outlets Converting to Recessed Lighting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

akateeter

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, thanks for taking the time to check out my post.

I recently bought a home. The living room had vaulted ceilings, but no overhead lighting. Instead, it had 6 outlets running off of a 4-way switch. I installed LED recessed lighting in the vaulted ceilings and fished a wire down the wall to one of the switched outlets to power the lights. At this outlet, I connected the 2 white wires on the left side, and the 2 black wires to the right side. I connected the white wire running up the wall to the 'white' side of the outlet, I connected the reds to the black wire running up the wall.

I also replaced all the outlets with new ones. The original outlets had constant power on the bottom plug, and the top switches were controlled by the 4-way switch. All outlets (except 1) had a red, white, & black wire running to them and a red, white, & black running to the next outlet. When I replaced the outlets with new ones, I connected the red wires together, and put both white wires on the left side, and both black wires on the right side.

The "last" outlet has only 1 red wire, so I can't tie them together. I have tried multiple combinations, but I either end up with tripped breakers, no power to anything, or constantly powered lights. I can leave the last outlet as-is, but I would like to use a dimmer for the overhead lights and I am under the impression that an outlet cannot have a dimmer.

I have attached photos of the "last" outlet. This was how it was originally installed (not sure if this helps). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_6175.jpegIMG_6176.jpeg

TL;DR
4 way switched outlets to over head lights and new outlets.
On the original receptacle were the tabs between the terminals still in place where the black and red wires are connected.

On the original receptacle were the tabs between the terminals still in place where the black and red wires are connected.
Thanks for replying! The tabs on the left (white) side were intact, but on the right (black and red) were broken.

If the tab was missing on the old one for black and red you need to do the same with the new one.

If the tab was missing on the old one for black and red you need to do the same with the new one.
Thank you for the help. Do I need to do this on all outlets? If so, will this help resolve the final outlet with only 1 red wire?
Everything works except that last outlet.

I have broken the tab on the new one just to make sure I wasn’t missing anything, but all other outlets still have them intact. Thanks again.

Impossible to say but if the tab was missing on the original one then the same should be done at the new one.

Reply to 4-Way Switched Outlets Converting to Recessed Lighting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net