Discuss Being self employed and the coronavirus in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

One of the biggest issues that will come to light after all this is the total inefficiency and inadequacy of government departments, benefits, job centres etc.....the majority of the people in the country have never had the misfortune of dealing with them before.......

Absolutely... and the mixed messages. I'm trying to get some clarity on the guidance and the information is just garbage, but I did discover that Gwent police are out and about enforcing the rules on social distancing etc. And in their view only key workers should be going to work, so are we key workers? Some documents say you can travel to work 'only if absolutely necessary', others just say if it can't be done from home.

Yes there are a lot of rules, yes people should be using common sense, but it's not hard to provide more clarity. Take the fact that they have added the bit about work in peoples homes... the example they've used suggests only repairs and maintenance, but it is only an example. So are these rules going to be used to decide who can furlough their employees or not? If you're self employed, will they be used (when they eventually get their act together on that) to decide if you can claim or whether you should have been out flouting the rules.

In situations like this, the vast majority of people will do as they are told but for that to work there needs to be clarity... clarity that in my opinion is not difficult to provide. The work in peoples homes part could be clarified with something like "only works to keep the property safe for continued use are allowed". That's it, as it is, it's entirely open to interpretation.

The work in peoples homes part could be clarified with something like "only works to keep the property safe for continued use are allowed .

.but where do you draw the line? OAP with a fridge/freezer not working or no hot water? maybe a simple fix like resetting a RCD or isolating a faulty leg of a circuit. in and out within the hour; common sense applied re social distancing, hand washing after touching surfaces. would you class that as essential?

Absolutely... and the mixed messages. I'm trying to get some clarity on the guidance and the information is just garbage, but I did discover that Gwent police are out and about enforcing the rules on social distancing etc. And in their view only key workers should be going to work, so are we key workers? Some documents say you can travel to work 'only if absolutely necessary', others just say if it can't be done from home.

Yes there are a lot of rules, yes people should be using common sense, but it's not hard to provide more clarity. Take the fact that they have added the bit about work in peoples homes... the example they've used suggests only repairs and maintenance, but it is only an example. So are these rules going to be used to decide who can furlough their employees or not? If you're self employed, will they be used (when they eventually get their act together on that) to decide if you can claim or whether you should have been out flouting the rules.

In situations like this, the vast majority of people will do as they are told but for that to work there needs to be clarity... clarity that in my opinion is not difficult to provide. The work in peoples homes part could be clarified with something like "only works to keep the property safe for continued use are allowed". That's it, as it is, it's entirely open to interpretation.
Agree I have a consumer unit change for tomorrow power to an out building on Friday, obviously both those can wait, that’s my decision not the customers, but I’ve just had a call from an elderly lady in my road actually who’s kettle socket is smoking and smells of burning.....

The work in peoples homes part could be clarified with something like "only works to keep the property safe for continued use are allowed .

.but where do you draw the line? OAP with a fridge/freezer not working or no hot water? maybe a simple fix like resetting a RCD or isolating a faulty leg of a circuit. in and out within the hour; common sense applied re social distancing, hand washing after touching surfaces. would you class that as essential?
It's a shame they banned 'common sense' years ago... that's exactly what's needed right now...

Impossible to give absolute yes and no limits. Always open to interpretation. There will always be people in whatever position/profession who don't quite fit into the specific rules.

And as Tel says, one person's essential will be different to the next.

In a word... yes I would... because no hot water = inability to follow other rules and keep up cleanliness and fridge/freezer not working = potential requirement to shop more frequently which presents a much bigger risk to the individual in question because there are too many morons not following the distancing rules in places like supermarkets... even the staff at Asda were not following them and then they're looking at me like I'm stupid because I have a respirator and gloves on ffs.

Agree I have a consumer unit change for tomorrow power to an out building on Friday, obviously both those can wait, that’s my decision not the customers, but I’ve just had a call from an elderly lady in my road actually who’s kettle socket is smoking and smells of burning.....

So there's no problem. You do the latter one.

Impossible to give absolute yes and no limits. Always open to interpretation. There will always be people in whatever position/profession who don't quite fit into the specific rules.

And as Tel says, one person's essential will be different to the next.

Totally get it, each job should be looked at individually and assessed. But consider some examples....

Plastering... required to keep things safe? Hardly
New carpets/flooring... required right now? Probably not
Finishing a kitchen... if it's things like putting doors on (i.e. the general finish), then that can wait but if it's finishing basic amenities like power, water and gas for cleaning, cooking, etc. that in my opinion is essential

These are some of the jobs I've put off...

Installing a new burglar alarm system - Not required right now, not safety critical
Moving some sockets and adding some - Not required right now, not safety critical
Installing power to a shed - Not required right now, not safety critical
Changing lights - Not required right now, not safety critical
Installing new outside lighting - Not required right now, not safety critical

So yes, common sense does have to come into play. The point I'm making is really about whether the guidance will be used to decide who can access the financial assistance for business.

As it stands the guidance allows me to continue working in peoples homes for undefined durations for any purpose and therefore in the eyes of government I can continue to run the business as normal. I'm choosing not to do that because in my opinion at this moment in time, it is the right thing to do for the benefit of everyone, but with the updated guidance that decision is not supported by government and as such it could prevent businesses from getting access to the assistance.

even the staff at Asda were not following them and then they're looking at me like I'm stupid because I have a respirator and gloves on ffs.

Sorry @SparkyChick we will need photo evidence of that ?

As it stands the guidance allows me to continue working in peoples homes for undefined durations for any purpose and therefore in the eyes of government I can continue to run the business as normal. I'm choosing not to do that because in my opinion at this moment in time, it is the right thing to do for the benefit of everyone, but with the updated guidance that decision is not supported by government and as such it could prevent businesses from getting access to the assistance.

If they try to use their irresponsible advice as a tool to avoid payment to tradesmen then my response will be that the customers cancelled all my work for me leaving me unemployed.

Not sure how far that will run but I'll fight for help for sure.

Basically we’re in mid air at present. It’s just a case of using your head. Just been in the Co-op getting some ‘essentials’ for my old folks. One girl told me that things are miles better safety wise, today..and it seemed so. May be big problems personally, though...my old fella does nearly everything for my mum, who’s not too well at all. He’s done his back in, old complaint, and is lying next to her in bed.:rolleyes:

Luckily I have savings to fall back on so I'm not overly concerned.

As I'm high risk as are two of my girls I've decided to sack work and keep my distance. Working on BT street cabs is grotty at the best of time but the risk of infection is too much for me to keep working.
Hi Pal I’m in same category as you with having a couple of months savings and a child at home with Crohn’s disease so making him very high risk.
Do you know if it’s possible to wind up a business with hmrc then claim benefits for 4 months then restart business

Reply to Being self employed and the coronavirus in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock