Discuss How to change this light bulb? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having some trouble working out how to change this lightbulb. Videos of similar units suggest you should be able to unscrew the white rim - it does turn but just rotates and won’t come loose (it's very, very tight). I’ve included a pic of the bulk of the unit wedged in the ceiling - do you think it could be a closed unit and needs wholesale replacement?

Keen to hear your thoughts!

Attachments

• Light 1.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Light 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 30
Hi all,

Having some trouble working out how to change this lightbulb. Videos of similar units suggest you should be able to unscrew the white rim - it does turn but just rotates and won’t come loose (it's very, very tight). I’ve included a pic of the bulk of the unit wedged in the ceiling - do you think it could be a closed unit and needs wholesale replacement?

Keen to hear your thoughts!
Hi,
It could be its either been painted so making it tight to unscrew or it could be jus need to clip off rather than unscrew, always a pain when limited cable length, and above you. Good luck

That looks as if it could be a GU10 led bulb Inside.
Is the aperture in the front plate big enough for the bulb to go through?
If so, could you just use one of these?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wolfcraft-wfc-5499000-gu10-lamp-removal-tool/6084K?

That looks as if it could be a GU10 led bulb Inside.
Is the aperture in the front plate big enough for the bulb to go through?
If so, could you just use one of these?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wolfcraft-wfc-5499000-gu10-lamp-removal-tool/6084K?
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately the aperture is completely sealed by glass - so the bulb isn’t accessible at all.

I'd have thought the Bezel should screw off with a quarter turn or similar, if this is just one light if it's not coming off you may have to replace. If there's another see if that has more play in the feed to it or try to see if the bezel comes of easier that the one you're currently trying to replace the lamp in?

We had these types in our house when it was new 16 years ago.

I think the heat of the halogen bulb made the thread difficult to screw off. Ours was a porcelain bezel, and metal fitting,

Even taking the fitting down out the ceiling and attacking it with plumbers grips wouldn't slacken it off.

Both have now been replaced with LED fittings, but needed to get an adaptor ring as the existing hole was too big.

Reply to How to change this light bulb? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net