Discuss Ancient Fusebox, old CU & Cable Problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Smokey85

Hello AllI am looking for some advice, my girlfriends CU needs to be replaced and removed.She had two extra rooms fitted to the apartment (which converted an old hallway into part bathroom), and her electrics have been left in a sorry state. Currently choc-blocked to death, even on the CU.Its currently in a position which does not meet the 17th Edition, its about 20cm from a sink (seperated by a MDF panel), and 10cm from an immersion heater which only has one element, (the top is missing, and there's no sacrifical anode).Its a little like this:Meter Service Fuse E7 (Outside in meter box) > Very Old WireFuse Box (actually in bathroom with no dead-front) > 60A Cable with ChocBlock (cable comes out behind fusebox and into immersion heater cupboard, a chocbloc then attaches it to the cu ) > 16th Edition CU (10cm next to immersion heater in cupboard / 20cm away from Sink seperated by MDF panel) > ServicesI've bought a new CU 17th Edition Compliant (Wylex Dual RCD with 7MCBs and 1 RCBO).There should be no problem fitting it to the top of the cupboard corner, and I plan once supplies are isolated to literrally feed the cabling straight from the Meter to the new CU (to get rid off the old CU and Ancient deathtrap FuseBox). The problem is the service wiring, it simply is not long enough to reach the extra meter of the top corner of the cupboard.Is it a requirement to place all new wiring to the cooker, lighting, sockets etc... Or would it be possible to use service connector blocks or something else which can withstand the cable current(open to suggestions) for the 1m more cable I need.On compleation we then need a PartP Sparky to certify the installation, so we can rent the place out.Current Estimates for the work have been very varied ÂŁ700, ÂŁ750, ÂŁ1200, ÂŁ1750... So is it possible to extend cable or will it need re-wiring? The later sums of money are a bit to much, and the first two (not impressed with abilities - they are not options).Any thoughts?Many thanksSmokey

Last edited by a moderator:
ooof sounds like a can of worms you can extend cables done correctly are the cables dropping down from ceiling to the existing cu that is in the sink lol??

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here?

In one breath it sounds like you're thinking of doing the work yourself but in the other you mention you have had quotes to do the work.

Could you clarify exactly what it is you're asking please :)

Whoever you get to do the work will know what to do anyway so it isn't really any concern of yours other than the fact that they are competent and Part P registered or the Local Authority Building Control will be invited around before and after to inspect and test the work carried out.

:thumbsup

Get a competent Electrician out to test the installation would be my suggestion or get a couple more out to give you quotes for the work. Variances in prices could be explained by the fact that you're asking them for different "things"

ooof sounds like a can of worms you can extend cables done correctly are the cables dropping down from ceiling to the existing cu that is in the sink lol??
Hi Peter. The cables are actually running along the floor and upwards to the old CU (its about a meter up, hence the reason to put the new one at the top far corner of the immersion heater cupboard so its away from the immersion heater and sink). What I was hoping to do was to fit a correct rated junction boxes for each cable which does not reach (cooker, lighting, bedrom & front room sockets, kitchen sockets). Then run the cables to the new CU. I am very reluctant to replace the cables, this will be a hell of a lot of work. Do you have any thoughts on an alternative method? Cheers Smokey

I am doing the work myself. I will then get an electrician to test & inspect it. The question was the best was to extend service cable by a meter. Smokey

Get a competent Electrician out to test the installation would be my suggestion or get a couple more out to give you quotes for the work. Variances in prices could be explained by the fact that you're asking them for different "things"
Ok All please - I will do the work myself (please don't bombard this thread), it is not going to be that difficult other than to extend the cables by about 1m. Ideally an electrician will do this (but not at these prices), I have a more than competent ability to do the work myself (just the electrics I do are on ship). I will be doing the work myself and then having an electrician to test and ispect the compleated work (although I'll be doing this anyway). For the purpose to gain certification to rent. If it does not meet requirements, I will rewire but I am 100% positive it will. Seeing the work which electricans has not impressed me by standards. All I want is advice from people who have similar experience or idea's of extending the cables correctly bearing in mind where the cable currently feed is an old CU 20cm from a sink & 10cm from an immersion heater - seperated by an MDF panel. Cheers Smokey

Hi,

There are a couple of ways you could extend the cables. One would be to place the exsisting cables into an adaptable box which is suitably rated and extend that way. The service cables could be put into a henly block and extended, but without seeing the set up its really difficult to advise. I have no doubt you could do the work yourself, but as it is notifiable to the local authority (planning department) you should inform them prior to starting work, pay them a fee (usually ÂŁ200 +) they will then check the work afterwards.

Welcome to the cash cow that is part p!! An electrician cannot sign of your work and notify it unless it has been installed by him/herself as otherwise it is against the self certification rules, and it is what we all pay or fees for, but that is another subject altogether!!

Have a chat with your local borough council, ask to speak to the department that deals with notifiable electrical work. even though the fee is a lot it may be a lot less than what you have been quoted for the work. Good luck.

I think you will probably struggle to get someone to sign off and, more importantly, notify the install mate. If you're a qualified spark your LABC may accept your signature on the certificates, some will some will not. If not NAPIT offer a scheme whereby you can notify a few jobs via them which might work out cheaper than paying someone who may be less than scrupulous to sign off work that he has not seen every stage of. Or cheaper than the extortionate LABC fees.
Do you have access to calibrated test equipment and know how to use it.
Please note that's a genuine question not a slag off

second the last 2 posts. best way to extend circuit cables is with din rail wago connectors in an adaptable box. tails with henley blocks. you may then be able to get a registered spark to inspect and test, the work described will be visible for him to check, but it's down to him whwether or not he wants to put his name to it.

I understand someone wanting to get a job done for the minimum possible and that is fair enough so long as the job is carried out safely and conforms.

In my opinion the Din rail option is the only one to consider. The reason I say this is because if you do it any other way and change the position of the cu you will have the existing cables (coming from floor upwards outside of a safe zone).

Before you carry out the work you will need to discuss everything with the electrician who will be signing the work off. Don't jump in and carry out the work first because you will be hard pushed to find anyone to test, inspect and CERTIFY it which is required BY LAW under Part P of the Building regulations :thumbsup

Don't forget the main fuse will need to be removed by the DNO (not you) unless you intend to work live either way this is against the law.My advice get someone in from the start.

unless you intend to work live .

personally, and it's only my humble opinion, but how the hell could he work if he was dead.
:jester:

I am doing the work myself. I will then get an electrician to test & inspect it. The question was the best was to extend service cable by a meter. Smokey

Carefull mate, you cant go saying things like that on this forum, you'll get eaten alive by the 'rules are rules' brigade.

To answer your question, there is nothing wrong with extending cables with correct sized JB's. If you're gonna get a sparky to test, cert and register it then find one and agree with him first because not all sparks will be willing to do this (it's not entirely legal). If the tails from the meter aren't long enough then replace them. You'll have to cut the seals off of course and the suppliers don't like that but IMO if they should've given us DP isolaters if they didn't want their stuff tampered with.
But thats a whole different thread.

Thank you all for some solid advice - I will have a look at Henly Blocks and Adaptable Blocks with the DIN rails. I am going to have a word with the council about the notafiable electrical work and see how possible that it, if not I will fall back to chatting with the electricans. Telling them the plan and then using them to wire up the CU to the meter. No I would not work live - thats in an unecassary risk (if I can't get an electrician out, I will phone the comnpany for a temporary disconnection). In response to the question I have a calibrated and in date - Flukes 89 and Meggers MIT420, the MIT injects a voltage so not a problem. Many thanks Smokey

Reply to Ancient Fusebox, old CU & Cable Problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock