Currently reading:
CU Change. How Much?

Discuss CU Change. How Much? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markythespark

Hi all,

Just wondering what the difference in cost is for a consumer unit change (main switch split load 2 rcds 10 ways) is around the country? Just thought it would be interesting to see the differences that we all charge.

me-- round about the £350 to £400 mark. more if it's a pain due to location and/or cables too short. allow extra for earthing/bonding if needed and rectification of any faults.

Last edited:
I forgot to say that I am Dorset and will be going back out on my own very soon and was looking to charge around £280, reckon thats a little cheap. Mark

I forgot to say that I am Dorset and will be going back out on my own very soon and was looking to charge around £280, reckon thats a little cheap. Mark
How on earth are you meant to make a profit on this you must be a godsend to customers who do not want to pay the full price I always say to the customer if you want bish/bosh then you dont need me remember working on your own means you have running costs and no holiday pay so you need to build this in with the price if you dont then you are only cheating yourself. Mind if I had a pound for every customer who said yea but you can buy the board at Screwfix for ??? then I say well get screwfix to install it/test it/fix any problems found/ sign it off and guarantee it for a year and compensate you for your 2 hour plus visit to survey it

Hey Old timer I agree with you. How much do you suggest I charge? I have been employed for the last 6 years and I am putting the feelers out. Any suggestions on cost

Sorry I dont give out prices but I do pay attention to customer standards / focus plus quality work by recommendation in other words why do 5 jobs for £100 when you can do 2 . Works for me

I charge around £350 for a 10 way C.U. bonding etc on top. Prior to installation I complete a survey and give them a copy of the best practice guide and explains the problems associated with RCD’s.

Ian

Yep £350-£400 sounds about right down here in Exeter...

Saying that when I started out on my own about a year ago was charging slightly less as I needed the work. I did do an 8 way one back then for £270, not any more though...

I try an aim for about £40/circuit (min charge of £320, so 6 way CU would still be £320)

and explains the problems associated with RCD’s.

Very important this, fully explain and also it's a good idea to put a clause on your estimate covering yourself.

Last edited:
you would estimate it would take a day for the CU change and the test + paperwork so labour would be whatever you charge for a day.
materials -
duel RCD board with MCB's, I have a set price for
Straight board with RCBO's another price for,
I offer the cust either option and expain the advantages / disadvantages of each one
If your on fixed price allow for rcbo's, then talk the cust into the cheaper duel rcd option thus increasing your margins,
if its time and materials you'll make more of a percentage mark up on RCBO's so push to fit this.
Either option meet current regulation, it then boils down to your salesmanship and profit margins
bonding is on top and any faults are extra

hope this helps you

Last edited by a moderator:

That sounds cheap for that part of the world. I have quoted £3750 for a rewire in Yeovil, cos the mate of a mate who got 2 local quotes in the area were more than a grand dearer than i quoted, and its only a 3 bed semi. Up here it would have been around the 2 and half grand mark, 3 at the very most.

Cheers.........Howard

B and Q selling 10way board fully loaded £50 with the vat. Six hours to test/replace. Good profit if you can get it at £300+. Shame about the bad back from the confined space!

think about it , you have to cover your costs so hi integrety board £79 plus RCBO's say 2 £70 ,£149 , days labour £200 so £379.00 , but in this you have to cover you insurance , van running costs , trade body , mist things screws etc , notification charges , meter calibration , WAT on tools etc even spread ove the whole year your not left with huge profits on a board change .. unless you on rouge traders then it will be £1,100.49

Thanks for all the points on the above. I recently did one for £150...! Was for some mates but won't be doing that again. B&Q do seem to have some good prices on boards... can't understand it really as the cable seems bloody expensive there...

I believe these charges are too low. I doubt many can cover the FULL cost of working etc . It costs a fortune to even be able to accept work (tools, training , van etc )

You will never retire at these charges!

Thanks to getting the above information from the forum members I turned down some work today. They wanted a board change, testing, 3 additional circuits installing, sockets moving and lighting wiring rerouting for 300 quid. I just said no even though it felt bad.

good for you! maybe you'll get the rectification work after the eastern europeans botch the job

Doing one next week for £385 - chap was quoted £600 by others - really easy one - nice place in the garage plenty on the wires - was thinking I might be overcharging but there's quite a bit to test including a smalls cu for the outside stuff

about right at £385. never go in too low, you might still find a problem or 3

I agree with these prices. Did one for £220 not long ago and never again. That should have just covered the labour. never the less I do get paid holidays.

doin one wednesday for £300 at a knock down cost due to man runs mini skip business so get a skip bit dosh and get rid of all my rubbish
good a

Just been to a job today where there was a new consumer unit and although i fixed the problem and a couple of others for nothing ie show good faith I was amazed at the poor standard of the work me thinks the householder either did it or the guy with the building company was a builder not a spark. Yes I got paid but pointed out a few problems finishing off with please do not ask me to sign this off and if you want it checked it will cost £??? for a PIR and you will have to pay to rectify any problems found hard I know but you need to stick to a standard because if you dont you will find you are working for £6 an hour with all this responsability

Last edited by a moderator:
We all have to stop blaming the customers. Far too many people are going in too cheap and ruining it for everyone. Also i think that verbal quotes are a waste of time. If your going to do it cheap. make a point of saying it covers a basic install without any other work.
I have been in the "building game" for 20 years , mainly top end restoration etc. I think the biggest issue is "lack of paperwork" so the customer has the chance to "imagine" far too much . Get it all down in writing and stick to it. if your Name is "Oxfam" then do it for free etc . me..... I am here to earn money , not feel my trousers are getting pulled down at each job

Last edited:
yep - someone told me once if you do an invoice and put one line on it the person paying will think it was expensive - but if you put 20 lines on it they think they're getting a bargain!

Reply to CU Change. How Much? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock