Currently reading:
Earth Leakage, concerns and solutions - Shower

Discuss Earth Leakage, concerns and solutions - Shower in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

Good evening all, Happy Weekend :D

Just thought I'd post another thread as I have given my earth leakage clamp meter an outing today and need to learn a little more about the results I am receiving.

Firstly, 16th Edition board - RCD - Shower, Cooker, Sockets, Sockets, Sockets and then two lighting circuits on the unprotected side.

Called to a job because everytime they turn on the shower the RCD trips. No loose terminals in entire board or shower unit. Checked the isolator switch to find that one of the terminals on the neutral had a snapped screw. This could be undone with long nose pliars and the copper had turned an almost silver colour so I thought I was onto a solution. I replaced the switch with a new MK type after I had IR'd on a 250 and 500v test, both supply and load cable came back with maximum readings. Refitted everything ensuring all connections were tight and fired up shower again.

The shower pulls 34.6 amps on a 40A breaker.

On packing up my tools and after running shower for approx 20 minutes, TRIP! Damn, wasn't that then lol

Clamped my earth leakage meter onto the shower circuit cpc and obtained very high readings, high as in exceeding 30mA high on one instance.

Now, I have left the circuit isolated because like I explained to the client I could remain there for the rest of the day testing and looking for faults BUT all it will do mostly is rack up the hourly charges and I still believe the fault is related to the shower.

When clamping the main earth even with the shower running I couldn't get a reading over 10mA (100A main fuse)

The shower is now running for much longer as originally it would trip everything immediately before (although it did not trip immediately on arrival).

My thoughts are that I could move this shower circuit onto an unprotected way and use a 40A RCBO thus reducing issues with the rest of the property being affected if the circuit trips. Can anyone say that they see any concerns with this proposal giving the high earth leakage that was detected? I've read that an installation should not exceed 10mA earth leakage if protected with 100A fuse, can anyone shed any light on this matter that will aid me making a decision? It's too easy to say your shower has had it you need to spend a couple of hundred quid to swap it when swapping in a 20 quid RCBO may resolve the issue or at least make the installation far safer.

What would be the maximum earth leakage you would expect to see on something like this? I have seen that a cooker max should be approx 5mA?

It's great having these fancy bits of kit but useless if you cannot read the results correctly.

Any assistance would be much appreciated, it would also be great if someone could point me to some literature that would benefit me as I want to understand this issue.

This is an ongoing fault finding exercise, which is why the shower remains isolated to try and eliminate/prove the where the fault is without running up too much expense in labour.

Kind Regards

1SC

Clamped my earth leakage meter onto the shower circuit cpc and obtained very high readings, high as in exceeding 30mA high on one instance.

Probably the element breaking down, or dampness when the shower is actually running.

My thoughts are that I could move this shower circuit onto an unprotected way and use a 40A RCBO thus reducing issues with the rest of the property being affected if the circuit trips

Nothing stopping you doing this (price of RCBO aside), this would alleviate the total (normal) leakage currents on solitary RCD, and the reason you have already said.

Probably the element breaking down, or dampness when the shower is actually running.

Nothing stopping you doing this (price of RCBO aside), this would alleviate the total (normal) leakage currents on solitary RCD, and the reason you have already said.
yep...may be a result of accumilated earth leakage this.....and the shower just tips it over the edge......

I agree with Spark68, sounds like a leaky element, perhaps only when hot. Turn it on and get it hot (oh er missus) when it pops kill it then do an IR, you should really do it with both live conductors joined as you could damage the electronics.

IF it passes then try the RCBO thing, but really, that is a work around not a solution. It could mask a potential fault.

I agree with Spark68, sounds like a leaky element, perhaps only when hot. Turn it on and get it hot (oh er missus) when it pops kill it then do an IR, you should really do it with both live conductors joined as you could damage the electronics.

IF it passes then try the RCBO thing, but really, that is a work around not a solution. It could mask a potential fault.
agreed.....somethings here.....

You might not be able to IR test directly on the supply cable for this fault due to the pressure switch being open.

What you could do, is IR test directly on the element terminals (joined together) to the Earth.

yep...may be a result of accumilated earth leakage this.....and the shower just tips it over the edge......

The other circuits didn't even produce 3mA when tested but the RCD did trip when these circuits were on with shower. Even when the boiler kicked in with the central heating and hot water.

My thought is take the main offender out using RCBO (Send it to solitary confinement;) ) to prevent the installation from tripping. This will be a cheap fix and also prove if the shower unit needs replacing if the RCBO starts to trip in the future.

I could not see any evidence of any leaks but having said that I did not run the shower with the cover off and didn't check it afterwards either *point noted*

Thanks in advance

The other circuits didn't even produce 3mA when tested but the RCD did trip when these circuits were on with shower. Even when the boiler kicked in with the central heating and hot water.

My thought is take the main offender out using RCBO (Send it to solitary confinement;) ) to prevent the installation from tripping. This will be a cheap fix and also prove if the shower unit needs replacing if the RCBO starts to trip in the future.

I could not see any evidence of any leaks but having said that I did not run the shower with the cover off and didn't check it afterwards either *point noted*

Thanks in advance
put the shower on a spare way in the c/u....one that doesn`t go through the RCD...just for testing purposes....get it going and crank it up full pelt for a while......shut it off and then IR it at 1000V......

Again, S68 is correct. I should have thought of that but one really shouldn't give advice this detailed whilst enjoying a good Rioja.

If you are concerned about CPC currents, isolate all other circuits and run the shower. If it still trips, it is a new unit, not an RCBO.

Trying the RCBO approach as an initial fix, is probably the best way to go!!
Also as Sparky 68 suggests try IR testing at the element itself both ends to earth... This could well be a case of the element begining to break down internally...

Also as Sparky 68 suggests try IR testing at the element itself both ends to earth... This could well be a case of the element begining to break down internally...
well i`m sorry eng ..but as someone who looks on RCDs somewhat dubiously...i find this post strange.....

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Engineer54

I would do this anyway, to prevent the shower from tripping most of the installation out, in the event of a fault (just like this one).

Also to provide some load balancing at the CU, as the shower is on the same side as the cooker and RFC's at the moment, there are only lighting circuits on the other side of the board.

Almost certainly leakage from element(s) to heater tank. A hot element-tank IR test should confirm this. Replace the heater tank or complete shower unit. Once an element starts to breakdown it will only get progressively worse.

Coming to this one a bit late, I know, but if you can get your current clamp around both the line and neutral supplying the shower, set to the mA range, you will see exactly the same differential current from that circuit that the RCB sees. This should be a more accurate picture of the situation than just clamping the cpc (although it's a good start) which can be affected by parallel earth paths through pipework.

Thanks for your input HandySparks. I will have to try this method on the next opportunity:thumbsup

Received an update this afternoon. No tripping since shower circuit has been isolated :)
yes because the difference between the 2 is the imballance that the RCD senses.....and a ramp test will tell you at what point it lets go....giving you a max value difference before it lets go.....

but dont forget that accumilated earth leakage will play a part here so you could ramp the RCD...with all final circuits/connected loads fed by that RCD on......that will take into account accumilated earth leakage the higher they are...the lower your ramp should be

Reply to Earth Leakage, concerns and solutions - Shower in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock