Discuss Calculating volt drop, cable selection and mcb selection on an 3kw motor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

another..

An upstairs lighting circuit is wired in thermoplastic insulated and sheathed twin and CPC cable. The cable is buried within the fabric of the building. It is run with insulation surrounding it for a distance of 0.5m, although its total length is 30m. There are 8 x 230V GLS lights on the circuit, and the circuit is protected by a 5A BS 3036 fuse. If the ambient temperature is 30 degrees C and there is no grouping, determine an appropriate cable size.

i) Design current
ii) Rating of protective device
iii) Current-carrying capacity of the cable
iv) Volt drop within the cable

I have some maximum demand questions ready and waiting too..

many many many thanks for taking the time to teach a bit mate. My tutors are known for being ...er...****e...

Hence the reason for seekin help.

Any more q's would be much apprieciated ( around all the subjects) :) ....Thanks again

now thats thrown me....Do i consider the cable to be in insulation ?
Do i need to confirm the protective device rating if it is given ? (check it maybe ? )

Spot on ;)

Hopefully you would have had a correction rating of 0.5 for Ci, giving you a current-carrying capacity of 7A = 1.0mm / 15Amp

I had 4.62V, but that's because I rounded some of my figures up.

Last edited:
I want to give you one last question on cable selection (to allow for 400V) then we can do some maximum demand/diversity and adiabatics (sizing of protective conductor) :p

A 25kW, 400 V three-phase heater is wired in thermoplastic sheathed MICC cable fixed to horizontal perforated cable tray. The circuit is run with two other circuits and the maximum permitted volt drop is 6 V. The length of run is 28m and the heater is protected by a BS EN 60898 Type B triple pole circuit-breaker. The ambient temperature is 35 degrees C.

i) Design current
ii) Rating of protective device
iii) Current-carrying capacity of the cable
iv) Volt drop within the cable

Spot on

Selecting cable too soon.. will waste time in your exam :)

You've selected the correct factors etc, so if you put these workings down you would get a good quantity of the mark. However one thing you need to consider is the potential of overload.
The question reads 'heating load', not 'load' or 'sockets'. Because of this we can assume that the heater is of a fixed rating and so overload won't occur.
This therefore means that instead of using (In) divided by the correction factors, we could instead use (Ib).
It also means that the Cc factor of 0.725 (due to the BS3036 fuse) can also be omitted from the formula.

So the formula can be put down as:

It= Ib/(CaxCg)

= 13A/(0.80x1.03) = 15.7A

So from table 4D2A Column 6 we can pick a tabulated current-carrying capacity = 1.5mm carries 19.5A
Much respect to you Widdler for putting so much time and effort in. One very small point which doesn't affect the outcome at all. The question said
buried within the building material of the installation
So wouldn't that mean ref method B [42 from table 4A2?] not ref method C, so table 4D2A column 4 = 1.5mm² carries 16.5A

or am i wrong ?:)

Last edited by a moderator:
how the hell do i find a list of cb's/ select them from the OSG ????????? ...or have i just overworked my brain ????????? lol

Off the top of my head i don't think there is a list in the OSG - i always use appendix 3 of BS7671.

edit - oops table 7.1 seems to show them

Last edited by a moderator:
that q has really baffled me....Is the MCB ratings differnet when talking about 400v/ triple pole ? if so how do i find out which type to use and therefore do the resulting equations become affected ?

Much respect to you Widdler for putting so much time and effort in. One very small point which doesn't affect the outcome at all. The question said
So wouldn't that mean ref method B [42 from table 4A2?] not ref method C, so table 4D2A column 4 = 1.5mm² carries 16.5A

or am i wrong ?:)

Selected reference method was C (No. 57).

In questions where it states within building materials, it refers to direct in masonry. :)
It's all down to interpretation of reference methods, the syllabus I use have in this example gone with the above. But your opinion of reference method B can also be justified.
It's one of the biggest debates I have with my guys.

that q has really baffled me....Is the MCB ratings differnet when talking about 400v/ triple pole ? if so how do i find out which type to use and therefore do the resulting equations become affected ?

The question is answered with the exact same approach and formula bar one. The design current (Ib).

With Three phase (400V), we use the following formula:

Ib =
Power (P)
√3xUL

Selected reference method was C (No. 57).

In questions where it states within building materials, it refers to direct in masonry. :)
It's all down to interpretation of reference methods, the syllabus I use have in this example gone with the above. But your opinion of reference method B can also be justified.
It's one of the biggest debates I have with my guys.

Cheers for the reply, on reflection 57 is probs a better fit :)

I suppose we all have to carry our thermal resistivity meter in our kit as well ;)

Thanks for keeping my brain ticking over!

The question is answered with the exact same approach and formula bar one. The design current (Ib).

With Three phase (400V), we use the following formula:

Ib =
Power (P)

√3xUL
images

Not sure what other posters think but Widdler deserves that for this thread, it was good of you to help that lad out the way you did. Top man

Reply to Calculating volt drop, cable selection and mcb selection on an 3kw motor in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net