Discuss Confirmation and advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys
Can someone confirm if I'm correct in saying that an old property ie a rewire rather than a new build socket outlets and switches don't need to be fitted at 1200mm and 450mm ??
Also if running all lighting supplies and switch cables back to one point ie- to loft hatch area what's everyone using for termination boxes is it wago and maintenance free box with glands for cable entry??
Many thanks

Yes to both.

I recommend 450mm and 1200mm, but if client doesn’t want that. Ok.

I always do wiring centres with wagons. Really enjoy doing them. It’s much easier than bunging loads of cables and conductors in a light point or switch.

Cheers Pete
Yes I prefer that especially when customers wanting fancy lights fitting rather than standard ceiling rose.
Where do you normally put yours for the down stairs lighting circuits ?

Cheers Pete
Yes I prefer that especially when customers wanting fancy lights fitting rather than standard ceiling rose.
Where do you normally put yours for the down stairs lighting circuits ?
I don’t on downstairs.
I do the loop in system but to the switches with deep back boxes 35mm as it’s the light fittings that are designed without thinking of practical installation these days.

There are some sh** lights out there.

Hi guys
Can someone confirm if I'm correct in saying that an old property ie a rewire rather than a new build socket outlets and switches don't need to be fitted at 1200mm and 450mm ??
Also if running all lighting supplies and switch cables back to one point ie- to loft hatch area what's everyone using for termination boxes is it wago and maintenance free box with glands for cable entry??
Many thanks
Depends how big the enclosure us and how many cables, personally a 6" BY 6" box screwed to a platform between joists, cables neatly clipped and Wagos connecting the connections inside the box.
But sadly all that hoo haa has disappeared, now it's throw it in a Wago box and bury it in the rubbish under the floor somewhere where nobody can find it, until a Plumber sets fire to it.
Old fashioned, dated, not taught at Electrical Trainee school, to time consuming, bash it in and bury it. Rant over.

any electrician over the age of 50 will know that sockets below 400mm are a pain in the back and knees. the 450mm height is a good advance. as for switches at 1200mm, that's OK for wheelchair users and dwarfs, otherwise i tend to fit switches at a sensible height away from ankle snappers.

I still automatically mark my switches at 1350mm... the old 53 inches.... Then have to check what the rest of them are in the house.
Sockets at 300mm.... I'm not as old as the rest of them on here that cant bend down

If its a rewire, there's no point changing heights as you'll have boxes in the right places already. Only additional ones to put in, and they should be the same as existing.

I still automatically mark my switches at 1350mm... the old 53 inches.... Then have to check what the rest of them are in the house.
Sockets at 300mm.... I'm not as old as the rest of them on here that cant bend down

If its a rewire, there's no point changing heights as you'll have boxes in the right places already. Only additional ones to put in, and they should be the same as existing.
You will be though, sure as eggs are eggs Mate, happens to us all if we are lucky to live that long, believe me I know, as does Tel.

Reply to Confirmation and advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net