Discuss Charging user for socket in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Calvin0

Does anyone know of a way to replace standard 13a double plug sockets with a version that would connect to a user and charge the user’s account? The sockets are in a communal area and could be used for various activities including car charging or vacuuming etc? I’ve seen pubs use a key fob to recognise an individual using RFID (presumably) and so recognising the individual transactions. Could that work with a plug socket along with an app that would charge for the transaction?

I’ve never actually seen a socket with this capability although such a product could exist. This is could easily be achieved with a system or your choice (presumably addressable) and a timed relay feeding a socket etc, depends though how in depth you want the analysis and how many points you’re controlling.

How many sockets/meters do you want to install?
If it is just one 1 would take the supply to the socket through a coin operated meter first, then to the socket outlet.
I dont know of a complete system for this application for a larger system but I would say converting a similar system using a relay to control power to the socket outlets would be the best choice if it was larger/more complicated system

Needs to be pretty hefty equipment for a car charger.

You could put in a proper EV charger, one that already has a user payment payment option.

Label up the socket telling people not to use it for vehicle charging.

Standard double sockets are not really designed for a constant very high load such as an electric vehicle.

What would be the load through a 13A plug for a car? 3kW or something?

Imaging a kettle boiling for hours rather than minutes.

Thanks for the responses.
It is for in the communal parking area of a block of flats, where there are designated spaces for the flats. There are about 8-10 double sockets on the wall. They are paid for out of the communal service charge as they aren’t associated with any of the flats.
At the moment they are used for vacuuming and the like and have labels on saying not to be used for car charging. The Mgmt Co aren’t keen on spending anything to install proper EV points and they would be difficult unless they were installed for all the spaces.
So we’re looking for a solution that doesn’t land the Mgmt Co with the bill for the electricity used, but also doesn’t cost a lot to install.

If there’s already a sign to tell residents not use them for chargers… get someone to go out at 2am with a pair of pliers.

Or set a timer on the socket circuit? Might be simpler and cheaper than RFID. Only works during day… Or derate the breaker size so it will trip if someone plugs in a large load like a car.

A custom version of this sort of thing (well, a series of them!) might do it:

or maybe talk to these guys:

Anything other than MID approved metering could conceivably lead to legal challenges/refusal to pay landlord from residents

I suspect such investment will have a rather long payback period! - or maybe not? The Metro meter at about £60 could be a good basis for something.

Last edited:
If some residents have electric cars, they are going to need to charge them, so I don't think the answer is to fit means of disabling charging! Instead, some reliable means of making those who use the power pay for it is needed. And you'd have to make it applicable to all the accessible communal sockets, otherwise someone is just going to run a long extension lead from a socket that isn't billing the usage.

If some residents have electric cars, they are going to need to charge them, so I don't think the answer is to fit means of disabling charging! Instead, some reliable means of making those who use the power pay for it is needed. And you'd have to make it applicable to all the accessible communal sockets, otherwise someone is just going to run a long extension lead from a socket that isn't billing the usage.
Spot on - that’s exactly the challenge we are facing. Some of the residents are elderly and aren’t going to have EVs so see no need to install the infrastructure but others recognise the need is coming.

A custom version of this sort of thing (well, a series of them!) might do it:

or maybe talk to these guys:

Anything other than MID approved metering could conceivably lead to legal challenges/refusal to pay landlord from residents

I suspect such investment will have a rather long payback period! - or maybe not? The Metro meter at about £60 could be a good basis for something.
Thanks for the ideas- that metro meter looks like it would work if there was a standard plug rather than the caravan style plug. Will investigate with them.

Thanks for the ideas- that metro meter looks like it would work if there was a standard plug rather than the caravan style plug. Will investigate with them.
If the landlord was content to bill tenants retrospectively on the basis of their usage, this might be a possible solution?

Not particularly secure, but the 13A outlet seems to have a lockable cover, so a socket per resident, each with a padlock, might work if there aren't vandals amongst them!

Reply to Charging user for socket in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net