Currently reading:
Do DIN blocks need to be coloured?

Discuss Do DIN blocks need to be coloured? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
There is a significant price difference between the standard grey wago topjob DIN connector blocks and the blue and green. Is there any reg prohibiting me from using all grey blocks for L, N and E given the cables entering them will be clearly identified?

There is a significant price difference between the standard grey wago topjob DIN connector blocks and the blue and green. Is there any reg prohibiting me from using all grey blocks for L, N and E given the cables entering them will be clearly identified?
No reg to stop you using the grey ones.....same as using an orange wago lever connector for neutrals...... as long as cables are identified as you have said

Prebuilt panels I’ve come across for gate barriers, things like that, have a brown and blue for the main incoming…. But everything else is grey…. Except for the GY mentioned.

I don’t believe there is a reg, even for the gy ones that grip the rail.

It would be nice if the job can afford to have nice colour coded connections but in the real world where cost is a factor then cheaper grey ones are fine

As mentioned above so long as the cable core has a wind of coloured tape then it meets the regs

Terminals should be marked with their purpose
how it is done is down to you.
I have in the past used all sorts of measures, from colours to printed labels, heat shrink, even an indelible marker next to the terminals.
but if they are all the same colour then real they should be marked in some way, even if it just the cable markers on the opposing cables.

Regulation 514.3.2

Except where identification is not required, the cores of cables should be identified by colour, letters or numbers. Every core of a cable must be identifiable at its terminations and preferably throughout its length (Regulation 514.3.2).

I do see where James is coming from that if we are to identify the cores , you may also want to identify the connection

That's not a regulation I'm familiar with, could you provide a regulation number for it?
If you think about it - take a thingamy out of it's box to be wired up and you expect to find L - E - N stamped or stickered next to the terminals. Whether it's actually stated as a part of BS7671 or not, it's clearly good practice to avoid ambiguity.

That said, as context is everything, if you were fabricating a junction box for eg a heating system, say something a bit more custom that needed either a DIN or connector strip approach, you probably wouldn't get out the labeller for that unless there was a high chance of being followed by someone else.

I always like to 'think of the next bloke' so when doing a big junction box situation where you have loads of mixed cables connected in one box its nice to label things up.
Takes what an extra 5 minutes to get the label machine out

I always like to 'think of the next bloke' so when doing a big junction box situation where you have loads of mixed cables connected in one box its nice to label things up.
Takes what an extra 5 minutes to get the label machine out
I've been known to lable 'gas', 'water' etc on bonding cables at the MET for this reason

I've been known to lable 'gas', 'water' etc on bonding cables at the MET for this reason
Exactly this

It takes 5 minutes extra on a re-wire to actually label the bonding cables etc , so the nxt bloke can easily see what is what.

Same if you have any cables coiled up in the back of the board for future use, label them up with what they do and where they go so the next bloke who opens up the board can see exactly whats what

Reply to Do DIN blocks need to be coloured? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock