Discuss Being self employed and the coronavirus in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've just got back from Asda, pretty quiet, not fully stocked but even now after last nights announcement, people simply are not listening.

The most annoying thing about this situation is, health aside, the people who are going to come out of this the worst off are those who do the right thing.

I've just got back from Asda, pretty quiet, not fully stocked but even now after last nights announcement, people simply are not listening.

The most annoying thing about this situation is, health aside, the people who are going to come out of this the worst off are those who do the right thing.
Seems to be the way things work in this country ?

Rushi wotshisname just been on radio 2 to clear up self employed people and money......thanks for that rushi I’m still none the wiser ?

I just registered for Tesco to place an order rather than go physically to the shop. Can't get a delivery nor click and collect at all for at least three weeks by which point their calendar 'runs out'.
Guess I will be making a 4am visit to the local Asda in the hope they are slightly restocked and quiet...

Failing that there are a couple of tasty looking horses in the field opposite mine...
I've just returned from my local Sainsbury's, quite pleasant really. Not too busy, people keeping their distance and plenty of most things even toilet paper. There were things missing but you could basically get what you wanted, though maybe not your normal type of a specific item.

Just seen this on twitter saying this passed yesterday so not 100% what it now means.
Screenshot (211).png

Just seen in the news that a bill should be passed within 48hrs giving self employed 80% of they wages......

Thanks for the update BE.

It would have been really really nice if the government actually clearly stated this a few days ago though. It's no wonder the scenes in London have been such as they are without clear clarification on help for self employed. I suspect a fair percentage of who went to work today would have stayed at home if they knew help was going to be forthcoming.
I have not been to work today or tomorrow and am only working on Thursday this week (will be on my own all day otherwise I would not go).
Had a proper Lego fest with my kids today - self supported eight foot towers, bridges that can hold seven tins of beans (they were not actually all beans though - I am not selfish!!)..

Thanks for the update BE.

It would have been really really nice if the government actually clearly stated this a few days ago though. It's no wonder the scenes in London have been such as they are without clear clarification on help for self employed. I suspect a fair percentage of who went to work today would have stayed at home if they knew help was going to be forthcoming.
I have not been to work today or tomorrow and am only working on Thursday this week (will be on my own all day otherwise I would not go).
Had a proper Lego fest with my kids today - self supported eight foot towers, bridges that can hold seven tins of beans (they were not actually all beans though - I am not selfish!!)..
8 tins?!?.....pictures or it didn’t happen! ?

Anyone that has sky sports can get it paused saving you the subscription until normal service resumes. 2 minutes does it.

Will not automatically give you a replacement income though. Which the paye version does, unless you are zero hours guaranteed, 80% of zero is zero. Another reason the buses & tubes are still full. If you have been trading but had a crap last few years due to medical etc, they take an average for the 3 years if you made a loss but backed it up with savings/capitol now gone, you will be awarded nothing.

Just seen this on twitter saying this passed yesterday so not 100% what it now means.
View attachment 56548
Just seen in the news that a bill should be passed within 48hrs giving self employed 80% of they wages......

I first say that Bill last week after it had its first reading in the house of commons. It has now been through its second reading in the house of commons which I think means it will now be passed to the house of Lords to be read at least twice.
So although it has indeed been passed it has only been passed by the house of commons, it has a bit more to go yet before it is enacted as far as I know

You can see the progress of the coronavirus bill through Parliament here Coronavirus Bill 2019-21 — UK Parliament - https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/2019-21/coronavirus.html
It actually had its first reading in the house of Lords today, it's a little way off getting royal assent and being enacted into law.
[automerge]1585082481[/automerge]
another good reason to scrap the old farts in the house of lords.

What's that? To allow the government to sneak anything they like into emergency legislation which doesn't get picked up on until its too late and we find that some of their 'temporary powers' are actually permanent?

The due process exists for very good reasons, and as slow and tedious as it seems I wouldn't like to find out the hard way what those reasons are.
[automerge]1585082661[/automerge]
They are moving this bill through Parliament very quickly, there is an aim to get the third reading done and dusted tomorrow.

I believe the part about self employed people was only added later and as a result of the readings and debates. If they hadn't been following the due process then us self employed people may have been left out completely.

Last edited:
8 tins?!?.....pictures or it didn’t happen! ?

Can't believe you are doubting me, I'm upset !! No seriously...

IMG_20200324_162305.jpg

IMG_20200324_174504.jpg

[automerge]1585083677[/automerge]
Will not automatically give you a replacement income though. Which the paye version does, unless you are zero hours guaranteed, 80% of zero is zero. Another reason the buses & tubes are still full. If you have been trading but had a crap last few years due to medical etc, they take an average for the 3 years if you made a loss but backed it up with savings/capitol now gone, you will be awarded nothing.

Very good point BB. Thankfully that won't affect me personally.

You can see the progress of the coronavirus bill through Parliament here Coronavirus Bill 2019-21 — UK Parliament - https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/2019-21/coronavirus.html
It actually had its first reading in the house of Lords today, it's a little way off getting royal assent and being enacted into law.
[automerge]1585082481[/automerge]

What's that? To allow the government to sneak anything they like into emergency legislation which doesn't get picked up on until its too late and we find that some of their 'temporary powers' are actually permanent?

The due process exists for very good reasons, and as slow and tedious as it seems I wouldn't like to find out the hard way what those reasons are.
[automerge]1585082661[/automerge]
They are moving this bill through Parliament very quickly, there is an aim to get the third reading done and dusted tomorrow.

I believe the part about self employed people was only added later and as a result of the readings and debates. If they hadn't been following the due process then us self employed people may have been left out completely.
The whole Bill and the diktats relating to COVID-19 have all been incredibly fascist in nature. It's really quite frightening. It makes you think that once this crisis has abated administrations around the world will seek another crisis to back their unrestricted powers.

The whole Bill and the diktats relating to COVID-19 have all been incredibly fascist in nature. It's really quite frightening. It makes you think that once this crisis has abated administrations around the world will seek another crisis to back their unrestricted powers.

I agree, though I'm not sure fascist is the right word, maybe dictatorial would be better placed. But either way I know exactly what you mean.

And it is exactly why it needs to go through the due process of being read and reviewed, and also going through royal assent.

That is a feat of engineering my man.....your kids will be proud of you/that!

TBH I think they were p155ed off as I dictated every single Lego piece!! I suspect I took the fun out of it with my, cough splutter, precision engineering....hmmmmm!!

Reply to Being self employed and the coronavirus in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net