Discuss British Gas Smart meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Maybe so for the average house, but it is still guess work! Most people have worked 9-5 for donkey's years, put a brew on in between Corrie etc!! It's not rocket science is it!
Depends on your definition of 'guesswork'. It's scientific load signature identification done with algorithms so I suppose you could call it scientific guesswork.

Seen a few smart meters, think it's got a SIM card in! There was a signal bar display on the front. It didn't do much when I ripped the seals of it and jammed a large screwdriver to pull the tails out....

Lol, that's going to be another issue entirely. Cut the seal on a smart meter and it will probably start telling tales to it's mom and dad. If they're gsm or RF networked you'll probably have fast response meter seal police to contend with who'll have evidence of what time you cut the seal and which pair of sidecutters you used. Should be good for a laugh, I can see some of the serial seal snippers (try saying that 10 times quickly after a few beers) getting caught red handed.

I wonder if they have profiles for MIG, TIG, plasma cutters and Stick welders also compressors and grinders various.

Can't say why I'm asking..

If they rely on mobile technology, they need to think again judging by the network around my patch. Awful doesn't come close and I'm in the sold called "rich green belt"

BG are the next bank charge/payday lending type carry-on,in my opinion...Massive ad campaign,together with nationwide carpet-bombing of " dangerous electrics" and "Non-viable continued boiler repairs..." targeting the age group that traditionally assumed BG were top-draw...if they are going to put anything in MY meter,it better be a card with "sorry" wrote on it...

yep...

its all designed to get the public in line for the `big push`....

since when did any organisation like that care about consumers...as if these things are being rolled out for the pure benefit of the public...all lies..

look at the way they train their new recruits to cheat money out of the unsuspecting.

looking after `your world?`

agreed. since when has any big organisation put their hands in their pockets for their customers best interest? supplying and installing smart-meters + ad campaign won't come cheap so, of course, the same people who increased prices above inflation would definately do this to help said customers. unfortunately, most will be blissfully ignorant!!!

...... Smart meters can deliver profiles of every house including what appliances and how many you're running, also they can tell the number of occupants in the house, whether you go to work during the day etc etc. ........

No they don't. How can they tell that I got a Bosch fridge, or a Hotpoint dishwasher? Yes they can see patterns of usage, and statistics folks can make certain assumptions, but to say it can tell how many live there etc??? that's pointless scaremongering

No they don't. How can they tell that I got a Bosch fridge, or a Hotpoint dishwasher? Yes they can see patterns of usage, and statistics folks can make certain assumptions, but to say it can tell how many live there etc??? that's pointless scaremongering

No its not
Usage profiling has already been demonstrated in the US

Why would anyone want or encourage a device that will have little to no benefit for the consumer and still permit that dubious device entry to their personal profile

yep...

its all designed to get the public in line for the `big push`....

since when did any organisation like that care about consumers...as if these things are being rolled out for the pure benefit of the public...all lies..

look at the way they train their new recruits to cheat money out of the unsuspecting.

looking after `our world`

edited that for ya bud!

No its not

Why would anyone want or encourage a device that will have little to no benefit for the consumer and still permit that dubious device entry to their personal profile
i even went to a customers house the other week....it was an unrelated electrical issue but whilst i was there she produced one of these `smart` thingys with a `pod`...and a CT ring + some sort of sender unit...and asked me if i would set it up for her...

i tried to warn her of the dangers of it but she just kept looking at it in a pious sort of a way....beaming on about how she was joining the `technical revolution`

eugh!!

i even went to a customers house the other week....it was an unrelated electrical issue but whilst i was there she produced one of these `smart` thingys with a `pod`...and a CT ring + some sort of sender unit...and asked me if i would set it up for her...

i tried to warn here of the dangers of it but she just kept looking at it in a pious sort of a way....beaming on about how she was joining the `technical revolution`

eugh!!
No doubt with glazed eyes and a orgasmic expectation of the wonderful world of intrusion

No its not

Des, I agree they do usage profiling - whether that's good or bad is a question. My point was that that they can't be specific about what appliances, or how many people live there. We use the dishwasher 6 times a day, and use the washing machine loads. Is that because 8 people live here, or because my wife writes cookery books and 2 kids play rugby?

Reply to British Gas Smart meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net