Discuss Dimmable LED light fitting and switch still causes flickering in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mattthr

DIY
Reaction score
Recently moved into a new home and replaced the main light fitting in the sitting room. We replaced it with this dimmable LED fitting:

ENDON RUBENS 6LT SEMI FLUSH 79469 - Indoor | Ceiling Lights - https://www.leycroftlighting.co.uk/endon-rubens-6lt-semi-flush-79469?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4v2EBhCtARIsACan3nxJ0tKAQnqt4noe7I0xnm7tTwk-Xl6RuXjAd3FiHT_1iqSWbqgXiO0aAoYuEALw_wcB

Specification Lampholder E27 Lamp Type FILAMENT Max Wattage 40 Number Of Light Sources 6 Voltage 230
After wiring it up, the fitting worked but the lights flickered constantly. I read this was likely due to the dimmer switch itself not being compatible with an LED, so I replaced the switch with one of these:

LAP 1-Gang 2-Way LED Dimmer Switch White - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-1-gang-2-way-led-dimmer-switch-white/273cc

It still flickered, although less so: the flickering stopped when the power was turned up toward the top of the range on the dimmer.

A friend suggested that it might be the bulbs: we're using cheap dimmable LED filament bulbs which he said were often low quality and the LED strips in them didn't light uniformly. So I got (on receipt) a more expensive filament bulb and a 100w equivalent non-filament LED, both dimmable. The more expensive bulb still flickered, but the non-filament one appeared stable.

We'd really rather have the filament bulbs if at all possible, and we'd rather stick with the cheap ones, otherwise, the bulbs are going to end up costing more than the fitting! Is there anything else I can do or try to get stable lighting?

You could also try another dimmer switch.

it’s very hit and miss to get compatible lamps and dimmers even when they say led lamps are dimmable.

varilight is one I’ve fitted before no problems.

Check the lap dimmer switch instructions to see if it has adjustable settings. If so you may find one setting works better.
Plus one for varilight VPro. I can usually find a setting that works with these, and often works straight out the box.

Thanks. I went back to the shop I got the original dimmer from and they exchanged it for a cheaper Varilight switch that they recommended. It is indeed better than the previous one, but it's still not okay. Going to take it back today and ask for a V-Pro.

One thing that concerns me slightly is that this Varilight switch seems to still be quite bright on the dimmest setting - much brighter than the previous two switches. That is perhaps why it seems more stable: the flickering increased the more you turned down the light.

If I get a V-Pro, will it "work" by pushing up the amount of power to the light to a minimum where it doesn't flicker, but will still be very bright? Or will it be able to stabilise a low level of power to the light?

I'm confused. Thought it was sorted. But that post was by somebody else other than the OP.

The VPro has an adjustable minimum brightness setting. It also has 3 modes of operation, including leading edge, trailing edge and I can't remember the other one. It's a bit tricky to program, but if you follow the instructions carefully, you should be fine.

Reply to Dimmable LED light fitting and switch still causes flickering in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net