Discuss Check Understanding; Minimum alarm requirements for private rent sector in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just want someone to sanity check me here; my understanding is that battery powered detectors are not permitted in the private rent sector - they're fine if you own/live in the property yourself but the minute it becomes private rent then the minimum requirement is LD3 - Mains Powered (with or without battery backup).

Detector types, locations and minimum quantities are also stipulated e.g heat detector in kitchen, optical/ion on each floor as minimum.

Currently in a private rent property, managed by a letting agent and the detectors are battery powered only with no heat detector in the kitchen.

Is there anything anywhere that would support a tenant request to bring alarms up to current code requirements e.g not battery operated as sole source of power?

TL;DR
Battery powered detectors in private rent property; against current guidance, after supporting evidence to present to letting agent that detectors MUST be upgraded.
LD3 is the Category. It is the Grade which is relevant to your question. Grade D1 is mains powered with integral rechargeable battery and D2 is mains with replaceable battery.

(Here the minimum requirement for category is LD2 rather than LD3 - not sure whether England still permits LD3 or not.) And LD2 to I.S. 3218 is even more onerous requiring smokes in every bedroom as well.

LD3 is the Category. It is the Grade which is relevant to your question. Grade D1 is mains powered with integral rechargeable battery and D2 is mains with replaceable battery.

(Here the minimum requirement for category is LD2 rather than LD3 - not sure whether England still permits LD3 or not.) And LD2 to I.S. 3218 is even more onerous requiring smokes in every bedroom as well.

Sorry meant Grade D3 (Mains no backup) and Category LD3

If they are battery operated only it will be Grade F1 or Grade F2. The difference being F2 has user replacement batteries, F1 is sealed battery units.

Just want someone to sanity check me here; my understanding is that battery powered detectors are not permitted in the private rent sector - they're fine if you own/live in the property yourself but the minute it becomes private rent then the minimum requirement is LD3 - Mains Powered (with or without battery backup).

Detector types, locations and minimum quantities are also stipulated e.g heat detector in kitchen, optical/ion on each floor as minimum.

Currently in a private rent property, managed by a letting agent and the detectors are battery powered only with no heat detector in the kitchen.

Is there anything anywhere that would support a tenant request to bring alarms up to current code requirements e.g not battery operated as sole source of power?

Your landlord has complied with the minimum requirements, if you want anything more then you would have to get their permission to install it yourself.

Reply to Check Understanding; Minimum alarm requirements for private rent sector in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net