Discuss bonding of main water plastic incoming in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

All this ir test from met to water pipe is nonsense, the pipe is full of water an is connected to your neighbours property, whose water pipe is either connected to an equipotential bond or an earthed immersion and boiler which is in turn connected to met and back to transformer, I have never done this test and won the saving of my 10mm and earth clamp, bond it, tick it on the form n forget it

All this ir test from met to water pipe is nonsense, the pipe is full of water an is connected to your neighbours property, whose water pipe is either connected to an equipotential bond or an earthed immersion and boiler which is in turn connected to met and back to transformer, I have never done this test and won the saving of my 10mm and earth clamp, bond it, tick it on the form n forget it.

Yup well done mate...............you need to patent that idea to be honest.
Street equipotential bonding............could be a winner mate go with it !

Watch out for plastic incomers at your neighbors tho u might kill your kids:)
Harsh but true I'm afraid:(

No, if incomer is plastic then the plumbing is not classed as an extraneous conductive part.

Only a test can confirm whether something is an extraneous conductive part or not, plastic may not be conductive but the water inside it is!

It's this type of attitude that gets on my jubblies!

Thanks mr. Skelton , sounds like Alan was away from school on electrical conductivity day, like to see him do an ir test under water, you bond it at 600 or at the most accessible part even if its a small section going in to the megaflow, you still need ADS when the immersion heater shorts to earth!, don't fancy getting into the bath when that happens or is water not conductive now?

Lol..........dear me:)

Can I invest in this water earth clamp you've patented ffs lmao !

Just to clarify btw.
You would bond a plastic pipe because it had water in it?

mmmmmm nice one mate I like it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify btw.
You would bond a plastic pipe because it had water in it?

Of course not, but SBSB said if the incomer is plastic then the PLUMBING isn't an extraneous conductive part. I would test the metal pipework nearest to the connection to the plastic incomer and if extraneous; bond.

The big problem with the 22k IR test has already been pointed out......parallel paths. Even disconnecting earth wires from boilers and immersion heaters etc might not eliminate them. The gas pipe will be connected to the boiler intoducing a parallel path,do you disconnect that?
I've given up with IR testing copper fed from plastic to confirm if it is an ECP,only if I can visually confirm that the copper has no possibility of PP's would I bother. Otherwise unless the copper is very short I assume it's going to be extraneous and bond.

Of course not, but SBSB said if the incomer is plastic then the PLUMBING isn't an extraneous conductive part. I would test the metal pipework nearest to the connection to the plastic incomer and if extraneous; bond.

Sorry mate that wasn't directed at you lol

Just remove the main earthing conductor from the MET as if you were measuring Ze and test between that (the earth) and the pipe. No parallell paths then.

Yes there are. You are likely to get parallel paths from other extraneous services such as gas/oil which are mechanically connected to the same system as the water via boilers etc and not practical to remove.Disconnecting main earths and bonds still does not eliminate misleading readings.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's assuming other services have been bonded, which if they have and it is affecting the water then bonding it anyway isn't going to do any harm. If the bonds are affecting the water so much that you get a 0.05 - 0.06 reading then some would argue that it would be safe to assume a bond is already in place and to leave it and crack on.

A local firm in my area have just had the nic crawling all over them because they didn't run a main bond to the water main. Incoming pipe was plastic covered copper, rest of houses in plastic (scheme).
I would still run a bond and connect it on to the stop valve, this would satisfy the sheets, regs, and any electrician who looks at it.

If told to do it by the foreman do it and when questioned say that Mo Fo told me to do it!

Do you do everything a foreman tells you to do??? :)

That's assuming other services have been bonded, which if they have and it is affecting the water then bonding it anyway isn't going to do any harm. If the bonds are affecting the water so much that you get a 0.05 - 0.06 reading then some would argue that it would be safe to assume a bond is already in place and to leave it and crack on.

You miss the point mate,existing bonding has nothing to do with it. If a gas pipe (for example) is extraneous,it will be at earth potential or thereabouts whether it is bonded or not.There is likely to be some electrical continuity to the water system via mechanical connection between pipework at a boiler even with all bonds/earth disconnected. Thats why the IR test to establish whether bonding is required is nearly always misleading.....(IMO!)

Reply to bonding of main water plastic incoming in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net