Currently reading:
A little assistance

Discuss A little assistance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spudnik

Chaps,

Need to do a quick calc, but havent got my regs to hand.

I have a 3kW 230V supply to run 400M underground to an outbuilding.

Thinking 2 core SWA TT'd.

I have a suspicion that 25mm will not be large enough but cant confirm it.

Would someone be good enough to work out what size i need.

Ta :)

Last edited by a moderator:
25mm @ 13amp gives a vd of 9.1volts

35mm @ 13amp gives a vd of 6.5volts

50mm @ 13amp gives a vd of 4.84volts

hope this helps

What is it your supplying and is there any chance in the future extra loads will be added to the circuit?

How is the cable being run overhead/underground?

Just a few questions you need to ask for cable calc

Last edited:
16mm will have a little too high voltage drop,but perhaps consider that the tabulated values will be based on a higher operating temperature than the small load on a much higher current carrying capacity cable which will run cooler than the tabulated calculation
If the load is not to be increased in the future a 16mm may even be within capacity,so in this situation 25mm may be more than adequate

How to calculate without the tabulated values I dont know though,so yes maybe better to move the building closer :)

Ok, just been to look at the job and well, hmmmmmm.

Its a fishing lake that has just had installed a 100A cutout in a surface cabinet with no earth connection (its out in the sticks), but this has been mounted on 2 scaffold pole sunk in the ground.

I then have to get 400M to the porta cabin that is going to have 2 airators - one 500W & one 750W, a kettle, a fridge and maybe a freezer, a few sockets and a couple of flourescent lights. Heating is not going to be used as its only open in the summer months.

The two airators will only operate at between 2 & 5AM as this is when the oxygen levels are at the worst.

Therefore, somehow i need to install a small CU in the cabinet along with a suitably rated MCB for the sub main.

The SEB quoted 20K for the supply installation & the submain!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: A little assistance hope this helps

Cable TypeArmoured Cables (90°C XLPE)
Supply voltage (V) 230
Phase:Single phase
Cable load (kVA)3
Cable length (mtrs.)400
Ambient temperature (c)30
Average efficiency1.00
Power factor1.00
Cable grouping factor1.00
Temperature correction factor1.00
No.of circuits:1
Maximum allowed volt drop (%)5.00
Selected installation MULTICORE SWA DIRECT/UNDERGROUND (IEE Table 4E4A Method D)
Cable Requirements.

Cable size (sq.mm):25.00
Max. current rating over 400 mtrs. 15.13
Actual voltage drop over 400 mtrs.9.91
Estimated conductor temperature (c)30.76
hope this helps gaz

Reply to A little assistance in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock