Discuss Breaking capacity of 3871 fuse lower than pfc? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i have just done a test on a property and the pfc at origin of installation was 0.712ka. The 3871 mobs have a 6000a breaking capacity. I am a bit confused as I have read something about it always being higher anyway (16ka) for a fuse or main switch 100a or less. Any info here would be much appreciated as I don't want to say this needs to be changed if it doesn't as customer will unlikely get it done anyway and what code would it be if it is a fault. Cheers

You have maximum potential current (PFC) of 712A, the circuit breaker can handle a maximum current of 6000A, therefore the circuit breaker will never have to handle a current above its maximum rating and is therefore safe.
Even if the fault current were above 6000A then annex Zb of BS EN 61439 states for the UK that domestic consumer units must be type tested to withstand, as an assembly, a fault current up to 16,000A if the consumer unit is protected at origin by a 100A or less service fuse.

Don't be too embarrassed OP, even if your maths is flawed, you quest for knowledge is not. Hope you haven't been put off.

I usually get my noughts in a tiswas with Ω, kΩ & mΩ. Mind I also get confused when I get 4 numbers on euromillions, and somehow only get £29 :(

Reply to Breaking capacity of 3871 fuse lower than pfc? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I have a question regarding the breaking capacity of circuit protective devices. So, the breaking capacity rating of devices in domestic...
Replies
Views
About 15 years ago, after having had a modern consumer unit fitted, and prompted by our electrician, I asked my then energy supplier (Tonik) if...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Newly qualified electrician here who is in the process of re-wiring my own property. I have recently converted my old CU (if I can call...
Replies
Views
Hi First time with this kind of a job for me. I have a scenario where i am planning to install about 50m 25mm TPN from a TNCS supply to supply a...
Replies
Views
Background: House was built early 1980s, fuse board is mostly the old school ceramic fuses. The wiring is said to be of modern design with 'tough...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock