Search the forum,

Discuss Cctv in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

2na

-
Reaction score
We have recently installed an ESP CCTV system in one of our schools. This is the first time we have used ESP, so the rep visited us and showed us the setup, and all parties were equally impressed.

Install went fine, 12 cameras inside and 13 outside. All ran in cat 5 with balums used to connect cameras. turned on and focused the cameras, all working fine. When darkness fel, the problems began....

some me of the cameras turned off. Some went from a decent picture to bright white. Some just went to a terribly fuzzy picture. After extensively testing, it seems that the problem is down to volt drop and the fact the night vision means there is not enough power, so the cameras fail.

we rang the technical department, who didn't seem to have a clue, and asked for them to send us a 24v power supply. Their reply, "we don't make one yet, you may have to source one yourself."

im wondering if anyone has had this problem before, and what they did to solve it. Also, has anyone used ESP in larger installations, and what are their thoughts on the products?

Esp are basic diy kits....not really professional. Using baluns on cat5 means the system is analogue and low picture quality. Rule of thumb, would be 1 amp per camera, to run smoothly, so 25 cameras would be 25 amps... Which is quiet hefty. suggest 5 x 5 amp powers supplies, installed so each power supply is no more than 100m away from any camera it is supplying.

Are you running the power down the cat 5 if so this is not a good idea try and keep the power supplys close to the cameras, if you have used cat 5 and you have spare cores use them to double up the cable size this may help .

There is only a few mA`s down the cat5 Flanders, Baluns are used to convert coax video signals into twisted pair cat5. This just gives longer runs and a 3 cameras on one cat5......power supplies are usually wired near to each camera ....knowing ESP, they are small plug in type psu`s.

The designer from ESP designed the whole system. I thought ESP was more for diy, but they insisted they had been used in other schools in the area. Should have gone with my gut feeling and installed something else, but even my wholesaler was recommending them.

im thinking of replacing the whole installation, any ideas on a good system to use tazz?

no need to replace all of it, just upgrade the power situation.
24v 10amp power supply up front, with small 24v to 12v regulators close to the cameras.

24 amp dc cable would need to be quite hefty, minimum of 4mm on a short run, to well over 10mm on a 40m run.
a bit impractical for cctv. Separate psu`s will be the best way, keeping the current down to a manageable size.

What spec was the Rep asked to design to? If you requested night vision and he/she priced for this, then the installed system is not fit for purpose and should be modified to meet the spec (at no extra cost to you) or removed and your money returned!

Last edited:
There is only a few mA`s down the cat5 Flanders, Baluns are used to convert coax video signals into twisted pair cat5. This just gives longer runs and a 3 cameras on one cat5......power supplies are usually wired near to each camera ....knowing ESP, they are small plug in type psu`s.
It ok taz i know this i was just checking the op was not using the cat 5 for the power

ESP is diy gear. We've just installed a 20 camera Hikvision IP system. brilliant, perfect quality picture, steel construction, very easy to setup.

Minimum OSD, no detection zoom, thing to remember is can you make out a number plate at any distance from 10-50m....if the answer is no...you have failed

Last edited:
Night devil cameras are pretty good on price per performance....good cost around £150 per hd camera onboard OSD to adjust levels, auto detection to zoom when activated (good feature for number plate & face recon) available in HD sdi or ip.
Alien hybid are good systems with great features, I like the alien dvrs, very easy to setup

Reply to Cctv in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back