• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Best skills for an Electrician's mate in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just started retraining as an electrician and am starting my Level 2 EAL course in September. In the meantime I want to develop my skills as much as I can, however there are a lot of skills to develop.

What I want to know is, what skill would a Electrician most appreciate if they were looking to hire a mate.

Not so much skills but a few obvious qualities I can think of...

Punctuality - be where you have to be when you have to be. Do not show up half bladdered or hung over from the night before.

Stay off your phone.

Be proactive where you can and listen and learn. There will be times when you'll need to watch to follow some instructions but a lot of the job (domestic especially) will be unloading/loading the van and getting onto the next job.

Stay off your phone.

Do as you're told (as long as it's reasonable and legal) and don't moan. For example, don't gripe about being sent to collect things from the van multiple times.

Stay off your phone.

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean.

Stay off your phone.

NEVER try to answer any questions from the customer about the job you are on. Leave that to your gaffer. You may cause all sort of problems.

Stay off your phone.

Look after any PPE & tools provided. That stuff costs money.

Stay off your phone.

Make sure all tools & equipment accounted for at the end of the day. You do not want to be in a situation where you were told to clean up after your gaffer and go to the next job just to realise you have left an SDS drill on the last job 30 miles away.

Stay off your phone ;)

@sloughrookie
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Ps time keeping, turn up to site or meeting point 10 to 15 minutes early, there is nothing worse than having a busy day ahead and waiting for the mate to turn up.

On time is not screeching into car park with one minute to spare.
It is in the building, tools in hand boots on etc.

When at work, look as presentable as you can. There will times when you and your clothes will get dirty on the job, it's inevitable. However, don't just turn up (especially for domestic work) looking like a scarecrow trying to sell a bunch of stolen Big Issues to get his next fix.

If you can, it's always handy to have a spare pair of work boots and keep one pair clean. That way you can rotate them to reduce wear & tear and foot stink. If you are on a muddy site on Wednesday and due to work in someones house on Thursday morning and you don't have time to scrape an inch of crap off your boots, you will have a nice clean pair on standby.

Also, honesty will get you far. We all make mistakes, so if you think you have screwed up something....tell your gaffer immediately. Hopefully it's something they can sort out easily and make sure you learn from any mistakes.

If you try to hide/deny something and it later gets covered up by plaster/kitchen/whatever and your company gets a call back then you can be in some deep doo doo

When given a new task to do, it's worth getting your gaffer to check out your attempts to ensure they're happy before you carry on. Don't just assume you are doing it correctly because that's the way you learnt in college or from a former colleague/boss. Electricians can be a funny breed and many of them think their way to do something is the correct and only way it should be done.

Listen more than you speak in the ratio of at least 2 to 1.

Learn to anticipate what will be needed and when.

Love your tools and test kit.

Be careful in your work but learn to do that with some appropriate pace - time is money.

Realise you will learn much which is of equal or often greater value than you will find in books or spouted in the classroom.

A great question Sir. :)

Not so much skills but a few obvious qualities I can think of...

Punctuality - be where you have to be when you have to be. Do not show up half bladdered or hung over from the night before.

Stay off your phone.

Be proactive where you can and listen and learn. There will be times when you'll need to watch to follow some instructions but a lot of the job (domestic especially) will be unloading/loading the van and getting onto the next job.

Stay off your phone.

Do as you're told (as long as it's reasonable and legal) and don't moan. For example, don't gripe about being sent to collect things from the van multiple times.

Stay off your phone.

If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean.

Stay off your phone.

NEVER try to answer any questions from the customer about the job you are on. Leave that to your gaffer. You may cause all sort of problems.

Stay off your phone.

Look after any PPE & tools provided. That stuff costs money.

Stay off your phone.

Make sure all tools & equipment accounted for at the end of the day. You do not want to be in a situation where you were told to clean up after your gaffer and go to the next job just to realise you have left an SDS drill on the last job 30 miles away.

Stay off your phone ;)
Hi there I really like your post straight to the point and it made me laugh. I was wondering do u need an electricians mate would love to work with ya email me at [email protected] and we can take it from there. Hope to hear from you soon

Reply to Best skills for an Electrician's mate in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back