Currently reading:
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

Beware plumbers!!!.jpg

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

Beware plumbers!!!.jpg

Whoever set out those tiles needs to be shot, above the window is near exact three tiles high and there are different cuts on either side, easiest thing in the world to make the niche the same height, Oh and the socket and pendant light.
Agreed, the lower bay tile rows don't even align with the reveals or walls. The floor is clearly uneven so instead of just adjusting the skirting tile cuts they have adjusted the first row of the tapered edged tiles also in places so its a lash up to say the least. Obviously the builder has done all the works himself to save a few bob and as usual, as you often find with many builders the finer details are very rough!

Whoever set out those tiles needs to be shot, above the window is near exact three tiles high and there are different cuts on either side, easiest thing in the world to make the niche the same height, Oh and the socket and pendant light.
I agree setting out this correctly would have made all the difference to the finish. To be fair though looking at the picture the walls, ceiling and floor look very uneven so it may not have been possible to work in the 3 full tiles as you suggested. This though is no excuse for the lack of thought, poor design and very bad workmanship!!

What's the betting that the metal socket face plate is not bonded back 😜

if the single core cable has a layer of insulation on it underneath the heat resistant sleeve, then presumably it is a double insulated cable?

sorry, i misunderstood, i presumed that there was a cover to clip over them that was not in the picture.

Quite Simpley it doesn't comply with the reg's in my opinion and because of that you should not install them.

Remember, If the place burns down or someone is injured, It is the installer (YOU) that they come after.
Financially you will probably be ok as your insurance company will probably settle the bill if you can show that the installation was done to approved standards of the time.

Hmmm, even back to the 16th edition, i remember that single insulated cables had to be enclosed to protect from accidental damage, so you might be on a sticky wicket there.
insurance may decline payment due to the fact you have been negligent.

however, you have followed the manufacturers instructions ( I presume you have read them and followed them)
so you could pass on the liability to the manufacturer if they have sold you something unsuitable for the environment that it is designed to be installed in.

NOT a position I would like to be in.

bottom line is just use a better designed light fitting, if you think it looks unsafe, don't wire it up!!!

I won't fit those ones. I looked into this a little once. The instruction manual for a Knightsbridge RDB1 refers to BS7671 and includes the step "replace terminal cover". Quite simply, there isn't one! It looks as though it is designed to have one but all you get is this:
1663185328209.png

They shouldn't be allowed to be sold in the UK IMHO.

I did a job recently and the customer got around 60 chrome downlights off the interweb and the connections were exactly like above , there was no way possible to enclose the cores in the connection lid it was made in such a way the cores ( around 18mm) were on display...

I got a role of black insulation tape and wrapped the connectors in black tape , called myself a rough house badger all the way home but job is done now

I did a job recently and the customer got around 60 chrome downlights off the interweb and the connections were exactly like above , there was no way possible to enclose the cores in the connection lid it was made in such a way the cores ( around 18mm) were on display...

I got a role of black insulation tape and wrapped the connectors in black tape , called myself a rough house badger all the way home but job is done now

Delroy would be proud

I can imagine in a few years time pics of them being uploaded on here, probably by Del 🤣 Edit: I see DPG had the same thoughts.

Believe me I had uncle Del in my head saying 'no way , no was a qualified electrician done that'

But the fittings were made in such a way that the lid had a gap in it around 17/18mm where the cores were on show, just like in the picture above

Short of dismantling the whole things and somehow making my own connection enclosures, tape was the next best I could do as the job was over running and I really didn't want to go back

Honestly, why did you not just say NO, I am not fitting them?

Believe me I had uncle Del in my head saying 'no way , no was a qualified electrician done that'

But the fittings were made in such a way that the lid had a gap in it around 17/18mm where the cores were on show, just like in the picture above

Short of dismantling the whole things and somehow making my own connection enclosures, tape was the next best I could do as the job was over running and I really didn't want to go back
What did insulation tape achieve, nothing. If you had any integrity you would not have done this let alone admit to it.

Honestly, why did you not just say NO, I am not fitting them?
In hindsight I probably should have refused to fit them / told them to get another electrician if they wanted them fitted but it was one of them jobs ( friend of the family ) where I just wanted to get the job finished and move on

The tape covers the gap in the supplied connection point where the cores are visible , once taped up you can not see the cores unless you unwind all the tape
If you think insulation tape provides mechanical protection for conductor insulation which is what the cable sheath is for then maybe you spend too much time on YouTube. Saying you cannot see the cores is a somewhat bizarre comment.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock