• Thread starter gap30
  • Start date
  • Replies 350
  • Views 34K

Currently reading:
An Awful Feeling This

Discuss An Awful Feeling This in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gap30

Hello fellow sparkies, i want to let you into a little dilema of mine, i have been a spark for about 15 years and i would call myself a 'good' electrician, i am well versed in ALL aspects of our trade and know my job inside out, i completed my 2360 over 10 years ago, have my 17th, i have done the level 3 C&G, now for the bad bit:

I HAVE FAILED THE 2391 THREE TIMES!!

Nightmare, funny thing is i have been testing and inspecting jobs for about 4 - 5 years, anyway i called up my local testing company today and they have arranged a re-sit for me at the end of August, no training, no tutors, no nothing, my head has turned to sh*t

AGAIN I AM A V GOOD ELECTRICIAN BUT I AM DREADING THIS

When i spoke to the testing company earlier the guy said he had looked over my last test answers he said i just missed out on the pass (horrible), i feel like a bag of nerves, i know guys who passed first time who could not walk with me, i am 10 times the spark they will ever be (sorry to sound like an ---)

Basically i need a new strategy if i am going to pass this, i have just ordered the exam success book of ebay.

I need tips/pointers anything, i HAVE got to pass this time or i will end up in the nuthouse

its probably your terminology. mke sure that you use the correct name for everything, and not the slang name. I.E meggering a cable is actually an insulation resistance test. doing a Ze is actually an external fault loop imedance test.
be sure to read the question thoroughly, and check all of your answers.

i was always tol to read through the paper, and answer any questions i knew the answer to. then go back and do the ones you may struggle with.

i HAVE got to pass this time or i will end up in the nuthouse

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself.

One observation I can make straight away is that you've been here since Jan 2009 and only posted 6 times, of which those post are little to do with your current problem.

GET INVOLVED!!

This here forum is one of the best resources with regards to studying and keeping your theory in check.

Yes i know but when you have done it all (me) you think you are untouchable and you know it all till you fail the 2391 three times grrrrr!

There's a wealth of information on 2391 threads but if you have any specific questions from past papers, post them up here!

The exam success book is worth a few marks on it's own as regards layout of questions and exactly how to format your answers.

Finally, Guidance Note 3, the bible, (but a better read) you need to actually understand the tests and why you are doing them, that helps you when C&G turn questions around to fox the guys that just do past papers.

There's a wealth of information on 2391 threads but if you have any specific questions from past papers, post them up here!

The exam success book is worth a few marks on it's own as regards layout of questions and exactly how to format your answers.

just had a look at the voltage drop question from the July exam and was baffled by the answer, this is embarrasing

Finally, Guidance Note 3, the bible, (but a better read) you need to actually understand the tests and why you are doing them, that helps you when C&G turn questions around to fox the guys that just do past papers.

just had a look at the voltage drop question from the june exam and was baffled by the answer, this is embarrasing

Well you've got till the end of August, which is more than enough time to read up on the subject. I assume you've passed your practical?

Well you've got till the end of August, which is more than enough time to read up on the subject. I assume you've passed your practical?

I have two great kids, a lovely wife, a big mortgage and i am under threat of redundancy and every job i look at says must have 2391 - i really mean it i HAVE TO PASS this time, not for me, for the future of family, i have the skills but not the the final piece of the jigsaw

you're referring to :

VD =
(mV/A/M) x Ib x L
​ 1000

yes many, many hours of revision are required i think, if i could pass the 2360 i can pass anything, that was 3 years of hell - out of a class of 40 twelve of us made it to the exam and 8 passed

i have got to start again from the basics as if i were an apprentice again

I have two great kids, a lovely wife, a big mortgage and i am under threat of redundancy and every job i look at says must have 2391 - i really mean it i HAVE TO PASS this time, not for me, for the future of family, i have the skills but not the the final piece of the jigsaw

Well I'd be more than happy to offer people in your position free revision and support when I run the next 2391's but I'm in Watford, mate.
I can appreciate your situation, but you've got to be positive.

Tell us your opinions on the questions from the last 2391 (June), and we will all pop in and out and help out.

Let us help you.

exam success is an excellent tool for preparing for the exam and gives loads of good advice - just think how great your gonna feel this time when you pass :)

2 An installation has been seriously overloaded and requires investigation.
State a) the type of inspection and test that would be required. (1 mark)
b) two areas which require close inspection as a result of the overloading. (2 marks)

Periodic Inspection Report

state of the wiring? main incomer? (thats the first i would look at) the amount of load? size of main switch/main fuse? use of the installation?

State three inspection checks that may be carried out on an armoured cable installation using the sense of touch. (3 marks)

? feel for heat, feel connection of conductors, check gland is tight? i find this question a little strange

A continuity of protective conductor test is required to be carried out using an instrument that has not been used for some time. State
a) one visual check to be conducted on the instrument (1 mark)
b) two instrument tests to be carried out to ensure correct operation. (2 marks)

check for calibration

short leads out (zero)
battery test

again what i would do but is it the correct answer

11 a) State the effect on measured values of insulation resistance of a 230V circuit if an insulation resistance test is carried out
i) between live conductors to earth with a tungsten lamp in circuit (1 mark)
ii) between live conductors with a switched fused connection unit, having a neon indicator, left in the off position. (1 mark)
b) State the test voltage to be applied to the circuit in a) i) above. (1 mark)

0.00 Mohms
0.25 Mohms no wrong in off would be >500Mohms
500v dc

Last edited by a moderator:
List three special locations as identified in B5 7671 that are divided into zones. (3 marks)

Locations containing a bath/shower
Sauna
Swimming pools

An insulation resistance test is to be carried out on a SELV circuit fed from a BS EN 61558-2-6 safety source. State the a) instrument to be used (1 mark) insulation resistance tester
b) test voltage to be applied (1 mark) ? 250v dc
c) minimum acceptable reading. (1 mark) ? 0.25 Mohms (guess)

what is an 61558-2-6?

To be honest mate if I were you, I wouldnt give a second thought to 2391 for a week/10 days or so, clear your head and let off any steam that might be building up.

As others have said, use the forum for what its there for.

My only advice, is that with all C&G read the question, then read it again, then read it again very slowly to make sure you have understood what they are asking for, then give an answer to the question asked - Everybody (or nearly everybody...myself included) rush the question and then end up questioning what I am going to put as an answer, then I start questioning what I have been questioning and thus the viscous circle moves on to the next question!

Good luck for the re-sit, you will get there, take a break and then hammer it senseless with the revision.

Have you made any attempt to answer these questions?

All of the answers are in Guidance Note 3 and BS 7671:2008, have you not got copies of these publications?

There is a full section in Guidance Note 3 (2.6.3) entitled Inspection Checklist, it details the inspections to be carried out on an installation and is worthy of a few hours revision in itself.

You won't learn if we just fire the answers out here-the art is being able to find the answers yourself and in doing so, stumbling upon other gems that you would otherwise have missed.

Give it your best shot and anything that you're absolutely stuck on, post it up.

Reply to An Awful Feeling This in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock