Discuss Calculation of ZS in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rapier

Evening guys

When calculting ZS u us the formula ze + r1 + r2

So i have 0.18+0.60+1.00 = 1.78

But i also have my r1+r2 result which is 0.40

0.18+0.40 = 0.58

so which 1 do i use then?

Cheers guys. :)

Evening guys

When calculting ZS u us the formula ze + r1 + r2

So i have 0.18+0.60+1.00 = 1.78

But i also have my r1+r2 result which is 0.40

0.18+0.40 = 0.58

so which 1 do i use then?

Cheers guys. :)

So where does the 0.60 and the 1.00 come into it? I take it 0.18 is your Ze? If your (R1+R2) is 0.40 then these are added together to give 0.58 as you said. How have you come up with the other result of 1.78?

You could measure it aswell

then that is zs
ze= 0.18
r1= 0.60
r2 = 1.00
so zs = ze + r1+r2 zs = 0.18+0.60+1.0 = 1.78
you are using r1+r2/4 value which is the outlet expected readings which is 0.60 + 1.0 / 4 = 0.40

Last edited by a moderator:
so zs = ze + r1+r2 zs = 0.18+0.60+1.0 = 1.78
you are using r1+r2/4 value which is the outlet expected readings which is 0.60 + 1.0 / 4 = 0.40

So 1.78 is the answer.

what are u tryin to say about the last bit sorry mate.

So what happens if u have a lighting circuit, u dont have your r1 + r2 measurements as you wouldnt find these readings as its not on a ring.

But u would just get ur (R1+R2) by joining the live and earth together. So how would u find the measurement of zs by calculating.

you join live to earth at the board and go to the last light and take the reading across live earth and hey presto r1+r2
for the ring were you testing opposite live and earth together or testing the live and the earth and adding them together

link line and cpc at db reading at last outlet is r1+r2

or to calculate add yor ze to tabluated figures for resistence of cable from onsite guide table 9a page 166
example a 2.5/1.5 cable has a resis of 19.51 ohms per metre so for say 15 metres:
19.51 x15 /1000 = a r1+r2 of 0.29 ohms

There are other factors, ambient temp, max op temp to take into account. Please buy GN3. It looks really boring and can be but it's full of interesting stuff (unlike some of us!!)

So 1.78 is the answer.

what are u tryin to say about the last bit sorry mate.

So what happens if u have a lighting circuit, u dont have your r1 + r2 measurements as you wouldnt find these readings as its not on a ring.

But u would just get ur (R1+R2) by joining the live and earth together. So how would u find the measurement of zs by calculating.

I think you (and maybe a few others) are getting a little confused here.

Zs=Ze + (R1+R2) NOT Zs=Ze + (r1 + r2).

As you have said, the latter only applies to RFC's.

Hi all

common everbody

ZS=Ze+(R1+R2) then mulitplied by the correction factor for max operating temperature of the cable

onsite guide table 9c

page 168

cheers

Rapier is confusing his r1+r2 with R1+R2.
He should also know that R1+R2=(r1+r2)/4 for a ring.

Have a look at the OSG under testing, esp page 82.

you join live to earth at the board and go to the last light and take the reading across live earth and hey presto r1+r2
for the ring were you testing opposite live and earth together or testing the live and the earth and adding them together

And make damn sure you take out the neutral out at the CU (and earth it) too else you might get a little bit of a surprise , especially if you have flourescents on the lighting circuit! :eek:

I think you (and maybe a few others) are getting a little confused here.

Zs=Ze + (R1+R2) NOT Zs=Ze + (r1 + r2).

As you have said, the latter only applies to RFC's.

hi there

Jason i agree with you but you ALL MUST CONSIDER maximum ZS no one here has mentioned this !!!

It is not what zS is

it is what value is used for ie to make sure that the protective device operates within the correct disconnection time

Does the zs value EXCEED that of the values given in tables 41.1 to 41.5 etc of the regulations

then it is not a safe circuit etc

hope this helps a bit

cheers all

hI Guys,

Interesting listening to our conversation as i am just learning myself and trying to get my head around testing .

When ou do the testing on a lighting circuit and you have to take your R1 and R2 reading at the last ceiling rose , is this because the resistance there should be at it highest?.

Secondandly, once you have taken that reading, do you have to test at every switch and ceiling rose after, that if so , where would you put your leads in the two way , and the intermidiate switch as there are three and four points .

As i remember from test board at college we did R1and R2 reading at rose , flicked switches for polarity, then we had to go in each switch as well , this is what im confused about , was this for continuity between earth and live.

Ive loads to ask as iam confused ,

Thanks for your patience,

Snowplough

Hi guys am I right in saying that if the circuit in question is protected by rcd/rcbo then there is no need for the multiplier. (table 41.5) really unsure about this. Any help would be good I've got my 2394 written tomorrow I've pasted the practical and multiple choice.

Not sure what you mean.

If you mean the 0.8 correction factor for the temperature, it would hardly apply to 1,666Ω - would 1,333Ω be satisfactory for a circuit?

If you mean an RCD/RCBO means you can ignore the maximum Zs for the overcurrent protection device then - no, you are not right.

No I know you still have to check zs readings with those set in bs7671 I know that rot is 80% of regs readings. I'm talking about if cables are bunched or if temp is not 20degrees sorry for being unclear but iPhones and long explanations are a real bad mix

No I know you still have to check zs readings with those set in bs7671 I know that rot is 80% of regs readings. I'm talking about if cables are bunched or if temp is not 20degrees sorry for being unclear but iPhones and long explanations are a real bad mix

So is digging up threads that are 4+ years old!!

Reply to Calculation of ZS in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock