Discuss bonding for swa in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

albi

-
Reaction score
We all know that armed cables should be bonded but I have inherited a job of a so called electrical contractor. My problem is he as ran 2 core 16mm SWA to 3 flats with a separate 16mm earth but the SWA has not been glanded off, and it’s a finished job.
I can not pull out and start over so does any one know of any other way to earth the armouring without glanding off. Please no Tenby earth straps

Hi.

In short no. To effectively earth the armourings glanding off is the only way. Are the armoureds surface run or hidden in walls?? Could you not install a metal adaptable box above/below the CU and gland into that?? contiunuing the cores through and earthing the armoudes that way??

Not entirely sure, but I think he has covered bases with the use of a seperate CPC. Table 54.7 quotes that if csa of phase is 16mm or greater, then the CPC must be the same CSA. By running a separate he is complying.

It is not an exposed part as it is sheathed.

I stand to be corrected (not shot down).

Dave

this is not my recomendation they do need glanding, but if you are in a muddle you could strip some outer off to expose the armour, you could solder a fly lead on each end and terminate it that way (rough though)

Luckily as it's not the circuits cpc only one end needs bonding, so as markspark666 suggests you could strip the outer sheath then pull the strands to one side, trim them to the same length and find a crimp lug that's a good fit.

It won't look very smart but perhaps you could find something to overwrap the whole thing.
Richard.

albi is there any reason why you can,t isolate i know it could inconvienence the client but it seems like it,s not your fault,and lets face it both you and the client want a good job done
yours benji

If it was only that easy I would not off been asking the question but no the SWA is all behind plastered wall (finished) and about 20mm showing. As I am only issuing a periodic for the job to building control it will have to go down as a departure.
My fist thoughts where to go down the lines of what is used in the jointing kits i.e. sprung steel and earth brads any thoughts on that as i only need to protect the SWA from any impac(nails/screws)

when i first used the coiled spring clamps i thought they were **** but changed my opinion as the do get a good hold and visualy they would look better than a tenby ,but you would have to use an earth braid and could you term the braid into the earth bar in the cu.
is the cable plastered into the wall and if so is it protected in any way
yours benji

Last edited by a moderator:
yes its plasterd in with no protection apart fron the 80amp fuse at the fused isolater at the meter end this is my consern as i only need to earth the SWA not the final cu as this is coverd by the sepoarate 16mm earth wire

Has anyone ever used these, I've seen them used in lamp posts but I've never been able to find anywhere that sells them.

Attachments

• bonding for swa 12072006140 - EletriciansForums.net
    12072006140.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 43
  • bonding for swa 12072006142 - EletriciansForums.net
    12072006142.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 38
  • bonding for swa 12072006143 - EletriciansForums.net
    12072006143.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 34
See BS7671 522.6.6 (i) Incorporate an EARTHED Metallic covering etc etc cables complying with BS5467 SWA
So armouring must be earthed even if not being used as a CPC
Reg 134.1.1 Good workmanship by competent persons ..... proper materials.........Equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer....
The cable should be properly terminated in accordance with manufacturer instructions = GLANDED both ends and SWA earthed as should any other exposed conductive part.
I suggest you dig it out and do it properly if thats part of the contract otherwise report it on the PIR as an observation and recommend cable is correctly terminated

Go with the earthing coiled springs and braid. I wasn’t impressed with them the first time I used them in joints but when I tested them before sealing the joint I changed my mind. The one I used had half moon sectors that went around the inner serving and pushed down under the armourings then the clamp went around the whole lot, they were absolutely sound.

Yep used them myself many times with both braid and multi stranded flexible cable, with a heat shrink breakout overall covering the earth termination and the complete end of the cable.

All SWA cable terminations on high end projects will incorporate heat shrink cable breakouts, they seal the cable completely against any moisture ingress.

Reply to bonding for swa in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock