Currently reading:
CU Change. How Much?

Discuss CU Change. How Much? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Full quotes and receipts always given. The power of paperwork in a argument is amazing. And in court it works a treat !
Also customers have no respect for "cash in hand" people . they might pay you and be happy, but you will never get their respect .

. Also i think . I think the biggest issue is "lack of paperwork" so the customer has the chance to "imagine" far too much . Get it all down in writing and stick to it. if your Name is "Oxfam" then do it for free etc . me..... I am here to earn money , not feel my trousers are getting pulled down at each job

cannot agree more with this ! - I recently did a job for someone I know, complete rewire 3 bed, originally I gave him an estimate for the total cost. He then rang me and negotiated a slightly lower amount, (it was before xmas not much on) so agreed this to win the job.
In effect my 'estimate' then turned into a fixed price based on a basic estimated amount of time without the allowance for contingencies/ delays etc
Ive done the job but am now being called back to do this that and the other including refastening socket/switch fronts the plasterers have left dangling and covered in crap,
tomorrow I intend to finish and this will be my third visit at this guys request

totally feel like my pants have been pulled down :(

another example is another rewire ive started , initial estimate for time and materials, come to do job,glued carpets in most areas (with industrial glue judging how hard they were to rip up) random large areas of nailed chipboard in hallways,rolls of sound insulation between floors and umpteen noggins between joists making rodding hard sometimes impossible ,not to mention its a tip with furnature and junk everywhere, the external stone walls of the cottage are nuclear bomb proof they are that hard - I can see the final bill being a fair bit bigger than initial estimate due to all these delays (which I have listed incase it gets funny when the bill goes in) - I agree, at least with industrial and to an extent commercial work there are contracts and plans with a spec showing what is expected and where your responsibility ends.

domestic house bashing = stress

Last edited by a moderator:
domestic house bashing = stress
Not a pop at you, but its crap work for the semi skilled, that's why so many people get into it.

Glad I'm back into commercial/industrial, not the best money in the world but a pleasure to be back amongst Qualified Electricians lol

I couldnt agree more - house bashing is dirty horrible work at times, when you start off as self employed you naturally find it easier to find work in this market, as I did, I am getting more and more commercial stuff wich is cleaner and better work.
There are a lot of under qualified people working as sparks in houses, I myself wouldnt consider myself underqualified, I have an approved JIB card, am 2391, 2330, 17th edition and biulding regs qualified, I could go and work for a JIB company next week, if I want to remain self employed and be my own boss then I have to take the work I can get and at the min a big percentage of that is rewiring houses.

I used to enjoy it when I worked for a firm that house bashed as you go home at 4.30 and switch off, now ive gone it alone I like domestic less and less, partly due to the fact that ive done it for so long now and partly due to the fact that you get the phonecalls to come and look at the security light youve installed as 'its faulty' only to find mr jones has fiddled and altered the time settings and lux settings at bottom, or the customers you can never please
sorry rant over :) - itrs been another long and stressfull day - with another on the cards tomorrow by the look :/

AS ABOVE!!!!!

customer not happy EVER!!! got one tomorrow! my outside light keeps going off!!! HMMM let me think ! i did tell you were you wanted it was not good idea!! next to a main road and footpath!

Domestic bliss for me !! The idea of site work and the ---- conversations about football and Jordan etc would have me jumping off the roof. And tools been stolen etc !

I prefer what i have, nice little niche top end interior work , mainly grade 1 listed etc .

Despite many years i still insist on giving full quotes to anyone. friends included (even more so !)

I might bite my lip a little ... but no way am i working for free. The moment they lose respect for you you have had it. Stand proud and earn a Living . I have walked off jobs just because the customer gets all "I know better" .The other RULE i have is i only deal with one person. Getting stuck between a couple is reserved for **** only !

. I have walked off jobs just because the customer gets all "I know better" .

Hot on your heels with this one - still can't get my head round how people with no knowledge manage to do that!

and you're right about the tools - why is it all ways that sharp stanley knife - lost two this last month - aaaaarrrrrrggggg

Depends where your coming from with your judgments on quotations and cash in hand. If you are looking for a full time income from your domestic work you are going to price differently to somebody who could be doing the work for a bit of extra income or overtime. If you are new into the market, lets say a five day wonder, you need to acquire experience and quote accordingly. There are many different scenarios.

Called back to a job tonight, lights and fan in the bathroom are not coming on. I found the pull cord pulled out of the dimmer. Thats my fault then!!!!!!!!!!

Domestic bliss for me !!

If your good at what you do and can hold off all the "jump on the band wagon merchants" then fair play, but in the end, the domestic scene will get worse.

Don't know if you was referring to my post about working for free, but if you was, I'm trapping money with no debt, so those who are paying the banks all that interest on their loans, mortgages, credit cards etc are more than likely working for a lot less than me. Whats in my pocket at the end of the week bar general bills, is all mine. Apologies if you was not referencing me as free.

This thread has come up at a good time for a rant.
Called Friday from a referral off a plumber but customer doesn't speak English so everything is translated through their chippy.
Turned up for a consumer unit change, customer bought all materials a Wylex RCD split board 10 way CU with the right MCBs ok fine.
Chippy said "How much?"
Me "well it's £150 a day to change, £150 a day to certify and test" (also did a few little bits like socket cover changes and light changes)
"Can't you do Amy better?"
"nope. Your more than welcome to get a few more quotes and get back to me. "
"no that's fine you can start now and any materials needed we'll buy just let us know. " (don't always agree with it but hey!)
So two days fit CU and discover random spurs and circuits, last one a mess.
6 hours to test 7 circuits fully plus any investigation to funny readings than two hours doing last little fixes.
Comes to get paid and the Chippy says to me £250 the customer believed you were just wasting time to justify your money and your greedy. It shouldn't take that long test, and why do u have to test all circuits anyway? You only changed CU.
Couldnt believe this. Said to him if you wanted to pay £250 should have gone elsewhere. You knew my rates and nothing's been added besides do u know how to test?? Stuck to my gins and said if you don't pay me £50 extra I'm locking off and it won't cone back on until I'm paid.
After an hour of arguing I walked at £290 losing a tenner but angry. He even gave it the old "So now it's certified your liable for any faults that appear in a month"?? Errr no I'm liable for the CU change and that is that because all my test results show perfect.
So angry can't believe they have the cheek to treat us like this. And these are the same people who get a cowboy to do the initial work and than ask us to come in to sign it off because the last guy wasn't compliant......jog on!!

And how the hell are you suppose to guarantee stuff you never supplied? This is another area where i get "worried" Ok, My clients provide the lights etc (Just as well as the last 3 cost £24k !! Antiques) I supply what ever i need . I do not over charge for supplying About 20%.

I also try to work within a "circle" of customers. That way they tend to feel secure as thy know about me. All others get "filtered"

stress costs far more than money

And how the hell are you suppose to guarantee stuff you never supplied? This is another area where i get "worried" Ok, My clients provide the lights etc (Just as well as the last 3 cost £24k !! Antiques) I supply what ever i need . I do not over charge for supplying About 20%.

I also try to work within a "circle" of customers. That way they tend to feel secure as thy know about me. All others get "filtered"

stress costs far more than money

Well said Luke. These guys were so tight they didn't wouldn't even pay £2.40 let alone 24k for a new light.

I am still only a third year apprentice for a big firm, so my whole week is taken up by college and working the other 4 for the company as a apprentice.

However, say when I gained more experience and gain more confidence, and I wanted to do SMALL private jobs for family friends ect.

For example say they wanted a board change, which I could do on the weekend to earn extra cash, I would be able to test the circuits to see if it was safe, but would it need to be signed off and have a cert by someone who is fully qual or not?

I am still only a third year apprentice for a big firm, so my whole week is taken up by college and working the other 4 for the company as a apprentice.

However, say when I gained more experience and gain more confidence, and I wanted to do SMALL private jobs for family friends ect.

For example say they wanted a board change, which I could do on the weekend to earn extra cash, I would be able to test the circuits to see if it was safe, but would it need to be signed off and have a cert by someone who is fully qual or not?

You yourself Joe would have to a member of a competent persons scheme such as Elecsa, napit, NICEIC. You could test and certify that it's compliant with the regs.
You wouldn't be able to get another person to certify your work unless they have been standing over your shoulder watching your work.
This applies to Electrical Installation certificate for new installations, alterations and additions covered under Part P, you'd be ok to issue Minor work Certificates. :)

Reply to CU Change. How Much? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock