Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy electrical condition report, what action to take? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey fella's, I was called to a property this week to replace the CU and issue certification for the job. The home owner had only just purchased the place so I asked if he had the condition report, to which he did.

After examining the report, starting my schedule of inspections and throughout the testing procedure I noted the following issues -

No supplementary bonding present including boiler
No gas bonding
No presence of RCD (Old fuse wired style wooden 1960's equipment)
Burnt out dimmer switch in kitchen
single insulation supplying gu10 lamps in kitchen with open strip connector block touching onto downlight trim
Insulation resistance tests failed on downstairs sockets even though last spark issued +299
Insulation resistance failed on downstairs lighting circuit even though he issued a pass
2g Sockets in bathroom
Wrong size cable conductors in various circuits
r1 r2 readings massively varied from his results on days prior
He made no comments regarding no presence of rcd and issued a satisfactory / pass on the cert
Exposed copper and unsheathed earth conductors in a sockets

The above is the basic gist of it however their was more. Obviously I did not issue a cert and wrote out a notification of a potentially dangerous electrical installation.

Can anyone advise on where to go from here, obviously I want to rectify the existing work and issue my cert so we can close the job off but the customer wants to take it up with his solicitor as the condition report was incorrect.

Should I let my scheme provider know in advance and seek advice from them?

Btw, merry Christmas to all on here

Cheers
:drunk:

Yes, your scheme provider will give guidance - but more importantly - what do you know about the guy who did the report? Is he a member of a scheme, qualified?

If so, there's a good route for complaint. The solicitor/your client would have grounds to demand return of any payment made.

Hey fella's, I was called to a property this week to replace the CU and issue certification for the job. The home owner had only just purchased the place so I asked if he had the condition report, to which he did.

After examining the report, starting my schedule of inspections and throughout the testing procedure I noted the following issues -

No gas bonding
single insulation supplying gu10 lamps in kitchen with open strip connector block touching onto downlight trim
Insulation resistance tests failed on downstairs sockets even though last spark issued +299
Insulation resistance failed on downstairs lighting circuit even though he issued a pass
2g Sockets in bathroom
He made no comments regarding no presence of rcd and issued a satisfactory / pass on the cert

The above is the basic gist of it however their was more. Obviously I did not issue a cert and wrote out a notification of a potentially dangerous electrical installation.

Can anyone advise on where to go from here, obviously I want to rectify the existing work and issue my cert so we can close the job off but the customer wants to take it up with his solicitor as the condition report was incorrect.

Cheers

1/3

2/3

2/3

2/3

further investigation

1/3

show the customer what you have found....and your concerns with the report....

then price for remedials as found= get paid

You will have the details of the previous inspector from the report, check on the competent persons website to see if he is registered with a self certification scheme (though there is no requirement for him to be so registered).
If he is registered (on the EICR completion scheme side) then the home owner can go through their complaints procedure.
It is vitally important that your assessment is also correct according to the regulations and does conflict with the information on the report.

It is unlikely that you will get very far as the report is a personal viewpoint of the inspector with regard to the regulations, but it will primarily be down to the home owner to follow this up.
It is generally not worth getting into a war of words with a previous worker. Stick to the electrical installation work as Glenn has said above.

smacks of the seller getting the eicr done . " put what you like , but make sure it's a satisfactory. here's £50".

smacks of the seller getting the eicr done . " put what you like , but make sure it's a satisfactory. here's £50".

You beat me to it Tel that was exactly what I was thinking

You beat me to it Tel that was exactly what I was thinking

Cheers, some good comments here. So advise client of remedial works, tell him I can't issue cert until this is completed, notify scheme provider in meantime.

My concern is that the customer may take a while back and forth with the socitors and seller, we have installed something that is currently uncertified (unless we issue cert less the circuits that failed).

Looking at it, I don't think they even touched it as you know with those type of boards, not easy to access and the lot had to come off to get into it, the results kind of confirm my suspicions - the fifty quid and here's you paperwork sounds about right, cowboys!

No c1, c2 or c3's recorded either!

No gas bonding
2g Sockets in bathroom

Cheers

I'm thinking you should submit your finding to your customer - the BUYER of the property.

The BUYER should then consult his Solicitor with the view of suing the SELLER ( the bloke who sold you the property )

It's then up to the SELLER to take the matter up with the bloke who did the "testing" and issued the certificate.

YOU are then out of the equation until such times as your customer - the BUYER - decides what he wants to do, but if you've been straight with him he'll recognise this and hopefully give you the remedial work.

Regarding "Scheme Providers"; by all means write them a note giving the name etc. of the cowboy report writer and details of the faults you found but don't expect much to come of it. They don't want anything to get in the way of the KERCHING!!! factor, and don't bother seeking - or expecting "advice" from them - you don't need it - you have had it all from the lads here.

At the end of the day, the BUYER has had his trousers taken down and NONE of it is your fault or problem.

Just kind of sucks and defeats the purpose of us all being certified and paying fees, epsecially when things go wrong, they should be checking this stuff out otherwise let everyone do DIY if there's no consequences for shoddy work.

Just kind of sucks and defeats the purpose of us all being certified and paying fees, epsecially when things go wrong, they should be checking this stuff out otherwise let everyone do DIY if there's no consequences for shoddy work.

I agree with you and so does everyone else on this forum and that's why some lads here are trying to get things changed, but let's not forge thet the easiest way to get things changed is to not let them get messed-up in the first place and it has to be aid that maybe we were caught with our trousers down when we allowed Part - P and all the scams to be born in the first place.

Even then it wasn't too late - we had the choice of joining or not joining.

Those who chose join gave the whole b' tard set-up some semblance of legitimacy.

Problem is the folk in this country are like a lot of sheep - or if you like, lambs being led to the slaughter and NOT just about Part - P or other things electrical either!

We need to rediscover our backbone and start standing up for ourselves - fast!

You dont need to be part of a scheme to do a PIR (EICR) just competent, which is not the case obviously! It should have been the buyer getting the testing done in my opinion, or at least a test of his own to compare. Part P is not to blame, at least it is an effort to improve standards, what needs to change is the enforcement of those that dont register work, at least then I wont feel like such a mug paying over £500 to the scams.

I do agree, after recently moving back from Oz after five years - this country has got worse for sure! We moved back to be with family but at this rate we will be p$%#g off again. Makes you wonder who's making all the money, non for profit my arse, more like the mafia!

Went to an address today, 6mm single sheathed red conductor supplying the lighting circuit on both floors of a terraced house, rcd doesn't work and the earth used as a live on numerous ceiling roses. Makes me think, what's the point informing building regs if nobody is going to read it or give a ----?

Scheme seams a bit flawed tbh wouldn't you say?

Why cant you issue the cert anyway with the codes shown by Glenn?
Installation condition report is just that, a statement (all be it in great detail) of what is there.

Boydy

Am I missing something here, you installed a replacement CU, and you should have highlighted the lack of bonding on the quote/estimate you gave prior to doing the job.

Sounds like your EIC will be a more accurate "picture" of the install - so fill it out, makes notes about the issues, install the bonding, deal with LABC notification, submit invoice and walk away.

Reply to Dodgy electrical condition report, what action to take? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock