Discuss 9.5kw shower, 2.5mm cable..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Ross Trician

got a call earlier this week from someone asking me to look at there shower as they had had an electric shock from it. intially advised them to switch of at pull switch, (not able to do so in fuse box as it was ild wylex 4 way and not marked up, customer unsure how to pull fuses etc)

Ayway,told em if they hadnt sorted it I could get today. basically found 2.5mm cable in pull switch and in shower, checked rating, 9.5kw,,,,,that didnt add up...lol. unable to get any proper test results, readings all over the place, (tested to satisfy curiosity of termination in cu, wondered if it was say 10m in cu and choky block joint somewhere) told customer of cable faults etc, looked in loft and found a molten lump of cables and signs of heating on loft woodwork etc.

asked em who fitted shower, "it was the chap who tiled the bathroom about 3 years ago, he seemed to know what he was doing and it's
been ok for all this time"

Part P is a good idea but still wont stop these sort of peopl eh!!!!!!

very lucky that the house hasnt burnt to the ground

its amazing what you find on some installs ive never seen a shower wired in 2.5 tho lol

lol 2.5mm..jesus!! out of intrest is a 9.5kw shower okay in 6mm if its on a 30A fuse?

yes and no , 30a breaker will protect 6mm cable , but a 9.5kw shower on full power will trip a 30 a breaker............ so not really suitable

Last edited by a moderator:
the problem is..is this,too many jobs i go to look at,mostly people wanting upgrades,ie new sockets, you come across somthing like a shower in 2.5<that one rare thank funk>but you get my drift,customer says "iits worked fine for ages...."and thinks you having them on and not wanting to part with $$$ to put right, and yes to previous post, as long as long as they selling cable there be chancers to fit it............

i dont think they ever reach there full potential do they ?
ive had to modify my switch to go to 11 for the wife!!!:Ddunno whats wrong with her but the lights dim and i fear the disk in meter flying out the speed it turns!!!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
i was called to a shower problem once, the guy had wired a 7kw shower to his lighting circuit in 1.0mm, he told me he changed the 5a fuse to 30a after it had blown when he switched on shower.The only problem he had then was his 1.0mm lighting circuit cable had melted together from the consumer to the shower via all the bedroom pendants, I had to laugh at him as we was a neighbour of mine, so he then had to pay for a new shower cct in 6mm, and the rewire of his upstairs lights, this guy is supposedly not an idiot hes a trained mechanic, but it just goes to show how ignorant people are but they still have a go themselves, thats why part p will never work.

It is on a 30A rewirable fuse, old wylex type. wasnt taking the fuse out tho.

got the job of sorting it all out tho, one of those jobs that your not sure you want to do or not....

Well, of course no one will use the full power unless there is a serious desire of self boiling. However, 2.5mm for a 9500W shower is definitely a silly think to do.
I would consider a 6.0mm cable (9.5X4.2=39.9Amps)
Anyway, 2.5mm cable did survive for a number of years! How about a 6.0mm cable then? Remember guys, cable does not burn in the middle; it is either the beginning or the end! Always check your connection!

It is on a 30A rewirable fuse, old wylex type. wasnt taking the fuse out tho.

got the job of sorting it all out tho, one of those jobs that your not sure you want to do or not....
ive been "playing with wires"as wife calls it for 20 years and ive just finished a job i should have checked out a bit more before qouting!!! if its anything like one ive done itll be added and added,from now on im going to be more thorough espically if you likley to be changing c/u,an extra half hour inspecting etc should give you better idea of what you have to do,allow you to quote more accuratley,ie hours to do work and hopfully save you coming across somthing nasty and if youve quoted a fixed price extra labour etc eating into your profit................as it did with me.......ehem! always learning,somtimes earning.....

Reply to 9.5kw shower, 2.5mm cable..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock