Discuss British Gas Smart meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Smart meters my ar$e. They have a sim card inside them that sends usage data over mobile networks so they save money by not employing meter readers. They also emit radiation aparantly (according to them) its not harmful but anti big brother people believe otherwise and we are not legally obliged to have them. I've actually told my provider that I'm removing the meter and fitting my own. (Yes it is completely legal) and I'm charging them £20 a week storage fee for their meter which I removed. That £80 a month pays my bills now :) and there's naff all they can do about it....until they collect the meter :-(

You may or may not be right about the legality of interfering with the DNO's property, but in my mind, you would be so breaking the property law!! But i'll be happy with you enlightening me otherwise and showing the legislation that would allow you to remove a sealed DNO consumption meter and being able to replace said meter with your own consumption meter. Call me a skeptic if you like, but no company in their right mind, is going to accept a third parties meter, to accurately measure that companies product, ...End Of

Last edited by a moderator:
They can prosecute you for cutting the seal and interfering with their equipment.
They regularly turn a blind eye to seals falling off for a DB change but can't see them doing the same for you removing their meter.

You can actually supply your own meter, it must be of an approved type and the supplier must have knowledge of this prior to it being changed. It can only be fitted by a qualified person and becomes part of the house, therefore it does not go with you when you sell the property. Whether by qualified they mean a spark or whether they want a meter monkey I am unsure.

I'm not fluent in sections of law but a basic google search throws up plenty of info. As said the supplier needs prior knowledge of this but it can be done. The same is said for smart meters, you do not need to have one and if a supplier will only install these you can supply your own standard version of a meter.

The electricity act 1989 allows a customer to install his own meter with the permission of the authorised electricity supplier (licenced by the Secretary of State). (There are more details but that's the basic info)
And the authorised supplier is allowed to discontinue supply if the meter is not installed and operated as per the requirements.

So basically you need their permission to do it, they can require a meter supplied by you to be replaced at any time if the need arises and they can cut you off if they think your meter doesn't comply with their requirements.

Thanks.
However, from what you've said there Dave it can be done but only with their approval and if they don't like it (which they won't) after you have been given permission they can tell you to rip it out again.
You can do it but you can't

In 1986 and then in 1989, the UK’s Gas and Electricity Acts were respectively brought into being. Amongst other provisions, these Acts enshrined statutory provisions allowing energy consumers to have their own gas and electricity meters installed on their property.
To explain specifically in relation to electricity, for example, Schedule 7 of the Electricity Act 1989,ss.1(2) &(2A) outlines the following:
[(2) If the [authorised supplier] agrees, the meter may be provided by the customer [(who may provide a meter which belongs to him or is made available otherwise than in pursuance of arrangements made by the supplier)]; but otherwise it shall be provided by the [authorised supplier] [(who may provide a meter which belongs to him or to any person other than the customer)].
(2A) [An authorised supplier] may refuse to allow one of his customers to provide a meter only if there are reasonable grounds for his refusal.] [You can check the UK Association of Meter Operator’s websitefor more information.]
-

I'd guess reasonable grounds could be that they have no way of knowing that the meter supplied by the customer is untampered with, calibrated properly, safe to use etc etc.

Hence why it would have to be an approved meter, as said it can be done though. I only knew of this as I know someone has supplied there own meter.

Yes, but I guess it could be reasonable to not give permission to fit your own meter if they think you might in some way plan to use it to steal electricity.
And if that doesn't get through they can always let you fit it and then require it to be changed for one they supply due to a new company policy of requiring a certain brand or whatever of meter.

These companies will have much better lawyers than most of us can afford so they will win.

And nowhere does it allow you to interfere with or remove their meter, they will have to do that. And it's not a case of telling them you are doing it, but seeking their permission.

Probably true in what you say but it can be done and the regulations back this is up, that is all I was offering as I entered this topic. The lad I know has had his own meter in for a few years with no issues. The only thing he has been warned is that if it is deemed his meter needs replacing he will have to have what they supply as standard or be prepared to again purchase his own meter.

I think the only illegal aspect of it is cutting the seal without prior permission which would be classed as criminal damage presuming there was criminal intent... (And assuming there is evidence that security seals were in place on that meter to back up crim damage claims).
But their meter is on YOUR property and if you don't want it on your property you simply don't have to have it there. I'm not sure whether or not its an offence to interfere with a meter (as long as your only changing it for another) but you certainly can't dispose of their property without fair warning.
God the law is complex!

Their meter is on your property and you are quite right you don't have to have it there, but you have agreed to have it there by entering in to a contract to have them supply you with electricity.
You should ask them to remove it, not just tell them you are removing it and go ahead. If nothing else this kind of action is likely to insight a negative response.

These companies will have much better lawyers than most of us can afford so they will win.

Unfortunately one of life's realities. The one exception I know of was a friend of my brother. He was a branch warehouse manager at a (well known) high street store, boasting the best stock audits nationwide. For some reason, his manager 'had it in for him' making his workload impossible and after some time he was 'forced' to leave (constructive dismissal).
My brother went with him to court in London for moral support, as he was representing himself against 3 QC's. He won, and apparently had them 'lost for words' at times during the hearing! This guy was/is special though (no legal training) and handy for the odd letter/phone call when needed!

Reply to British Gas Smart meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net